Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABDeh88

Train Attendant
Pardon the ignorance here!

So, I just enrolled to AGR via a referral from a member here. (Thanks!)

That is 500 for him for referring and 500 for me for enrolling.

He suggested I refer my wife, so I did. That will be 500 for her once she enrolls, and 500 more for me for referring her.

I just called up AGR and told them about my trip yesterday. It should be 168 points (at 2 points per dollar) regularly but it will come out to 336 because I signed up for the double points promotion.

So between my wife and I we should have 1836 points, correct?

Thank you!

No the total will actually be 2,172 AGR points, but account totals can not be combined per se. You will each have 1,336 AGR points in your account and she will have 836 in her account. But the points do add up.

My sister does not travel as much as I do, but I signed her up prior to a trip years ago. She has since redeemed 2 awards - and is working toward a third!

Thanks traveler! Can you explain the breakdown?
I'm going way out on a limb here and may be banned from ever even typing the_traveler's name again, but I think the point breakdown is this:

• YOU:
  • 500 for joining AGR. (subtotal = 500)
  • 500 more when your wife joins (subtotal = 1,000)
  • 336 for for recent trip. (subtotal = 1,336) of all these points, 168 count as "rail points", but ALL points count towards redemption of travel awards.

• WIFE:
  • 500 for joining AGR (subtotal= 500)
  • 336 for for recent trip. (subtotal = 836)

You CAN transfer points between accounts, FOR A FEE, but only in blocks of 1,000.

Dave, how'd I do?

Ok so we each get 336 since there was two of us?
As long as you EACH had a ticket, that normally "earned" 168 points, then yes.
If you had used a "free companion ticket", then NO, only you would have earned the 336, because the second ticket would have been considered FREE, and you usually (almost always) cannot earn points when traveling on a FREE or AWARD ticket.

That does NOT apply to VOUCHER travel however. If you receive a VOUCHER from Amtrak for "whatever" reason, when you redeem it, make sure to have your AGR number linked to the ticket.

Ok I think I see what happened. Yes, there were two, one roundtrip each, but eack ticket only earned 84 (2 roundtrips @ $42 each). So two tix are 168. Double points is 336 TOTAL. So 168 each.

Me: 500+500+168=1168

Her: 500+168=668

Total rail points 168

I apologize if I'm making this more difficult than it is.

eack ticket only earned 84 (2 roundtrips @ $42 each). So two tix are 168. Double points is 336 TOTAL. So 168 each.
Not quite right! But in a good way!
smile.gif

I assume the tickets were $21 each way, and you only took 1 train (with no connections). You do earn 2 AGR points per dollar - but with a 100 AGR point minimum awarded per segment! Thus your $21 segment (because doubled would result in 42 points - which is below the minimum) would earn 100 AGR points! And the return would be the same (earning 100 points). And the same for your wife!
biggrin.gif
Then these points - due to the Spring promotion - would be doubled!
biggrin.gif

Thus you each earned 200 AGR point each way, or 400 AGR points round trip!
tongue.gif

So your account will show the following

• Point A to B = 200 points
  • Point B to A = 200 points
  • Referral bonus = 500 points

Total = 1,400 points

Your wife's account will show the following

• Point A to B = 200 points
  • Point B to A = 200 points

Total = 900 points

So both of you combined have earned 2,500 AGR points!
cool.gif

Back