Price increase or glitch?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
I went to book an LSL ticket today and saw the price had increased pretty significantly despite the train still being 10% full, same as last I checked. It seems that fares for Wednesday/Thursday trains in May/June/July eastbound all have elevated prices while the rest of the days of the week have the normal low buckets.

Any thoughts on if this is just a momentary glitch or actually a planned increase? Seems like somewhat random days for an increase.

Yeah, this pertains to coach/business fares. For example, you can no longer book a saver fare on Wednesdays/Thursdays.

This might actually be good news, in that it might indicate that ridership is recovering.
Just felt weird to me, which is why I posted. The normal low bucket and saver fares are available on Fridays, Sunday and Mondays which should be the peak summer travel dates. Wednesdays seem like the deadest of travel dates. It's the exact opposite of what I would expect - but of course I have no Amtrak data to support that.

Came across something today which is I find a little frustrating about the Amtrak app. Clicked to purchase a ticket for $105 and in the process of less than a minute I was confirming my info and entering my credit card when I clicked to purchase it says No longer available. Had to start again and the price increased to $168. I would think once you start the process there could be a countdown timer like many other places so the price you started with is locked in until you finish the purchase.

Last edited:
Yes in this case(northeast regional) I was able to try again in about 15 minutes and it went back down to $105 and I was able to complete the purchase before it went back up in a few more minutes. However that was a fortunate case and several other instances that has not happened and I was stuck with a much higher fare. Anyway my main thought is that it should not feel like gambling whether or not the price you saw will remain until you finish the purchase process once it has already begun.

I love it when booking a roomette it says, "Only 1 available at this price". What's the new price? Higher or lower? What if I need 2? I know, use the 'phone.
Higher. It will be the next higher bucket that has inventory allocated to it. Note this does not absolutely have to be the next bucket in line, although it probably will be.

I suspect that booking multiple roomettes online in such a situation may result in both roomettes coming out of the higher bucket. I don't know that, though.

Finally, not that often these days when inventory is released in the lower/lowest bucket, they only allocate a single room to that bucket, so it will show as "1 available at this price".

I take the Lake Shore Limited very often and I pay $48 from Cleveland to Chicago, $42 from Cleveland to Springfield, and $39 from Cleveland to Pittsfield. The prices look the same going forward, and it's one of the best deals in the Amtrak system. I can't wait until they go back to everyday service so that I can visit Massachusetts and get back in time to go to work!

Last edited:
Just a note - the price increases for Wednesdays/Thursdays seem to have disappeared now. Was able to cancel and rebook for the low bucket fare. I'm guessing it was just a computer glitch, since prices more than doubled out of nowhere.

Back