Prettiest area surrounding a train station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I was just trying to recall the prettiest areas I have encountered while riding Amtrak. There are a lot of choices! I think the one that wins it for me is Whitefish, MT. on the empire builder.

I am curious, what do you think is the prettiest area surrounding a train station? If you could pick a chunk of land near a train station for beauty, where would it be?

Thurmond, WV in the New River Gorge of West Virginia.

Also I would mention Harpers Ferry, WV. Both are located in National Historic sites with US Park Service facilities.

Some other notable stations are - Williamsburg, VA with Colonial Williamsburg nearby and White Sulfur Springs, WV - which is directly in front of the Greenbriar Hotel (very nice).

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been there lately, but I thought of East Glacier Park, Montana.
Agreed, without a doubt ... the landscaped gardens leading from the station to the big old hotel, with the mountains in the background. Nothing prettier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been there lately, but I thought of East Glacier Park, Montana.

WOW I cant believe I didnt pick that.
ohmy.gif

DITTO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/3641509964/in/set-72157619959154720/

Add my vote to the Winter Park, FL~ I'm not prejudice but my sister lives there and I just love waiting for or detraining there.As far as metropolitan stations goes Hudson, NY is a very nice station. Anyone who disagrees has to spend time on the rocks in Beaumont waiting for the new depot and the six light rail lines to be built. :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I don't think it's #1, Port Kent, NY deserves to be in the top five or ten. You're a few hundred feet from the expanse of Lake Champlain, with the Green Mountains behind that.

Amtrak after leaving New Haven CT and up until just after Mystic CT

As far as metropolitan stations goes Hudson, NY is a very nice station. Anyone who disagrees has to spend time on the rocks in Beaumont waiting for the new depot and the six light rail lines to be built. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Metropolitan and Hudson, NY?
huh.gif
Hudson is about as metropolitan as downtown Beaumont!
ohmy.gif
I'd rather wait inside "J & J's Saloon"!
tongue.gif

As far as metropolitan stations goes Hudson, NY is a very nice station. Anyone who disagrees has to spend time on the rocks in Beaumont waiting for the new depot and the six light rail lines to be built. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Metropolitan and Hudson, NY?
huh.gif
Hudson is about as metropolitan as downtown Beaumont!
ohmy.gif
I'd rather wait inside "J & J's Saloon"!
tongue.gif
I read a Metro-North study about the demographics of the NYC area Dave and there are more and more commuters going to/from Hudson to NYC than ever~ seems like the likes of Bill Clinton and Martha have sky rocketed land values closer to the city to where the little guys have to move further out. Now...I can get you six square blocks in downtown Beaumont for a song but you have to be a good singer!I guess you already know who the judges will be :cool: :lol:

i know king street station in Seattle which is over 200 years old is under construction

I'd also go with San Clemente California. It's hard to beat a stop literally on the beach, palm trees fronting a vista with waves crashing ashore at the pier less than 25 yards away.

Now...I can get you six square blocks in downtown Beaumont for a song but you have to be a good singer!I guess you already know who the judges will be :cool: :lol:
The relevant questions Jay would be:

1. Would those six square blocks be prettier or uglier after you (or the_traveler) got them?

2. Will the song that you (or the_traveler) sing to get them add to or reduce the noise pollution in the said six square blocks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Goodness you guys have some strange ones. Newark, NJ is up there for me.

Besides the ones mentioned its quite nice to leave Harrisburg, PA heading west and cross over the Susquehanna River

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back