Questions regarding Winter/STL/KC and SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donna

Hi again! I had a great time on the EP in early August, many thanks to the information you folks helped me with ahead of time. Despite some delays, all was well.

I've just booked a winter getaway to visit my daughter in Riverside California - Dec. - on Amtrak. I'll be taking the Missouri River Runner from St. Louis to Kansas City, then catching the Southwest Chief directly to California [sleeper]. Now for my questions:) The time period between arrival in KC and meeting the SWC is only 1 hour/5 min. If the MRR is running late, does SWC wait since this train originates in STL and terminates in KC? Also, along those lines....I'm coming back same route, getting in to KC at 7:24a.m., and the MRR to STL leaves only 45 min. later. Again, am I likely to miss this Amtrak created connection, or will the MRR wait for SWC since it again originates in KC? Are sleeping car passengers boarded to the SWC first [before Coach] in KC?

Almost done, promise! How bad does the winter weather have to be before trains are cancelled? Just wondering, historically, if a few inches of snow stops all service or if it takes something much more dramatic [for instance, ice!] Winters are really up in the air, here in the midwest.....

TIA once again for any help!

The River Runner/SWC connection in KC is guaranteed both ways. If the trains are not too late (like hours late), the other train will wait. And if it doesn't, because it is guaranteed, Amtrak will either get you to your destination by some other means or put you up at a hotel (both on Amtrak's dime) and send you on the next train.

For the past few years at least, the River Runner has been using single level equipment in the summer and Superliner cars in the winter. As far as snow goes, it takes a lot to shut down train service. Besides, I would much rather be on a train than on the roads or at the airport during a storm.

A few years ago, a snowstorm closed the airports and roads. Trains ran on time! In fact, some of the stuck airline passengers switched to the train!

That's really good to know, the 'guaranteed' connection part! And you are SO right about the airports or road during a Midwest snow storm..... I tried to take this same trip last winter [it was Christmas Day] by routing my flight through Dallas thinking they never close due to snow, right? WRONG!!! As i was heading out the door to drive to the EVV airport, got a message from American saying all my flights had been cancelled due to weather. I'll take the train over flying any day, based on recent experience! Thanks for the info.

PS This is *Guest_Donna*. Finally remembered my member name, pianocat, when I joined last month!

To board in Kansas City you begin in a small ancient waiting room (although the station itself is interesting to explore) and head down a long catwalk before descending a long slight of stairs to track level. When I boarded the Chief there a couple years ago it was every man for himself and I was stepping fast to stay ahead of about 500,000 Boy Scouts who were headed to the Coaches. Once you are down on track level simply find your Sleeper and go on in.

When during winter does the MRR use Superliners? It had single level cars (Amfleet?) when I rode last December, January, and April. It would be more pleasant to catch the Superliners, provided a lounge is included.

Ive Never seen Superliner Equipment on the RiverRunners between KCY and STL, its always Horizons or Amfleets with a 2X1 Biz Class/Cafe every time Ive taken it! (About 10 times) :eek:

It does indeed take a lot to stop train service. I've been on the Empire Builder in eastern Washington when there had been a freezing-rain storm. The switches were all frozen so the crew had to get out at every one and stomp the ice off, then throw it manually. We were 5 hours late, and stayed that way all the way to CHI. Last winter, I was on the EB in a blizzard that closed all the airports in North Dakota. The oil drilling crews all piled onto the train to get to MSP airport overnight, and we barely lost any time (just a little, mostly because of the masses boarding at the stations, ha, ha!). It was great to see a half-empty train fill right up.

I've also been on the LSL when the blowing snow piled so deep you wanted boots just to walk between the cars, and the shower drains were frozen so we couldn't wshower in the morning, but we got to CHI right on time. It trakes a lot to stop a train! Of course, a snow slide will stop you till they clear it: I've heard of it happening in the Cascades (EB to SEA), or the Sierras (CZ). If that were the case, and the road still open, I expect they'd bus you. But I don't believe I have every noticed any spot on the SWC route where there is even the possibility of a snow slide.

Have a great trip, the weather shouldn't be an obstacle!

A few years ago, my trip from STL to KCY was in a superliner. That was first time I was ever in one. Had not ridden a LD trian yet at that time.

I think last winter was so mild that they did not use the Superliners on the MORR.

The same with the Florida trains. Normally they switch the sleepers from the front to the back (so they can run the LSL sleepers from NYP to FL to "thaw out"), but because the winter was so mild they didn't need to do that!

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but as my trip gets closer I've got a couple more questions regarding KCY station. Looking at a picture of the platform where the trains come in, it looks like once a train arrives, there is no where to wait for a connection except to ascend the stairs and then come back down to the platform when connecting. MRR gets in to KCY only 45 min. before SWC leaves for California. [it's even a closer connection on the route back!] Do i HAVE to go upstairs after getting off the MRR, or can I just wait on the platform for SWC? Am I correct that there is an elevator in center of the stairway to easily get up to the station? [i don't do stairs well, especially with a rolling suitcase in tow] I have a roomette reserved for the SWC portion, so there's no need to 'hurry' onto the train for a prime seat - but i'd prefer to just wait on the platform, if this is allowed. Thanks to anyone who has the info!

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but as my trip gets closer I've got a couple more questions regarding KCY station. Looking at a picture of the platform where the trains come in, it looks like once a train arrives, there is no where to wait for a connection except to ascend the stairs and then come back down to the platform when connecting. MRR gets in to KCY only 45 min. before SWC leaves for California. [it's even a closer connection on the route back!] Do i HAVE to go upstairs after getting off the MRR, or can I just wait on the platform for SWC? Am I correct that there is an elevator in center of the stairway to easily get up to the station? [i don't do stairs well, especially with a rolling suitcase in tow] I have a roomette reserved for the SWC portion, so there's no need to 'hurry' onto the train for a prime seat - but i'd prefer to just wait on the platform, if this is allowed. Thanks to anyone who has the info!
Yes there is an Elevator up to the Walkway (similar to an Airport Boarding Walkway/Catwalk) that will take you into the Station! The Amtrak Baggage Check Room and Ticket Counter is right there soon as you enter the Door and the Small Amtrak "Waiting Room", which looks like a Bus Station Waiting Room with Wooden Benches and Vending Machines, is to your left Past the Ticket Counter! You Will have to go Upstairs, the Platform is Small and the Boarding Protocol @KCY is to have Everyone Line-Up at the Door in Front of the Counter until Boarding is Announced! There are No Red Caps here but if you talk with the Agent and need Early Boarding, they Will let you sit in the Chairs by the Door until time to Board. Be sure and take a look @ the Beautiful Station if you have Time, it's a Jewel! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.! Once in the waiting room, will they call sleeper pax first or is it 'every man for himself' when SWC starts boarding?

Thanks for the info.! Once in the waiting room, will they call sleeper pax first or is it 'every man for himself' when SWC starts boarding?
First Come, First Served and People start Lining up Before the SWC Arrives! Since you're there @ Night (after 10PM) the Station itself will be sort of Deserted (there is a High End Cafe/Bar in the Big Entrance Hall.a Gift Shop and a Movie Theater in the Basement that are still Open!)

The Bathrooms are sort of Hard to Find, you have to go out into the Entrance Hall and Down a Hall to get to them! There are People around including a Night Watchman but it's still sort of Spooky away from the Amtrak Waiting Room!

Ask to use the elevator to/from the platform and station if necessary. Arrange this in advance - not while standing in line ready to go flown the stairs! They will bring you down early - you actually go thru the luggage room. I've done so many times.

If you would rather not wait at KCY it is possible to board the Saluki at Centralia and connect in Chicago. There is a small parking area at the station there that you can use.

Last edited by a moderator:
KYRR, that's a good idea but I already have hotel reservations in STL plus a Greyhound r/t ticket to STL... I like taking the Saluki, but this time wanted to avoid Chicago. I'll probably contact the KC station and tell them shortly before the trip that I can't navigate stairs and will need elevator access. Appreciate all the responses.

KYRR, that's a good idea but I already have hotel reservations in STL plus a Greyhound r/t ticket to STL... I like taking the Saluki, but this time wanted to avoid Chicago. I'll probably contact the KC station and tell them shortly before the trip that I can't navigate stairs and will need elevator access. Appreciate all the responses.
You may also Call Amtrak and have them note on your Rez that you desire Elevator Assistance @ the KCY Station! This way theyll be Expecting you and when you enter the Station check with the Attendant @ the Desk so you are all set for the Elevator when its time to Board as Dave said!

And to add to what Jim said, a note will be made in your reservation that you need to use the elevator also upon your arrival to KCY! Also remind the conductor before your arrival into KCY, and (s)he will be sure the station is aware of it.

I don't know is you have a disability, but you also may be eligible for a disability discount on your fare.

Will call and have them put notes on my reservation. Nice to hear they'll even be alert to this for the trip back. It's not a physical handicap, just a severe case of acrophobia. [affects me both ascending and descending] The KCY stairway looks really high to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back