President Boardman Heading to Pueblo, Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume Acela150 means testing on the NEC.

They normally do any NEC tests after dark when there's less trains on the tracks. Last major test I can think of is when they tested the Acela trainsets at 160/165 mph.

I'd say "get your cameras ready" but testing will for sure be in darkness. :(
So the true dedicated railfan who takes photos on the NEC should have a night vision camera in his equipment set? :p Such equipment can be had, albeit pricey and with grainy images, since the military restricts civilian sales of the better technology NV gear.

I would expect the first test runs on the NEC are going to be slow and over short distances to verify the signal and communication interfaces and basic operation, so they will not be that exciting to look at. the good news is that if the testing goes smoothly, we may see ACS-64s in revenue service in October. And the more troublesome AEM-7 DC units begin to be pulled from service.

I don't understand why Boardman and group doesn't ride SW Chief #3 to La Junta, uncouple there and go over to Test Track. Much closer than Denver to Test Track…..
he's the King of Amtrak!
and we are the serfs of his kingdom. seems to me like the ceo in his corporate jet at stockholder expense. what's wrong with a regular sleeping car, joe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why Boardman and group doesn't ride SW Chief #3 to La Junta, uncouple there and go over to Test Track. Much closer than Denver to Test Track…..
he's the King of Amtrak!
and we are the serfs of his kingdom. seems to me like the ceo in his corporate jet at stockholder expense. what's wrong with a regular sleeping car, joe?
Capacity? It's not like there's a whole lot of extra sleepers laying around to be used for a few days.

The majority of testing sessions take place at night. Simply cause the train activity is at a minimum. I would guess they will start as mentioned short distances then work on to speed and acceleration and stopping distance. Most of the Acela testing happened during the 12 to 4 AM range IIRC.

The extra power will probably be used to run the cars on the special train down to Pueblo and over to the test track....I too wonder why they didn't go to LaJunta....maybe just to 'scope out' the Joint Line?

edit Oh, someone already said that....I should have seen the second page before commenting..... :)

he's the King of Amtrak!
Capacity? It's not like there's a whole lot of extra sleepers laying around to be used for a few days.
don't know joe's exact dates of travel but checking tomorrow and tuesday, for example, there is sleeper space on both the cl and swc. and i'm sure joe knows "reserve early for the best prices"

The six wheel trucks on 10031 Dome Lounge - might somebody care to comment on them? Why six vs four? Weight? Smoother ride? Less rail wear? or??? And are these the new norm? Or somehow, though I doubt it, specific to 10031? ... just caught my eye - am so used to four wheel trucks.
The six-axle trucks were the norm on the Great Domes, presumably due to the much increased weight of the huge dome extension. Here's a picture of a blue GN Great Dome: http://www.gn-npjointarchive.org/GNRHSNewby/GNRHS.Newby.Bk4img103.jpg

Why in the world do they have four locos? Three would not pull the few extra cars?
On another board, it was reported that two of the locos will be removed to haul the extra cars to Pueblo.
Why do they need double units to haul a short rake of single-deck cars to Pueblo?

Time to go shooting for the AEM-7's, then!
Before we know it, they'll be gone!
Let's enjoy what we have now. Soon enough, the Heritages, Amfleets, and P42DCs will all disappear from American main lines and those F40PH lovers now are going to be yearning to see an old Genesis again!

Time to go shooting for the AEM-7's, then!
Before we know it, they'll be gone!
Once full production begins, the reported expected delivery rate for the ACS-64 is 2 a month. There are 18 active AEM-7 DCs which is 9 months of production. Amtrak may be looking to first to build up the electric locomotive fleet size by a few units before they start setting the AEM-7 DC units aside. So there is time to rack up some final days of the AEM-7 DCs images. The 29 AEM-7 ACs may outlast the HHP-8s for a while as jis noted.

Why in the world do they have four locos? Three would not pull the few extra cars?
On another board, it was reported that two of the locos will be removed to haul the extra cars to Pueblo.
Why do they need double units to haul a short rake of single-deck cars to Pueblo?
I would venture to guess that they're going to be bringing 600 and/or 601 back with them when they come back east. If you'll recall when the units made the move from SAC to Pueblo it was two diesels and an NPCU that went with the units. I want to say there's some sort of rule about hauling engines dead and the braking power that the other engines in the consist have to provide with the absence of braking power from the dead engine. So it may not be a horsepower issue so much as its a braking power issue.

he's the King of Amtrak!
don't know joe's exact dates of travel but checking tomorrow and tuesday, for example, there is sleeper space on both the cl and swc. and i'm sure joe knows "reserve early for the best prices"
You're assuming he's the only one on board that office car?

As for two locos for the trip to Pueblo, could simply be they don't want to trust just one. You know like they make us have to do on the Texas Eagle.

Which is a pretty silly assumption given they brought other sleeping cars.
I assume they took the Viewliner for testing, not for sleeping.
There are already

at Pueblo for the ACS-64s to use for testing. I don't know why adding one Viewliner would be necessary. Also, this thread says there are officials from both Amtrak and Siemens are on the train for a "press event" at the test track.

Which is a pretty silly assumption given they brought other sleeping cars.
my question is "what is the need for the whole dog and pony show"? my assumption is that smilin' joe is wasting a lot of amtrak(our) money.
Why don't you send an email to Amtrak Customer Service and ask them? :D
BTW, saw a photo or two of the special. It includes in addition to Beech Grove, what is AFAIR now called Pacific Command, Ocean View and a Viewliner.

The special consist will apparently be tacked on to 4(28) at La Junta today with engine 184. 167 will stay at TTC.

my question is "what is the need for the whole dog and pony show"? my assumption is that smilin' joe is wasting a lot of amtrak(our) money.
I'm not so sure it would be a waste of money, it looks like flights from DC to Pueblo, Co are anywhere from $500 to $1000 roundtrip, so if they are sending out a lot of people that would add up. The test track is an hour outside of the town so that is 2 hours per day saved with commuting and rental cars, they can stay and work on the train while they are there so that saves on hotel, and they just hitched a ride on existing routes except for the run down from Denver to the test track, so I would hazard to guess that its really just a small incremental cost for the majority of the journey in extra fuel. I'm sure they were holding meetings and working while they traveled too.

As for two locos for the trip to Pueblo, could simply be they don't want to trust just one. You know like they make us have to do on the Texas Eagle.
True this!!!! ;)
But in reality it is because one of the locos is being taken to Pueblo to leave it there for use in some of the tests.

I dunno about the Siemens officials but I bet having Joe on board is good for crew morale, too.

Ever seen that show, Undercover Boss?

Think what it would say about the organization if the chief refused to use their own services!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back