Policy questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnB

Train Attendant
1) For my trip to DFB next February on the SM 97, I am ticketed on the 93 NR from BOS to NYP. This service departs at 9 40A and allows sufficient time to meet the SM in NYP. Now, sometimes I don't sleep well on the night prior to a trip. If I were to arrive at BOS in time to make the 95 NR that departs at 6 15A AND there were seats available would it be possible to use that train with the purchased tickets. (Hope this makes sense).

2) I have been noticing on the Amtrak status maps that the SM 98 rarely makes it to NYP on time. If that train is late enough that I miss the ticketed connection to BOS, what is Amtrak's policy . . . seat on the next available train? What if that next train were the Acela?

Finally, having nothing at all to do with policy.

3) For those who have used both. Would you prefer to kill 2-3 hours in the "lounge" in BOS or NYP.

Thanks.

John

1) No. When eTicketing goes systemwide later this year, many of the conductor "courtesies" such as allowing passengers to ride trains other than the one booked will not be permitted, except in exceptional circumstances (service disruptions). Book the train you intend to take, and if you aren't going to take that train, make sure you rebook before your scheduled departure, or your entire itinerary may cancel.

2) You'll be reaccommodated, probably on the next available regional. It is very unlikely that they would put you on an Acela, except again in very extreme circumstances.

From personal experience, I can tell you that they will not put you on the Acela.

1) IF e-ticketing is not rolled out (Amtrak has been known to delay things
rolleyes.gif
), at South Station they have gate agents who check your tickets to make sure you're on the right train. If your ticket is for a later train, they will either A) send you to the ticket counter to get a ticket for that train - maybe at a higher bucket than what you paid, or B) not let you board at all! My recommendation is to use a Red Cap. (BTW: Back Bay does not have gate agents!)

2) They will put you on the next Regional.

3) BOS is much better, but if you have a long layover in NYP - I'd say use NYP. If for nothing else more quiet and CLEAN rest rooms!

Thanks for the replies. Didn't really expect the answer I received to the first question. I mistakenly thought it was like the airlines (standby, etc.). So I am glad I asked.

I was sure that even if the Acela was the next train, that would be a no go. This is the only part of the trip that is worrisome because of Amtrak's record of late arrivals. If late, means I spend a night in a hotel in either Boston or Portland, ME. :angry: Oh well. :eek:hboy:

Would you prefer to kill 2-3 hours in the "lounge" in BOS or NYP.
Why not both? If I'm on a leisure trip, I like to get the most mileage I can out of my lounge privileges! :p

*EDIT*

Boston has a much prettier Club Acela than New York, but I'm so rarely in either city I don't spend much time in either lounge.
I've heard that about Boston too. But while I've never actually been to the lounge in BOS, I can say that I was not nearly as impressed with the lounge in NYP compared with the ones in WAS and PHL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Didn't really expect the answer I received to the first question. I mistakenly thought it was like the airlines (standby, etc.). So I am glad I asked.
In most cases, standing by for a flight other than the one you booked will cost you either a flat fee, a fare difference, or both.

Standby doesn't work on Amtrak because 1) you don't actually have a count of how many people are on board/how many seats are left until after the train has departed the station, and 2) with many stops enroute, you wouldn't know if someone downline was going to no-show or not for the seat you're taking now.

In the end, you just have to take advantage of Amtrak's lack of change fees and pay (or even receive a credit for) the difference between the old and new fare.

In most cases, standing by for a flight other than the one you booked will cost you either a flat fee, a fare difference, or both.

Standby doesn't work on Amtrak because 1) you don't actually have a count of how many people are on board/how many seats are left until after the train has departed the station, and 2) with many stops enroute, you wouldn't know if someone downline was going to no-show or not for the seat you're taking now.

In the end, you just have to take advantage of Amtrak's lack of change fees and pay (or even receive a credit for) the difference between the old and new fare.
There really isn't any reason why Amtrak couldn't let you standby on another train, as long as you realise you aren't guaranteed a seat and may have to stand in the aisle. A train isn't a plane and can carry more people than there are seats. Hence, the existence of unreserved trains. (Heck, I've been on a "reserved" train before and not gotten a seat even when paying full fare!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back