points vs. paid

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manderson

Service Attendant
Going from Seattle to Toronto on points in a roomette, which is a 3-zoner for 35,000 -- EB/LSL/ML. Toledo is at the zone border, right? So if I booked from Seattle to Toledo on points, it would be a 2-zoner for 20,000 points. Then book a paid ticket from Toledo to Toronto for around $220 (roomette plus business class). Subtracting out the $52 it would cost me anyway for a paid business class ticket from Niagara Falls to Toronto, because you can't get all the way to Toronto on points, nets me a cost of $168.00 to save 15,000 in points. This seems like a good deal to me -- yes?

What would be the best way for me to book this so that I don't end up stumbling around at 3:00 a.m. in Toledo changing from one roomette to another?

When you call AGR to book the award portion, they can also book the paid portion and should be able to grab the same roomette. I agree that it would be a poor use of points to get the three zone award, I would buy from Toledo, too.

I agree with jb64. I also would buy a ticket from TOL. With AGR "in house" now, they can book both the award and the paid ticket - and keep you in the same room!
smile.gif

Excellent, thanks. I want to be ready to book it when and if the Express Deal price for sleepers on the Canadian becomes more reasonable again (for the trip back to the west coast).

Back