Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question:

I need to make a list of what to take with me besides clothing, snacks & cpap machine.

What do you guys take with you?

Also, no one answered my questions on what happens if there is a tornado or an emergency.

Im getting excited about my trip. My husband & I leave next Tuesday. Hope to get to see some of you on our trip.

if you are in a sleeper take two feet of duct tape rolled around a pencil. This can be used to cover air vents and latches if they bounce around. You may not need, but if you do you will be glad you have it.
An extension cord or tap for more juice. I have this marvelous compact Belkin tap that has three outlets and two USB outlets. Charge !!!

I like to have the AAA map for the state (s) we travel though. But then i am rather A____ retentive about knowing where i am. Depending on the train you may or may not have a signal for your phone. The map is my comfort blanket.

I like to wear a hoody to compensate for what i find to be the normally cold temperature setting. Also useful if you get off to walk during the longer stops.

Shoes that easily slip on and off. Do not walk through the train without shoes, it simply is not safe.I wear Crocs all the time (which will draw the ire of other post responders) but I find them safe and comfortable not to mention easy on/off.

A pocket knife

Two extra AA batteries

adopt a new travel mantra: kick back, relax and watch it all go by. IF you are in a rush this is not for you

enjoy you journey

In case of an emergency, your crew wil instruct you what to do. I have a small led flashlight clipped to my belt. Read the emergency card and be familiar with the path out of the car, and which window(s) in your space are removable for escape. If a train is crossing an area where a tornado warning is issued, they normally stop and hold till it passes. I don't remember any Amtrak train being hit directly by a tornado, maybe someone else does. Relax, Relax, Relax. That is one of the prime reasons for travelling on the train in the first place. So as not to have to stress over everything like on a plane trip.

Nowadays LED flashlights are small, cheap, and easy to carry. It's worthwhile to have one with you wherever you go, whether on the train or elsewhere. The duct tape is probably a good idea. I'm not sure about the pocket knife. I generally carry a very small one (ever since I was a cub scout over 60 years ago), but nowadays some people don't like that. Tissues should be available on the train if you need them, but it might be wise to have your own supply. When traveling coach, I always keep a sweater or light jacket handy in case the temperature isn't to my liking. A light blanket, like a space blanket (camping supply store) might be a good idea. Also an inflatable pillow (also camping supply store) is a very good idea. The pillow and blanket fold up into very small packages, easy to store and carry. Don't forget your phone charger. Yes, wear comfortable shoes!

Your own personal snacks might be good to have. I like dried fruits like raisins. They are cheap, easy to carry, resist spoilage at a broad temperature range, not offensive to other passengers, tasty, and good for you.

In a lifetime that included millions of miles and many decades of rail travel, the worst weather emergencies I have ever encountered were addressed by stopping the train. Yes, this means a delay. No, it does not mean a full-blown crisis.

You're over-thinking this. :) Relax and enjoy the experience.

Tom :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you rather be in a train parked in a siding listening to the hailstones bounce off the roof and watching the lightning in the distance, or bouncing around in an airplane being vectored around a line of thunderstorms or trying to find space between 2 cells? I've done both, and I know my choice. Relax and enjoy the trip, trains cut tension if you let them.

. . . I was instantly transported back to those fond memories.
Like in the Disney animated feature film Ratatouille when the food critic first tastes the dish (ratatouille) prepared for him by Remy - master chef and rat?
Yes, almost exactly like that.

I need to make a list of what to take with me besides clothing, snacks & cpap machine. What do you guys take with you?
We have provided various lists in previous threads but I think a meaningful travel list is the sort of thing that each person needs to consider individually. When you're traveling and feel the need for something you don't have jot it down somewhere or make a list on your phone for the next trip. That's what I've done and now I have a travel list with well over one hundred individual items on it. Not every item is required for every location or season or situation but so long as I consult the list I usually have everything I'll ever need for that trip.

Also, no one answered my questions on what happens if there is a tornado or an emergency.

DA, don't go scaring the poor gal. :p

Note, this is a freight train. Rest assure that the dispatchers (the people who tell the engineers when/where to stop/start the trains) are well aware of the weather conditions in the areas their trains are traveling and will stop a train, especially a passenger train, well before it enters an area that has a strong chance of having a tornado hit. Of course, mother nature is not 100% predictable.

You arrive at your destination much earlier than expected - or you get to start the journey over on a new, undamaged train.

You get that light feeling in your stomach and a feeling of flying.

You no longer have to wait on freight trains as they are moving along on parallel "tracks" - some above and some below.

You get to be the first train rider to see the tracks below from the train.

You help contribute to Amtrak's need for newer rolling (er flying) stock or railcars.

You ring for your SCA and get to be the first to request that the room be made up because it looks like a mess.

You get to tell your friends that the rooms on Amtrak are so messy, they "look like a tornado hit" them - and mean it literally.

If traveling by coach, any kid that ends up in your seat is your responsibility - for life!

Only kidding. Start worrying about things like that and you will never enjoy yourself. Chill!

I want to thank everyone for their responses.

If I have anymore questions I will let you know.

Im sorry for bugging everyone.
Please don't think you're bugging anyone here. The questions you ask, and discussion that follows, are useful to plenty of readers, whether they post anything here or not.

While I wouldn't recommend going against doctors advice, I'm the guy that has used nothing but tap water in my CPAP for the whole time I've had it (over 5 years). You'd probably be OK forgoing the distilled for a few nights on a trip. :D
Oh good, I'm not the only one.

And when I use it on the train, I don't bother with the water, because I've had problems with spillage, especially if I'm in an upper berth and I have the machine semi-precariously perched on top of my suitcase in order to have the mask reach my face. (The electrical outlet is usually onm the opposite end of the roomette from my head.)

We're here to be bugged.

In all my years and miles, I've been through several bad storms, but no tornadoes. The closest I ever came had to do with some kid who didn't seem to have any parents. But that's another story.

Tom

We're here to be bugged.

In all my years and miles, I've been through several bad storms, but no tornadoes. The closest I ever came had to do with some kid who didn't seem to have any parents. But that's another story.

Tom
Taz-Tornado_copy.gif

Yes, Im back with more questions.

What should I take with me on my checked baggage?

What should I not do on the train?

Do any of you take a journal with you?

Does anyone here put their laptop in their backpack or is it better to be in a laptop bag?

What not to do aside from the obvious prohibited/illegal, your original post mentioned you would be in the coaches., so the things I can think of would be use headphones if you are playing music, watching videos, or anything like that. Don't carry on food that you might like, but 50 other people think reeks. Avoid overly loud conversation, especially overnight when others are trying to sleep. always wear shoes when walking, and above all, try to relax and enjoy. Do not stress if you are running a little late, it is pretty common. You can check that which you will not need on the trip. Do not check medical supplies, or anything you might need if delayed. I like a change of clothes, but some might call it overkill. Use the redcaps, it is a long way to the train in Denver, Chicago, and for some NYP can be daunting. When arriving, let the crew know you would like one to meet you, I've seen the crews be pretty proactive in arranging them when they had wheelchair/handicapped on the manifest, but a friendly reminder is probably warranted. Years ago, trainmen/conductors carried accurate pocket watches, some days on Amtrak a sundial might be more appropriate, but the key is not to see that as a negative, it is just more time to enjoy the trip.

Nowadays LED flashlights are small, cheap, and easy to carry. It's worthwhile to have one with you wherever you go, whether on the train or elsewhere. The duct tape is probably a good idea. I'm not sure about the pocket knife. I generally carry a very small one (ever since I was a cub scout over 60 years ago), but nowadays some people don't like that. Tissues should be available on the train if you need them, but it might be wise to have your own supply. When traveling coach, I always keep a sweater or light jacket handy in case the temperature isn't to my liking. A light blanket, like a space blanket (camping supply store) might be a good idea. Also an inflatable pillow (also camping supply store) is a very good idea. The pillow and blanket fold up into very small packages, easy to store and carry. Don't forget your phone charger. Yes, wear comfortable shoes!

Your own personal snacks might be good to have. I like dried fruits like raisins. They are cheap, easy to carry, resist spoilage at a broad temperature range, not offensive to other passengers, tasty, and good for you.

In a lifetime that included millions of miles and many decades of rail travel, the worst weather emergencies I have ever encountered were addressed by stopping the train. Yes, this means a delay. No, it does not mean a full-blown crisis.

You're over-thinking this. :) Relax and enjoy the experience.

Tom :hi:
I am going to avoid taking or eating anything like peanut butter, garlic, onions, chocolate & stuff like that. Reason for the peanut butter is it will make me thirsty. The chocolate will melt.

I need to make a list of what to take with me besides clothing, snacks & cpap machine. What do you guys take with you?
Expanding upon my earlier reply...

My own personal packing list contains over 150 carefully selected travel sized items with many of them being somewhat specialized for the needs of routine intercontinental travel and having little use or relevance for casual domestic trips. However, I recently came across the following list from Rick Steves that seems to cover most of what anyone would need regardless of where they are going. Have a look if you need some inspiration for building your own list.

Link to Rick Steves Packing List: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/ricks-packing-list

Does anyone here put their laptop in their backpack or is it better to be in a laptop bag?
In the days when businessmen were the only people who normally carried laptops, I liked to use a backpack so that it wouldn't stand out and scream "expensive computer in here!". Nowadays, most students (and others) are packing a computer and most laptop cases for students are backpack-based, so it's pretty safe to assume that every backpack has a computer in it, thus negating my original idea. Now, I use whatever fits at the time I'm getting ready to leave. In any event, if I don't put it in my backpack, I use a laptop bag with a shoulder strap so I can keep it close to me.

As you'll note in the travel tips in various threads on AU, thefts on the train are rare, but that doesn't mean that there aren't unsavory characters who might be hanging out in stations (or outside stations). When traveling, it's easy to become distracted and momentarily oblivious to one's personal belongings, so having your most important ones close to your body as possible helps reduces the likelihood that someone can swipe them without your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back