Questions About A Long Amtrak Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davy J

I am a serious train buff, but new to train travel. I am thinking about taking a long Amtrak trip to visit friends and relatives around the country. It would be something like this:

Maricopa AZ to Beaumont TX.

Beaumont to Ft Lauderdale FL.

Ft Lauderdale to Minneapolis MN.

Minneapolis back to Maricopa AZ.

I have spoken with a travel agent and am familiar with the train connections I would have to make, and the cost etc.

I have questions about the things you won't find in the brochures though.

Questions like How timely are the trains? Am I likely to miss many connections?

If I get a bedroom without a bath, how busy are the showers and other bathroom facilities? Will the lounge car be packed? Etc.

In short, I guess I am wondering if this will be a fun adventure or am I biting off more than I want. I am an adventurous person, but I just don't like too many unpleasant surprises.

I thank you for any input and advice.

Davy J

There's no limit to how long you want your Amtrak trip to be. Amtrak trains can run late and each train has a different on-time performace record. If you get a sleeper with out a bathroom, you will rarely find all the public restrooms in the car occupied at one time (there's 4 of them). The showers tend to be occupied in the morning and evening so it's a matter of checking it every once and a while to see if someone else is using it. The lounge can be busy if the train is full and when traveling through scenic areas. Popular times tend to be late morning and late afternoon and into the evening. After the sun sets there id usually a movie shown, which will attract a crowd.

Amfleet said:
There's no limit to how long you want your Amtrak trip to be. Amtrak trains can run late and each train has a different on-time performace record. If you get a sleeper with out a bathroom, you will rarely find all the public restrooms in the car occupied at one time (there's 4 of them). The showers tend to be occupied in the morning and evening so it's a matter of checking it every once and a while to see if someone else is using it. The lounge can be busy if the train is full and when traveling through scenic areas. Popular times tend to be late morning and late afternoon and into the evening. After the sun sets there id usually a movie shown, which will attract a crowd.
Thanks for the info!

Well, today's news headline just stated that the government warns of summer time bomb threats to the nations passenger trains and bus lines. There will be searches, bomb sniffing dogs, etc. etc. That doesn't scare me at all, but it DOES mean probable serious snarls, confusion, cancelations and shedule delays for train and bus riders. This has certainly been true for the airline industry for the past few years. I love to fly in airliners, but I will not tolerate having to deal with today's airports.

I will be driving for my long trip. Sorry Amtrak. :( I was looking forward to riding the rails.

Davy J

I doubt there will be that much of a problem. I wouldn't let the fleeting prospect of "serious snarls" prevent you from taking the Amtrak trip of a lifetime. :)

Plus all the news outlets here in the NY area are stressing that at least so far, this is an unconfirmed report. None of the security agencies have yet been able to obtain any confirmation of the original sources information.

So this may well be nothing more than a hoax.

Guest, I would not opt your vehicle over Amtrak. This will not be major security screenings that take place in the airport, but merely a law official walking through the train with a bomb sniffing dog. Plus, this high security will mainly take place between Washington DC and New York. If you plan your trip right, try to avoid traveling the NEC between Washington and New York. :) A train like the Sunset Limited will not be subject to such searches as it travels through the middle of nowhere for most of its run.

Not to mention that statistically you are in much more danger of being injured/killed in a car accident driving on your trip than you will ever be riding a train, terrorism or otherwise. Also, I guarantee that on a long trip in the car you will be sitting stuck in traffic jams much longer than any minor security delays would be on an Amtrak train. Plus, its the environmentally concious thing to do! If you ever wanted to take a train trip, definitely do it now, you will love it!

I thank you all for your input. As I mentioned in my original post, I have no concern about being injured or becoming a victim of terrorism on Amtrak. My main concern is the possibility of delays caused by increased security from the threats. With a trip like this, there are many, many connections. If one connection is missed the results have a "domino" effect that would effect the whole vacation. My only previous Amtrak experience had the Sunset Limited arriving in Phoenix four hours late, then arriving at my destination (El Paso) five hours late. My concern over missed conections, combined with the $3500 dollar price tag for this trip has me thinking that I had better experiment with a few shorter trips first.

I'd like to learn the ins and outs of Amtrak before committing to a 7000 mile trip.

Once again, I thank you all for your input. It is kind of you to take time to address my questions.

Davy J

Davy,

Well you also need to look at precisely what connections you are making. If they are guarenteed connections, like between the Sunset Limited from Beaumont to Fort Lauderdale, then it is Amtrak's responsability to get you to Fort Lauderdale.

If the Sunset is so late, that you miss the connecting train to Fort L., then Amtrak will either arrange alternate transportation or they will put you up in a hotel at their expense, not yours. Then they will send you on the train to Fort L. the next day, again at their expense.

Typically any train that you a connecting to, if there is at least 1 hour between scheduled arrival of train #1 and the departure of train #2, is a guarenteed connection. If you are uncertain, then either call Amtrak or post your actual itinerary here so that one of us can tell you what's guarenteed and what, if anything, isn't. :)

Davy J said:
I thank you all for your input. As I mentioned in my original post, I have no concern about being injured or becoming a victim of terrorism on Amtrak. My main concern is the possibility of delays caused by increased security from the threats. With a trip like this, there are many, many connections. If one connection is missed the results have a "domino" effect that would effect the whole vacation. My only previous Amtrak experience had the Sunset Limited arriving in Phoenix four hours late, then arriving at my destination (El Paso) five hours late. My concern over missed conections, combined with the $3500 dollar price tag for this trip has me thinking that I had better experiment with a few shorter trips first. I'd like to learn the ins and outs of Amtrak before committing to a 7000 mile trip.

Once again, I thank you all for your input. It is kind of you to take time to address my questions.

Davy J
Amtrak will guarantee the connection so don't worry as much about a domino effect totally ruining your trip. Most likely the trip may be bustitued(bus substitute) or something faster to get you caught up with the connecting train. There are some trains that run habitually late so keep your connections in mind. A well know one is the sunset and any other connection in LAX, NOL or ORL . The best thing to do in that case is have plaqns to stay in a hotel overnight before preceeding on.

$3500 sounds a little steep for your trip, even if it includes travelling in a sleeper all of the way. Try to directly contact Amtrak reservations, Amtrak Vacations, or look fares up on amtrak.com to make sure that your travel agent isn't upping the charges on you to make a buck. Maybe a less expensive price tag might change your mind! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back