Questions on planning a trip taking us to and through Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixj

Service Attendant
I’m in the early stages of planning a trip from Washington up and through Boston, continuing west to Chicago. The plan is to depart from Washington on the Acela either business class or first class and travel to Boston. We would overnight and perhaps sight see a bit then take the LSL on to Chicago.

Having not traveled much in the North East I have a few questions and need your help.

1. There are two stations serving both Acela and LSL; South Station and Back Bay station. Which is most convenient regarding boarding and proximity to hotels?

2. I know I can check baggage on Acela but do both Boston Stations handle checked baggage both coming and going?

3. What is the difference between first class and business class on Acela? Looks like only first-class gives access to ClubAcela and has different seating and meals.

4. What is the best way to get from one of these stations to a hotel and return?

5. Lastly can anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel near the appropriate station?

Many Thanks for information and suggestions.

1. South Station is the full service station with everything. It has an Acela Lounge. No baggage service at Back Bay.

2. Seating has more room (1 - 2 instead of 2-2), access to the Lounge, and meals.

3. Depending on the hotel, I use Uber which is cheaper and easy to use on my iPhone.

4. Cant help on the hotel since all my travels were outside of the Boston area, though I did spend some time to take the Freedom Trail around Boston, which included Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, and much more.

5. There is also in the suburbs Lexington and Concord. My work included New Hampshire and Maine projects so I traveled on the LSL many times.

Disclaimer: It's been 2 years since I was in Boston, so perhaps others will have better hotel info.

Keep in mind Boston has,a reputation for having expensive hotels ( on a par with New York) but deals can be found on the travel sites. ( I like Trivago)

FC Acela is nice, but at a price, but you'd have two meals and use of the Club Acela in Washington and upon arrival in Boston at South Station. (BacK Bay is basically a Commuter Station with no services, you don't want to get off there!)Biz Class is the Acela version of Coach with a Cafe Car available,it can be alot cheaper than FC!(Do you have upgrade coupons, they're very helpful on Acela?)

Both Stations have checked Baggage, but NOT on Acelas or Regionals except for #66/#67.

Your baggage would have to be checked the evening before on #66, or else you won't get it till the next morning in Boston if it goes on the same days #66 that you ride on Acela WAS-BOS.if you check bags just carry on what you'll need during the trip from WAS-BOS and the first night if you check same day on #66.

I'd also check on riding WAS-NYP, changing Acelas there to BOS, it might save you money and you can use the,Club Acela in NYP if you are riding Acela FC.

South Station has Taxis, Ride Share Services(Uber/Lfyt etc) and the T-Available at the Station.Id say Uber or,Lyft is your best bet to get to hotels if staying close to South Station.

Bob D, So the only checked baggage with Regionals and Acela is 66 or 67 the day before? Baggage checked on 2160 for example will not be allowed? This looks like a no go without checked baggage.

Thanks for the info.

You can check your baggage, but it will travel by way of the overnight regional, as that is the only train that serves Boston on the NEC with a baggage car.

Would a standard 28 x 22x 14 be allowed as carry on on an Acela? and how big are the over head bins on Acella. Amtrak site does not say. Thanks.

Bob D, So the only checked baggage with Regionals and Acela is 66 or 67 the day before? Baggage checked on 2160 for example will not be allowed? This looks like a no go without checked baggage.

Thanks for the info.
To clarify, checked baggage is only available on trains with a baggage car. You may and your checked bags via train 66 on the day before, or the day of your travel, and then travel on 2160.

Carry on baggage is on allowed on all trains, but please do not confuse our size limits with those of the airlines. Your full size luggage that you would check on an airline should be within size limits for carry on on the train.

I strongly suggest if you're going to BOS on Acela, go FC. Even more so if you're going the length. I used to frequently ride between PHL and RTE and would go FC. Most of the time I would use AGR points or coupons. Very rarely did I pay for the upgrade.

Two meals.. One before NYP and one After NYP. I would suggest using 2158 if you're looking for a mid afternoon arrival and post rush hour train. You'll still get hot breakfast. 2160 only serves a light breakfast and both serve lunch.

Booze is included in the upgrade. Snacks are provided. It's well worth the upgrade. Even better the access to the lounge in DC gets you priority boarding.

2160 only serves a light breakfast and both serve lunch.
I took the 2160 WAS-BOS in Sept. 2016. Leaving WAS they carried the full breakfast and full lunch selections onboard, you had your choice. Since I had heard about only light breakfast, I asked the attendant and she said they were now carrying everything. Don't know when it changed, or if it is still in effect.

At NYP it appeared the "old" lunch items were removed and fresh bought on for the regular lunch servings.

Last edited by a moderator:
If checking baggage to Chicago is a must, then it's South Station.

If proximity to the train station is a must, then it's Back Bay. There's a Marriott and a Westin right there. And pricey.

No matter where you stay, things are close together in Beantown. Legal Seafood restaurant is a must visit, even if just for lunch.

Many Thanks for the reply. I think I figured it out. We will bring our legal size baggage and place it in the rack or over head. Still thinking about departure time, 9 or 10 or so. Might need to think about the after rush hour arrival and a later departure, but all your info is greatly appreciated. Years ago I was in Boston and ate at legal seafood. Still remember! Still wondering how big the overhead bin is, but won't slow me down!

I took the 2160 WAS-BOS in Sept. 2016. Leaving WAS they carried the full breakfast and full lunch selections onboard, you had your choice. Since I had heard about only light breakfast, I asked the attendant and she said they were now carrying everything. Don't know when it changed, or if it is still in effect.

At NYP it appeared the "old" lunch items were removed and fresh bought on for the regular lunch servings.
Thanks for that update.. Last time I rode 2160 was about 5 years ago. Perhaps Triley has an answer on this one. ;)

Here are the menus. They rotate every two weeks, according to Amtrak's website. I have no idea which menu is being served right now and which one is next up.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/261/12/Acela-Express-First-Class-Menus-1016.pdf

The food looks varied and interesting.
Calling Triley!!! :D Triley was generous enough to let me know what menu was current back around Christmas time.

You can check your baggage, but it will travel by way of the overnight regional, as that is the only train that serves Boston on the NEC with a baggage car.
True--and ridiculous.
I agree.. Considering Amtrak now has 70 Bag cars and rated for 125 I don't see why they won't add a Bag car to say 94/95

Many Thanks for the reply. I think I figured it out. We will bring our legal size baggage and place it in the rack or over head. Still thinking about departure time, 9 or 10 or so. Might need to think about the after rush hour arrival and a later departure, but all your info is greatly appreciated. Years ago I was in Boston and ate at legal seafood. Still remember! Still wondering how big the overhead bin is, but won't slow me down!
I've done both trains.. The 9am more then the 10am and either are good choices.. If you're hoping to avoid the rush in Boston I'd shoot for the 9am train. Gets in about 330pm.

I should add that the overhead racks are similar to those on an airliner due to the tilting of the train. They can fit a standard suitcase easily. Just be sure to close the door to the compartment. It's such a pet peeve when people leave them open.. That's not how you found it! ;)

Food items can not be removed from the train unless the entire car's worth of stock is stripped, due to how we have to do our paperwork. And departing at 10am, I feel like they should only have lunch onboard, and if there is breakfast offered there will be little stock, but I can't speak for sure on that one. I would have to defer to OBS for that one. In Boston we only crew the 5:05am, 6:05am, and 7:15am westbound departures so I can't guarantee the situation. Either way, it's likely that just more stock was brought down in NYP.

And since Steve summoned me, for those curious, the current menu is Cycle 1, my favorite. It's scheduled to go to 2 on 3/8, and 3 on 3/29. The day before, of, and after, the scheduled change menu selections could come from the other cycle depending on what stock the commissaries have, to cut down on waste. For example, on 3/7 you may be offered options from cycle 2 (even though it should be cycle 1), or you could be offered cycle 1 items on 3/8 (which should be cycle 2).

New menus should be out 4/19. No guarantee they'll be uploaded for the public by then, though. :p

But since the OP is over-nighting in Boston, wouldn't baggage checked when he departs on Acela arrive in Boston in time to be transferred to the same LSL he is on? Of course the baggage man could mark it "xfer in NYP" and it would meet the OP in Albany

What was I thinking? Since the OP is leaving from WAS, if he checks baggage to Chicago, it would go out on the Capitol Limited and be waiting for him at his destination.

But since the OP is over-nighting in Boston, wouldn't baggage checked when he departs on Acela arrive in Boston in time to be transferred to the same LSL he is on? Of course the baggage man could mark it "xfer in NYP" and it would meet the OP in Albany
66 is scheduled to arrive at 7:58am, and 449 is scheduled to depart at 12:50pm. I only recommend checking it to Boston if they really need something out of it in Boston. That's why I recommend heading to DC (or the closest staffed station) and checking it the night before so it's already in Boston by the time they arrive.

Hi!

I live in the suburbs of Boston, but I am familiar with the hotels in the area near both stations.

I will leave the train experts on here to answer the questions about what station is better, Acela versus NEC, etc. Overall, I do agree South Station is your best bet for all the reasons mentioned and your situation. Back Bay really is not designed, in my opinion, to be much more than a connection point anymore since there are no longer any Amtrak staff there.

As for hotels, if you wish to inbox me privately here and give me some idea of what type of hotel you are looking for and any other parameters, I would be happy to help. Three things that would be helpful to know are: 1) what time of year are you planning your trip, 2) is it just you or are you traveling with someone? and 3) are you able to get around fairly well on foot since Boston is considered a walking city, although it has fairly good public transportation, even for people with mobility issues.

-Jackie

I’m in the early stages of planning a trip from Washington up and through Boston, continuing west to Chicago. The plan is to depart from Washington on the Acela either business class or first class and travel to Boston. We would overnight and perhaps sight see a bit then take the LSL on to Chicago.

Having not traveled much in the North East I have a few questions and need your help.

1. There are two stations serving both Acela and LSL; South Station and Back Bay station. Which is most convenient regarding boarding and proximity to hotels?

2. I know I can check baggage on Acela but do both Boston Stations handle checked baggage both coming and going?

3. What is the difference between first class and business class on Acela? Looks like only first-class gives access to ClubAcela and has different seating and meals.

4. What is the best way to get from one of these stations to a hotel and return?

5. Lastly can anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel near the appropriate station?

Many Thanks for information and suggestions.

Back Bay Sta. is basically a subway (T) stop that Amtrak uses. Very few amenities or seats. However it's within blocks of many hotels and great places to walk around and sight see. South Station is a grand old piece of architecture with food courts, full Amtrak service(Red Caps) etc. It's more in the financial district (big tall buildings) but also a 5 minute walk from the waterfront and 15 minute walk from a lot of downtown tourist attractions.

I don't understand how your baggage check plans work. You can consider staying in Back Bay but departing from S.Station. As others have mentioned, Bos is a small city and the stations are only about 10 minutes apart by cab or subway.

Back Bay Sta. is basically a subway (T) stop that Amtrak uses. Very few amenities or seats. However it's within blocks of many hotels and great places to walk around and sight see. South Station is a grand old piece of architecture with food courts, full Amtrak service(Red Caps) etc. It's more in the financial district (big tall buildings) but also a 5 minute walk from the waterfront and 15 minute walk from a lot of downtown tourist attractions.

I don't understand how your baggage check plans work. You can consider staying in Back Bay but departing from S.Station. As others have mentioned, Bos is a small city and the stations are only about 10 minutes apart by cab or subway.
And one can ride the commuter rail for free from Back Bay to South Station. Only in that direction, however. South Station to Back Bay is a cost of $5.25 if you get caught on-board without the proper fare. $2.25 if you have a ticket purchased, however.

The following is my Boston Guide, I put this together, as these questions come up on a regular basis.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000177 EndHTML:0000008672 StartFragment:0000002574 EndFragment:0000008636 SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/voxmini/Desktop/Boston%20Guide%20.doc

[SIZE=10pt]OK, after reading all these posts, let me put in my 2 cents on the Boston stations, and I write this as a current resident of Boston, who uses transit everyday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Back Bay Station ([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]BBY[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]) is a modern era building that is more spartan in design, but functions well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Back Bay has a decent sized waiting room, but no Amtrak ticket agent and no checked baggage. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BBY has an Orange Line station as part of it and that allows for a direct connection to North Station, and the Blue Line for service to Logan Airport. Boston North Station[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt](BON)[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] is where Amtrak’s Downeaster services to New Hampshire and Maine arrive and depart from. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BBY is close to the Hynes Convention Center, many hotels, Copley Square, and the Newbury Street/Prudential Center/Copley Place retail district.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BBY has some basic shops including Dunkin Dounuts, and a great burger joint, Tasty Burger.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]South Station[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] ([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]BOS[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]) is the historic "main" station that was rebuilt in the 1980's and is one of Amtrak's best (if not the best) big city stations.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BOS has a Club Acela, staffed ticket office, red cap service, and a checked baggage room, albeit you only have 2 trains that offer baggage service,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]the Lake Shore Limited, and the last NEC train of the day, that used to be known as the Night Owl. You can also check baggage for the day there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BOS is close to the rapidly growing Seaport District, home to the huge Boston Convention Center, and a number of hotels.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BOS is at the foot of the downtown crossing/financial district/chinatown/leather stocking areas, that are fast becoming as residential as they are business elated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BOS has a Red Line station within it, and Silver Line service to the Seaport area, and Logan Airport (although I recommend the Blue Line for Logan).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]BOS has many retail and dining options.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Route 128 Station, planned by the former New Haven Railroad, as a park and ride lot station, is now home to the rapidly growing "edge" city, and does offer close proximity to budget hotels, popular in the same vein as the Braintree Red Line[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] station that offers a number of modest priced chain hotels.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]As for hotels, any hotel within the HUB can be pricey, book early.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The HUB refers to greater central Boston (back bay, copley, downtown, etc).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Most of all enjoy your visit, Boston has one of the fastest growing populations of major US cities, and has much to offer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ken [/SIZE]

This is off topic, but I'm wondering why you would recommend the blue line to the airport (orange line to blue line to shuttle bus) over the silver line with its single bus connection for the same price? Or detrain at BBY and take Logan Express?

Back