Questions about upcoming trip on SC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MJAlso

We will be taking the LSL and Southwest Chief from Rochester to LA next week in a bedroom. We haven't had a long distance train trip for about 10 years, so I'm wondering what are the rates for tipping at meals and the tip per night?

Also, I've been looking through posts here and I can't find anything about using the bedroom shower that's located in the bathroom. After using it, are you stuck with a wet bathroom, or does it dry out fairly quickly?

Last question -- if we hit a day when the westbound LSL is running really late, where can we grab a decent quick lunch either in Union Station or nearby? Any recommendations for a good eating spot if we end up with a few hours to spare?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've learned a lot from reading the posts here.

MJ

Sounds like a nice trip...

*On the BR shower - I much prefer the more spacious Sleeper Shower. The exception, would be if it were in use, or if it was a mess. Our last trip was 8 days and we had a BR for 3 or 4 of those days, and I never used the shower in the room. Like you say, it can get everything so wet. I was able to use the hall shower on each morning.

You will find that the hallway shower has a nice dressing area and a much larger shower. The BR shower is like a phone booth. But nice to have in pinch.

The tipping subject has been discussed overe and over. If the car attendant has been OK, but nothing out of the ordinary, I will give them at least $5 per night, which some may regard as being cheap. If they have been pretty friendly to me, then I give them $10, and if I regard them as outstanding, $20.

:hi: Depending on the OTP of the Lakeshore, there are many eating places in and around Union Station. Google up CHI Union Station/Resturants.Also there have been many Trip Reports and threads here discussing this very topic! My favorite in the food court upstairs is Gold Coast Dogs (Chicago Hot Dogs are pretty good!)! Of course the famous Pizza places are all over downtown (Giordanos is just across the River from Union Station) and Lou Mitchells in the other direction is a great breakfast/lunch place ! :wub: (cash only!)There is a food court in the basement of the Sears (nee Willis) Tower that has some really good fast food lunches and of course if time allows ride to the top for a thrilling view of Chicago! :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tipping is up to you, but for the sleeping car attendant (SCA), I usually start with $5 per day per person. (I always tip at the end.) If the SCA is very helpful, or there when you need them but not there when you don't, I may increase my tip! If the SCA is a no show and can never be found, I will decrease the tip - maybe all the way to -0- or 1 penny! (I've had a few of those! One introduced himself at boarding, and I didn't see him again until the end of the trip! I even had to set the bed every night and morning myself!)

As far as Dining car servers, I usually base my tip on what the meal "would have cost". But many times, I take the easy way out and go $1 for breakfast, $2-3 for lunch and $3-5 for dinner.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I was hoping there was some magic formula to using the room shower without leaving the bathroom soaked. Another question -- are there any great regional diner specials on the SC, or are they the same on all trains now?

My husband and I are really looking forward to this trip. It's our first time on the Southwest Chief to visit daughter and her husband in LA. We took the CZ to visit them once when they lived in San Francisco. In the past, we also had trips on the EB, Texas Eagle, whatever goes from NYC to Orlando. We loved every one except the Orlando trip. It was so hot, we could have baked bread in our room on that one!

I was hesitant to ride the train for several years because the arthritis in my knees was so bad, it was very hard to walk through cars on a rough-moving train. Now I have two new knees and I'm raring to go! I hope we can do at least a trip a year from now on. Our daughter is a photographer, and wants to take portraits of us with the beautiful Art Deco LA Union Station in the background when we arrive. Don't know how good we'll look after three days on the train!

MJ

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I was hoping there was some magic formula to using the room shower without leaving the bathroom soaked. Another question -- are there any great regional diner specials on the SC, or are they the same on all trains now?

My husband and I are really looking forward to this trip. It's our first time on the Southwest Chief to visit daughter and her husband in LA. We took the CZ to visit them once when they lived in San Francisco. In the past, we also had trips on the EB, Texas Eagle, whatever goes from NYC to Orlando. We loved every one except the Orlando trip. It was so hot, we could have baked bread in our room on that one!

I was hesitant to ride the train for several years because the arthritis in my knees was so bad, it was very hard to walk through cars on a rough-moving train. Now I have two new knees and I'm raring to go! I hope we can do at least a trip a year from now on. Our daughter is a photographer, and wants to take portraits of us with the beautiful Art Deco LA Union Station in the background when we arrive. Don't know how good we'll look after three days on the train!

MJ
As far as the bathroom after a shower, you could use your towel to wipe things down. There is a shower curtain in there. I read somewhere that you can remove the roll of toilet paper, but I haven't tried using the bedroom shower. I felt that since I didn't have my train legs, I was better off with the larger one downstairs. In two of the bedrooms we rode in the shower had been used. It was mostly dry, except for a small amount of water by the drain.

Back