Question about trip on Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ridden the Crescent in a sleeper since 1 June who can let us know if the "food" being offered is still the execrable SOS or has any sense of sanity returned to the diner? I'm planning a trip NOL-TRE later this month.

BTW, we rode the Eagle round trip three weeks ago. Did not wear masks while in the room. Door closed only at night. Never a peep out of any of the crew. I forget how many times the crew changes enroute.

We took the usual accessories and had hot coffee, hot food and the occasional portion of fermented beverages and still had a great time.

For me riding the train was about meeting people, talking to them, retreating to my room when I wanted rest and privacy, the scenery on the Crescent from NO to Atlanta is not so good to me, honestly I’m always a little lonesome when traveling without talking, only child syndrome, lol, but I guess this time it will just be about the destination

So I’m going to Atlanta soon, on the Crescent, no baggage check from NO to Atlanta, flex meals, changed schedule leaving NO, I think this will be a long time until I ride the rails again. So sad service has gone downhill since my first ride on the Amtrak, I really used to enjoy it.

So I’m going to Atlanta soon, on the Crescent, no baggage check from NO to Atlanta, flex meals, changed schedule leaving NO, I think this will be a long time until I ride the rails again. So sad service has gone downhill since my first ride on the Amtrak, I really used to enjoy it.
Atlanta no longer handling checked baggage? Wow.

Like my present employment, it is getting more difficult to enjoy. I'm pulling the plug on a 57 year career soon, although I would prefer to continue working.

As to AMTRAK, I will stubbornly continue to ride as long as I can. I take a number of measures to make the journey more pleasant, keep up the complaints and exhortations to our bought and paid for legislators, and support AMTRAK to the extent I can, in spite of the machinations by AMTRAK management to destroy it.

I was in hope the "FLEX Dining" on the Crescent would go away by 19 July, but I will have my survival kit along in any case. I'm doing DAL-SAS on the 17th, SAS-NOL on the 18th and NOL-PHL on the 19th.

It pains me to think of the chefs, cooks, all the Diner staff who used to take so much pride in their work, that their their endeavors have ended up in the present sorry state, I am almost glad they are not around to see it. And that goes for the thousands of other railroad employees who welcomed us aboard. I raise a glass in their memory and toast the hope of better days.

At my age, it's almost all I can do.

Last edited:
The elevator they use for the baggage cart is out of service due to a water main break. When it’s fixed they will have checked baggage service again.
The no checked baggage thing at ATL is temporary. The elevator is broken and checked bags will return when it is fixed.

Well, that is encouraging. Thanks for the info, @AmtrakBlue and GaSteve!
Of course, in better days, a workaround would be in place instanter. Nowadays, well...
Atlanta's station is a logistical pain in the trasero, but considering the alternative, I guess we are lucky.

Wonder if UberEats would deliver from The Varsity to trainside?

For me riding the train was about meeting people, talking to them, retreating to my room when I wanted rest and privacy, the scenery on the Crescent from NO to Atlanta is not so good to me, honestly I’m always a little lonesome when traveling without talking, only child syndrome, lol, but I guess this time it will just be about the destination
That was the beauty of the Obervation Car (Those wonderful pointy cars on the end of the train, the Diner, the "Club Car', the Dome Cars (awww...), the Snack Bar and the Sightseer Lounges on the Western runs. You could interface with others, and when you wanted your privacy, you had it. Good Lord, back then the coaches were pleasant, civility and courtesy were the watchwords. No shower shoes, shorts and wifebeaters, children weren't left to run amok.
Sorry, got lost in pleasant thoughts of the past.
Sigh...

I was in hope the "FLEX Dining" on the Crescent would go away by 19 July, but I will have my survival kit along in any case. I'm doing DAL-SAS on the 17th, SAS-NOL on the 18th and NOL-PHL on the 19th.
The soonest I see traditional dining coming back on Eastern routes is September-October.

The Crescent is one of my routes on my rail pass I purchased. After spending several days in Coach with motel breaks,I opted to spring for a roomette from New Orleans to Greensboro,which will give me a full overnight and changed my segment from Greensboro to DC saving $54 and a nights hotel.

Only wish traditional dining was back,but I am getting a sleeper two weeks later on the EB from Chi to Sea,as an separate segment from my rail pass and that's where I'll enjoy real food again on the train.

It pains me to think of the chefs, cooks, all the Diner staff who used to take so much pride in their work, that their their endeavors have ended up in the present sorry state, I am almost glad they are not around to see it. And that goes for the thousands of other railroad employees who welcomed us aboard. I raise a glass in their memory and toast the hope of better days.
I have thought of that many times and I will certainly drink to that.

I’m back from Crescent, and I won’t be on the train for a while, it was not the best, breakfast sausage was rubbery and nasty on trip back, glad hubby stopped me by Starbucks on outgoing trip and I bought breakfast sandwich,going on Crescent to Atlanta shrimp and andouille was ok, nice hot roll with butter and fresh salad, coming back on Sunday,shrimp hard,no roll, and everything pushed to the side, spaghetti and meatballs were horrible,meatballs not cooked thru,and noodles hard and stuck together getting on in NO and Atlanta,I guess SCA don’t take luggage to roomette, I struggled thru the narrow hall,was not in my original roomette,only saw SCA when taking food order, but you better believe when it was time to get off in both cities, they were Johnny on the spot,I guess it was tip time,are they understaffed,I had to ask for pillows from another person SCA running down the hallway and sleepers were not full.Where are you Mr Rob when I need you,best SCA I have ever had,had the pleasure of having him on two of my trips. I’m thru griping,but so disappointed,we did arrive to NO early on the Crescent,a first for me

A quick question re the "meals". Was it served on the fancy tray with the accoutrements as pictured on the website, or was it a foil pan plopped down in a cardboard box with whetever else they provided dumped in?
Your description of the mess they call "food" is right in line with my experience.
I leave Wednesday DAL-CHI-PHL, and will have my AMTRAK survival system with me (described in another thread) for sure.
It is so depressing to see what was such a wonderful experience (The Crescent) in such a sorry state of affairs.

Foil pan, cardboard box and they put drinks and muffins and I think maybe it seems like things they were trying to get rid of.lol I got a blueberry muffin , I don’t like blueberries,I got a coke and tea and already had my own tea, I got 3 brownies and requested no dessert . Requested large cup of ice and it came in a small cup that coffee should be served in, I really felt kind of ignored and if the sleeper car had been full, that would have been understandable, but it wasn’t full

That’s so sad for the crew and passengers, they must be overworked, as I was walking thru the cars I did see a coach car with leather seats, looked so nice,could that have been business class or just new coach cars

It is truly sad to read these comments about the Crescent which used to be a fine train. I have been riding it from time to time since the 1970s when it was still operated by the Southern Railway.

Our last trip on the Crescent was in May 2019 and it was the first and only time I got to see a new dining car in full operation with the kitchen actually being used for its intended purpose. My wife and I enjoyed some great steak dinners leaving DC southbound. I chatted with the chef on the platform at one of the stops. The next day we had a nice breakfast and lunch followed by two more nice steak dinners before our arrival in New Orleans. We had a great trip but are sad to read about the present state of affairs. It doesn't have to be this way.

Yes I agree, my first ride from NO to Newark was awesome, so much so that the outdated blue upholstery and sometimes tardiness of the train was outweighed by the fact that the service,friendliness,attentiveness and overall attitude of the workers more than made up for any small negatives, I know that there are still those that work for Amtrak that still are like that,where are you??? Lol Also I noticed that some of them were not attentive to their appearance, but maybe if I were being overused, I might not either. I used to love the adventure even on the Crescent

It is truly sad to read these comments about the Crescent which used to be a fine train. I have been riding it from time to time since the 1970s when it was still operated by the Southern Railway.

Our last trip on the Crescent was in May 2019 and it was the first and only time I got to see a new dining car in full operation with the kitchen actually being used for its intended purpose. My wife and I enjoyed some great steak dinners leaving DC southbound. I chatted with the chef on the platform at one of the stops. The next day we had a nice breakfast and lunch followed by two more nice steak dinners before our arrival in New Orleans. We had a great trip but are sad to read about the present state of affairs. It doesn't have to be this way.
Another symptom of the most Reluctant America's Railroad, which has to be constantly dragged kicking and screaming to do the minimal of what it is supposed to do. Amtrak has really got the nation over a barrel since it is either their indifferent often nonsensical service with a long list of excuses attached, or nothing.

I’m back from Crescent, and I won’t be on the train for a while, it was not the best, breakfast sausage was rubbery and nasty on trip back, glad hubby stopped me by Starbucks on outgoing trip and I bought breakfast sandwich,going on Crescent to Atlanta shrimp and andouille was ok, nice hot roll with butter and fresh salad, coming back on Sunday,shrimp hard,no roll, and everything pushed to the side, spaghetti and meatballs were horrible,meatballs not cooked thru,and noodles hard and stuck together getting on in NO and Atlanta,I guess SCA don’t take luggage to roomette, I struggled thru the narrow hall,was not in my original roomette,only saw SCA when taking food order, but you better believe when it was time to get off in both cities, they were Johnny on the spot,I guess it was tip time,are they understaffed,I had to ask for pillows from another person SCA running down the hallway and sleepers were not full.Where are you Mr Rob when I need you,best SCA I have ever had,had the pleasure of having him on two of my trips. I’m thru griping,but so disappointed,we did arrive to NO early on the Crescent,a first for me
Your post is a good example of why nobody likes flex dining. I ll be on the Crescent next month. Looking forward to the sleeper,not the meals. I have had many flex meals ranging from horrible to adequate. Traditional dining,at least in some form can't return to the Eastern trains soon enough and right that wrong foisted on us by Mica and Anderson.

Back