Points for Rail Fare - Cash for Upgrade

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
Hey folks,

Hope you can help. I am trying to reserve an upcoming trip using a combo of points and cash. I want to use points to cover my railfare from PHL-CIN next week and then pay cash to upgrade to a sleeper. After getting passed around from reservations to AGR to reservations and back to AGR - I got a little dizzy.

Basically they told me I'm out of luck, I can only pay cash for everything - or use points for everything. Does this policy seem right? If so, anyone have any ideas to get around it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

ExtonFlyer

Yes, you can only pay cash for the whole thing, or pay points for the whole thing. An AGR award for coach includes the rail fare. An AGR award for a sleeper includes the room PLUS THE RAIL FARE! So you either need 5,500 points for a 1 zone coach award, or 15,000 for a 1 zone sleeper award. The only way you could pay to upgrade to a sleeper is to do an onboard upgrade - assuming there are any rooms available once you get on.

Besides AGR can not touch a paid reservation, and an Amtrak agent normally can not touch an AGR award ticket reservation.

Yes, you can only pay cash for the whole thing, or pay points for the whole thing. An AGR award for coach includes the rail fare. An AGR award for a sleeper includes the room PLUS THE RAIL FARE! So you either need 5,500 points for a 1 zone coach award, or 15,000 for a 1 zone sleeper award. The only way you could pay to upgrade to a sleeper is to do an onboard upgrade - assuming there are any rooms available once you get on.
Besides AGR can not touch a paid reservation, and an Amtrak agent normally can not touch an AGR award ticket reservation.
Thanks Traveler - I do appreciate your insight.

Yeah, since the upgrade to sleeper was only $100 - I didn't want to part with 15,000pts. I'm going to go the all cash route . At least I'll get the double points on my AGR mastercard :)

It is possible to BUY Rewards Points. It takes a day or to for you purchase to show on your account but that's one way around your problem.

OP said the upgrade to sleeper was only $100 - to buy the 9,500 additional points (between a coach award and a sleeper award) would cost over $250! :rolleyes:

Buy a ticket for $100 more, or buy points for $250+ to redeem an AGR award! Something doesn't seem right! :blink:

It is possible to BUY Rewards Points. It takes a day or to for you purchase to show on your account but that's one way around your problem.
Thanks Kevin - I actually have plenty of points - I'm just being stingy :) 15,000 points for a sleeper that only costs $100 didn't feel right. I used 15,000 points earlier this year for a sleeper PHL-TPA - that would have cost $480++. Saving my points for trips like that!

Back