Question about trip on Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So it has been a while since I posted, Covid and all,and traditional dining gone,my question-I plan on a trip from NO to ATL and back, but I'm reading that the food is not so good anymore, that was one of the reasons that i always booked a bedroom,now I am thinking of booking a roomette, does anyone know if traditional dining will be back by July, also are AAA and seniors discounts offered, my first time riding in a roomette alone, will I need to wear a mask,if I decide to go Coach will I have to wear a mask for the duration,will I only be able to get cafe food, also is it really that awful. Can I stretch out in the roomette,recline or what. Thanks. I am reading that the Crescent only runs on Sunday,Tuesday and Friday,what happened

Traditional dining is NOT returning to any Eastern train, including the Crescent. It will be the dreaded flex dining for sleeper passengers, cafe only for coach.

The Crescent is going back to daily 6/6. There is also a schedule change on that date with it leaving NOL at 9:15 am and getting to Atlanta about 11:30 pm.

Masks are required at all times in coach except when eating or drinking. Masks can be removed in your roomette when the door is closed.

Roomette seats recline a little. You can always leave the upper down.

AAA discount is long gone. Senior discount (65+) is 10% of the rail fare. Does not apply to the accommodation charge.

You should be able to get food from the cafe if you wish, but expect for it to be takeout only.

So is it really worth it to get the Roomette then, except to be able to take off my mask, don’t know if I can take that 12 hour trip, if it’s on time, with a mask. I hate flying, and really used to enjoy riding Amtrak.Flex dining, what’s up with that.

So is it really worth it to get the Roomette then, except to be able to take off my mask, don’t know if I can take that 12 hour trip, if it’s on time, with a mask.
Only you can determine that. I never take a sleeper for any trip that isn't overnight myself. I wouldn't like 12 hours in a mask, though. I might defer traveling because of that, but I doubt I'd pay for a sleeper just to avoid wearing a mask. If I had to travel and those were the choices, I honestly think I might fly, just so the mask time would be shorter. I hate flying, too, because it has turned into an unpleasant obstacle course

That's just me, though. Only you can figure out how it all balances out for you.

I'm just curious, the food whether you are in a bedroom or a roomette is exactly the same, as it has been for quite some time. The privacy, maskless riding, and the couple of Flex meals you get is likely to be enough to justify a roomette if the price is reasonable. I think they are still social distancing in coach, so you will have plenty of space, though something about coach seats hurt my butt with a bar right smack where it's uncomfortable. Coach + paying for cafe meals will undoubtedly be cheaper than a roomette in any case.

I'm just curious, the food whether you are in a bedroom or a roomette is exactly the same, as it has been for quite some time.
Can you clarify what you mean by "quite some time." If you mean a few months ago or a year ago, I think you are correct. If you mean two years ago, that is not correct because traditional dining was in place then.

Can you clarify what you mean by "quite some time." If you mean a few months ago or a year ago, I think you are correct. If you mean two years ago, that is not correct because traditional dining was in place then.
Was the food different for passengers in a bedroom than passengers in a roomette? As far as I know, passengers in both accommodations received the same food.

I think I will go with the roomette and hope I have a nice attendant who won’t enforce the mask rule with the door and curtain closed, anyone think it’s possible that by July they will stop making the mask law or rule so rigid for private roomette or bedrooms, I am vaccinated, have been since March

The mask mandate is an emergency Federal regulation that applies to airlines, intercity buses, and Amtrak that extends through September 13th. It is possible that with increasing vaccination numbers and declining infections they may lift it early, but I think it unlikely. It isn't just an Amtrak policy.

No one will bother you with the door and curtain closed.

Last edited:
I think I will go with the roomette and hope I have a nice attendant who won’t enforce the mask rule with the door and curtain closed, anyone think it’s possible that by July they will stop making the mask law or rule so rigid for private roomette or bedrooms, I am vaccinated, have been since March
Reports are that they have not been enforcing the mask requirement at all in private rooms with the door closed. It would be a good idea to put it one when the attendant is delivering something or making up your room.

On my last trip on the Meteor in Roomette, no one ever bothered anyone in the Sleeper who had masks off even with curtains and sometimes even doors open. But YMMV, and it is safer to stay compliant until you know for sure the mood of the crew and Conductor for sure. No fun being set off at the next grade crossing ;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help, I really used to enjoy Amtrak rides, I am actually terrified to fly. Might have to get a driver and go to Atlanta
Nah, even with flex dining, the train is a far better ride than 12 hours in a car. Even if someone else is driving.

Last edited:
The difference between a bedroom and a roomette is that the bedroom has way more room and has a full private bathroom. For one person, I find a roomette to be fine, though if I find some weird yield management thing where the bedroom is only a bit more expensive than the roomette, I take the bedroom. That's only happened to me once, though.

I don't ride the train for the dining. Even when they had full dining service, it wasn't exactly gourmet food. What was fun was eating and looking out the window while the scenery passes by and hitting the jackpot and finding some good company for the meal. I can do that just as easily with a flex meal as I can with the pre-cooked diner chow they dished up in traditional dining. I also ride the train because it's more relaxing, and I pay for the room to get the privacy and lie-flat sleeping. The food is secondary. For that, I can go to a good restaurant when I get to my destination.

I don't ride the train for the dining. Even when they had full dining service, it wasn't exactly gourmet food. What was fun was eating and looking out the window while the scenery passes by and hitting the jackpot and finding some good company for the meal. I can do that just as easily with a flex meal as I can with the pre-cooked diner chow they dished up in traditional dining. I also ride the train because it's more relaxing, and I pay for the room to get the privacy and lie-flat sleeping. The food is secondary. For that, I can go to a good restaurant when I get to my destination.
Likewise for me. Indeed quite often I don;t even eat all the meals provided since it is way more food than I normally eat. Typically I'd do two meals. But it is nice to have the facility to eat and sit and chat and watch the countryside go by. Yeah, I am good as long as the food is more or less edible and that covers a much larger ground in my case than most on here.

Frankly I liked the way things were before the 90s when one just bought and paid for what one ate instead of this complex included food and excluded food and drinks and what not. Life was simpler.

I will be imbibing lol, and when I used to only ride in coach I always took, fried chicken, cake, cookies,water, Capri sun, fruit and anything else I might have wanted
If you’d rather have picnic food - bring it! Or keep your expectations at a reasonable level and eat the diner food. It’ll be fine. Or heck - splurge for a hot dog and chips from the cafe.

By all means - take a Roomette or a Bedroom and enjoy the ride! Life is what you make of it.

Back