Pre-trip Covid 19 check question.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What "elitists" want people to die? Seems to me the "elites" are tearing their hair out in frustration trying to get more people vaccinated and doing other stuff to keep them from getting sick. And good news, if you're vaccinated, even with the reduced immunity to infection over time, you're still pretty well protected from betting really sick and dying. I've only been tested twice, once when I took a trip in the summer of 2020 and once before a minor diagnostic procedure. I've actually been healthier during this period of the pandemic than I was beforehand. I used to get a viral crud every spring and fall, but not since Covid. I credit that to social distancing and being pretty hardcore about wearing my mask when there are lots of other people present.
Maybe he's speaking of a certain political party that values money more than they value humans. ;)

REMINDER: Please keep the discussion on the topic of Pre-trip COVID 19 check (and avoid discussion of politics and political parties). Thank you.

I have to fill out a similar questionnaire every day before I report to work. It's slightly inconvenient, but on the whole, it's better that this information is collected than that someone says, "Oh, I didn't realize that having a cough and fever was something that should keep me at home."

If you believe everyone answers the questions truthfully then I'm glad I've never traveled with you.
How does anyone answering the questions untruthfully justify extending the time to answer those questions? They want answers that apply close to departure, not what was going on 2, 3, etc days before. If you answered those questions 3 days before departure and then found out that you were in contact with someone with COVID 1 day before departure, your answers would be lies, would they not, since the questions apply to your departure date? I certainly would not want you on my train...
Maybe you elitists need to ban the rest of us from traveling altogether?
You think I'm an elitist? That is an insult!

Because I can't GET the data in less than24 hours where I live.
Precisely what data do you think it is that you can't get in 24 hours?

Perhaps instead of calling people names you should read the email you got a little more closely and think long and hard about where the obscure data they are asking you for can be obtained.

Just as a correlated datapoint: I flew from Amsterdam to Vancouver on Saturday, not one sneeze, cough, sniffing whatsoever.
Normally there's always 'airway-noice' in the cabin.

Now if that's all because we are all staying at home if feeling a bit down the weather or we're just not getting all those other virusses because of social distancing...?

Just as a correlated datapoint: I flew from Amsterdam to Vancouver on Saturday, not one sneeze, cough, sniffing whatsoever.
Normally there's always 'airway-noice' in the cabin.

Now if that's all because we are all staying at home if feeling a bit down the weather or we're just not getting all those other virusses because of social distancing...?
It's probably a bit of both, which isn't a bad thing.

How do you know if someone has it anyway? I meet many people everyday and never see them again. I don’t know if they get sick later. To me the question is meaningless.

Just to be clear - Amtrak has no requirement for a negative COVID-19 test in order to board the train. The email that I've received in the past startled me a bit too (it was unexpected and I didn't 100% know what to expect) but it worked out fine. The line that might be tripping some people up is the "waiting for a diagnostic COVID-19 test" - which just means that if you were tested due to having COVID-19 symptoms, you need to wait for those results to come back (and ensure that you don't have COVID-19) before boarding the train.

That said, I really don't see the value of it other than perhaps some sort of cover-your-butt move from Amtrak. I'm not even sure what happens if you don't fill it out - there was one trip back in July where I didn't receive the email, so I didn't fill out the form, and nothing happened on board. It'd be just as useful for Amtrak to send a reminder out a few days before the trip reminding people not to travel when they're sick - and if the liability part is needed, have a customized link that, when pressed, confirms that they have read and understood the COVID-19 requirements for travel. Right now the link is a bit of a pain because it requires entering in reservation information (which doesn't always pull up properly when using email or phone number to verify for me) and then checking off a number of boxes - with no confirmation email sent afterwards letting you know that you've completed the form.

As for lengthening the time - unless you ask people individually when they're boarding to fill it out on the spot, there's going to be a lag time where someone could fill out the form and get sick afterwards; if I have to fill it out within 24 hours of departure, so I do it the day before 20 hours before departure, but then wake up feeling a bit sick 5 hours before departure, having the form filled out doesn't mean I should travel while feeling ill! Given that, the reminder should be sent out early enough that people will see it, yet late enough that people won't forget the rules from that email. An "initial" email 72-96 hours before departure with a "reminder" email 12 hours before departure (ideally stating whether you've confirmed that you understand the rule or not) would suffice on that front. The goal, from what I can tell, isn't to use the form as some sort of "source of truth" as to whether all the passengers are safe to travel with, but rather to be a reminder not to travel when you're sick and to wear your mask when on board.

Just got off a cruise last month. Here is a list of what we had to do.

-Cruise line health assessment questionnaire 24 hours prior to departure.
-Greek PLF (Passenger Locator Form) And verified it was completed by Air Canada before allowed to get on the plane in Seattle.
-Italy PLF
-Croatia PLF
-Covid antigen test before getting on ship.
-Covid antigen test mid cruise one week after departure.
-Covid PCR test before departing ship w/copy of test results. (to re-enter USA)
-Masks to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking. (plane and ship)
-Washable cloth masks were provided by cruise line with cruise line logo. (you listening Amtrak?)

If having to fill out one Amtrak health assessment questionnaire is too much stress, stay home.

Last edited:
Because I can't GET the data in less than24 hours where I live. Congratulations that you live somewhere you can get it. I don't. I stayed home the last 24 hours. It doesn't guarantee my partner didn''t contact it. We rented a car to take us 350 miles to the closest station. Maybe you elitists need to ban the rest of us from traveling altogether?
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about or why you're blaming others for your personal difficulties. You seem to have figured everything out before you posted and are just here to rant about needing more than 24 hours to answer a simple questionnaire. I'm not sure what sort of echo chamber sold you on the idea that "elitists" are trying to ban vaccinated people from traveling but I've seen nothing of that sort here on the forum or anywhere else. Have a nice day.

I didn't realize that answering a short questionnaire was so nerve-wracking. I tend to agree it's more of a CYA move by Amtrak than anything else. At my place of work we had to fill out questionnaires before every shift and take our temperature as well. For me, and most of my co-workers, if you went by the thermometer readings, we were in danger of hypothermia, not Covid, as the thermometer almost always read "Low" 😁

I’ve been hearing about these 24 hour prior questionnaires. But over 45 nights now on board over the last 2 years and I’ve never received one, completed one, or even been asked about one. I wouldn’t stress over it. At all….

Some months back, when certain areas had travel restrictions/requirements for visitors, Amtrak did display some of the information requirements as a courtesy, and it did create some confusion, as some folks thought they were Amtrak requirements. The information requested by Amtrak is minimal, the most important thing these days is affirming acceptance of the mask policy.

I’ve been hearing about these 24 hour prior questionnaires. But over 45 nights now on board over the last 2 years and I’ve never received one, completed one, or even been asked about one. I wouldn’t stress over it. At all….
On my August SSD>PDX>RDR>SAC>DAV>DEN Amtrak trip I never was asked for the form. Good thing, because they sent the notice to my home e-mail address and I was on the return trip. The westbound trip had been replaced with bus travel due to last minute train cancellations without detours or alternatives.

I have no objection to being tested; because my retirement facility has an assisted living unit we get tested pretty often.

I didn't realize that answering a short questionnaire was so nerve-wracking. I tend to agree it's more of a CYA move by Amtrak than anything else. At my place of work we had to fill out questionnaires before every shift and take our temperature as well. For me, and most of my co-workers, if you went by the thermometer readings, we were in danger of hypothermia, not Covid, as the thermometer almost always read "Low" 😁

Escuse my confusion. I thought they wanted a covid test. 24 hours won't do it for anyone. Sue me.

Can this Pre-Trip questionaire be answered from a laptop too?

Yes I know it's a silly question but really don't know the answer. I have an aversion to smart phones and although now have one haven't got past making calls and texting (next step answering calls), and no hurry to either.

Came across this pre-trip questionaire when calling Amtrak this evening, happy to comply but how.

Thanks

Can this Pre-Trip questionaire be answered from a laptop too?

Yes I know it's a silly question but really don't know the answer. I have an aversion to smart phones and although now have one haven't got past making calls and texting (next step answering calls), and no hurry to either.

Came across this pre-trip questionaire when calling Amtrak this evening, happy to comply but how.

Thanks
Yes. You can find it here:

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/policies/covidtravel.html

Thanks Sarah, I had found the page and entered the information but then this message appeared:

'This reservation cannot be retrieved online. For assistance call 1-800-USA-RAIL.'

Maybe because the journey is 4 weeks away, or maybe because we had to phone to make the booking as it is a multi-city trip split by a 24 hour layover?

I think I'm asking will a digitial questionaire get sent by email that I can fill in via a laptop?

I think I'm asking will a digitial questionaire get sent by email that I can fill in via a laptop?
You should receive an email linking you to the questionnaire the day before your trip (once each way, if round trip). The goal is that the information is current to each originating boarding time and you have no way of knowing whether or not you'll be exposed between now and then if they sent it out any earlier.

You should receive an email linking you to the questionnaire the day before your trip (once each way, if round trip). The goal is that the information is current to each originating boarding time and you have no way of knowing whether or not you'll be exposed between now and then if they sent it out any earlier.

That's easy to do and completely understand Amtrak waiting until 24 hours before departure. I wasn't sure if a phone with the Amtrak app was the only method of completing the questionaire or whether a laptop without an app or arriving at the station an hour early to fill a paper form would work too.

Thank you

Back