Pittsburgh's Penn (Union) Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Can anyone describe the inside of Pittsburgh's Penn station (aka Union staion)? What's the waiting area like? Are there places to eat? Any description would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hi, Can anyone describe the inside of Pittsburgh's Penn station (aka Union staion)? What's the waiting area like? Are there places to eat? Any description would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I was there last year taking the Capitol Limited to DC( actually Rockville to be precise) and I can honestly say that at 6am ( and probably at all other times) it's as forlorn a waiting area as you'll never want to see. My recollection was a bunch of vending machines, a ticket office and some noveau fifties plastic chairs. This may have been upgraded some since last year but I'd be surprised. Bring a book and plenty of your own liquids( and solids too!)

Ed

I was there last year taking the Capitol Limited to DC( actually Rockville to be precise) and I can honestly say that at 6am ( and probably at all other times) it's as forlorn a waiting area as you'll never want to see. My recollection was a bunch of vending machines, a ticket office and some noveau fifties plastic chairs. This may have been upgraded some since last year but I'd be surprised. Bring a book and plenty of your own liquids( and solids too!)
Sounds the same as my wait in SLC for the eastbound #6 (from 10 PM - after my flight arrived - until 3 or 4 AM) a few years back. It didn't have much more - but it did have a TV! :rolleyes: (Too bad Carson Daley ends at 1 AM in SLC. After that, I can't remember what was on.)

Hi Amanda,

I've never been there, but read a partial description of it in a news piece I found online a few months ago. It agrees with the descriptions that everyone else has been posting. But this is a nice opportunity to post this article, that is a nice sort of Amtrak trip report published in the mainstream news that others may be interested in reading!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08020/850096-37.stm

Pittsburgh is the station I use. The previous descriptions are correct. One room in the basement of the former Penn Station, the tracks are one floor up via elevator, stairs, or escalator. Ticket windows, restrooms, and vending machines complete the waiting room. Parking is very limited, the Greyhound Bus Station and its parking garage across Liberty Ave. has been demolished and is being replaced with a new Greyhound Station and new parking garage. There are restaurants in the area, station staff can direct you, but most are closed when the early morning trains arrive and depart. The station is safe, is checked by police periodically, and is staffed most of the time.

Amanda,

I agree with everything said so far about the PGH station. I took the Capitol Limtied to PGH and on the return trip caught the CL to Chicago from PGH. During the 2 hour layover in the early hours of the morning we walked to the US Steel building to a Starbucks. It was Christmas Season so there was a beautiful life-size Nativity right in the downtown. Very nice Christmas atmosphere. The long wait was on the return to Chicago, 4 hours. The station attendant did assist waiting passengers to order for takeout to local restaurants that delivered to the station. If I were to do that trip again I think I would like to make reservations at one of the better restaurants in the downtown area and enjoy a long leisurely meal instead of sitting in the station. Cabs are available. In any event, I found the old passenger drop off/pick up area very interesting. There is a large vaulted dome that sheltered the passengers of years ago. The paved area is made of concentric circles of bricks and the names of the cities served are cast into the supports of the dome. You can peep into what used to be the Pennsy waiting room (Great Hall) but it is a private building now so I was not able to get in at the odd hours I was there. I find many places that are not known for great sights and diversions can be interesting if one has a little curiosity and creativity. Have a good trip.

We're taking the train to Pittsburgh this summer. After we're dropped off at 5:30 in the morning, what's around there? Is the neighborhood OK? Is there a Denny's or someplace to go for breakfast?

We're probably going to go to the airport to pick up our rental car (and my MIL). Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to get there?

...We're probably going to go to the airport to pick up our rental car (and my MIL). Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to get there?
There is an express bus from downtown Pittsburgh to PIT airport. The cost is $2.60 (exact change only!). It picks up at Seventh and Smithfield, about three blocks from the Amtrak station and gets to the airport in about 35 minutes. First departure is 5:08am (5:13am weekends) and runs every 30 minutes or better.
PIT is a haul from downtown Pittsburgh. A cab would cost a fortune ($35 or so plus tip).

28X Airport Flyer

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back