Question about trip on Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can almost agree with the Capitol Limited having flex dining. Eastbound the train gets in around 1PM and Westbound mid morning. The other Eastern trains and the Texas Eagle are longer and the second day going the full length it's a full day. Not to have traditional dining,at least in some form is inexcusable.

Incidentally if one carefully reads the much vaunted PRIIA Section 210 driven PIPs for both the Lake Shore and the Capitol, there is clear hint at evolution to something akin to Flex Dining as the final state resulting from the PIP for both trains. So the origins of this predate both Anderson and Flynn, and date back to Boardman's time. Of course as we know most of the other proposed service improvements were conveniently forgotten and the team gotten rid of by Boardman, or at least in his regime by the alleged treacherous CFO. Strange is this world!

I have come to the conclusion that reading Amtrak documents is like reading weather model runs. Don't be distracted by the good news while there are lurking bad news stashed away. What will actually happen is probably a mix of the good we tend to focus on, and the bad news stashed away in the background. In these case our attention got diverted by the dreams of through cars from the Cap to the Pennsylvanian and the LSL running via Detroit as possibilities, which as it turns out of course did not happen while all the costs saving performance improvement of the food service happened!

Last edited:
I can almost agree with the Capitol Limited having flex dining. Eastbound the train gets in around 1PM and Westbound mid morning. The other Eastern trains and the Texas Eagle are longer and the second day going the full length it's a full day. Not to have traditional dining,at least in some form is inexcusable.
If you mean "I can almost agree..." to mean a simplified menu with limited cooking well presented, served
and plated as well as having healthy, quality ingredients, that is one thing.

On the other hand, "flex meals" have been low quality sugar bombs, poorly cooked low quality food with lots of sodium and poorly presented without service, using microwave ovens with no healthy options or even likeable ones (like burgers, hot sandwiches, etc.) at yet higher room prices. So you can keep your "almost agree". For me, I expect decent food, presentation befitting the prices of the rooms, service, with changing variety of meals, not breakfasts of sugar and microwaved, only a few different pre-fixed salt-mined junk food that rarely changes with no healthy options.

If you mean "I can almost agree..." to mean a simplified menu with limited cooking well presented, served
and plated as well as having healthy, quality ingredients, that is one thing.

On the other hand, "flex meals" have been low quality sugar bombs, poorly cooked low quality food with lots of sodium and poorly presented without service, using microwave ovens with no healthy options or even likeable ones (like burgers, hot sandwiches, etc.) at yet higher room prices. So you can keep your "almost agree". For me, I expect decent food, presentation befitting the prices of the rooms, service, with changing variety of meals, not breakfasts of sugar and microwaved, only a few different pre-fixed salt-mined junk food that rarely changes with no healthy options.
Plus the Sightseer Lounges need to be put back on the Eagle and Cap!

Back