Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cpap machine because of sleep apnea. Im afraid to disturb the other passengers. Should I still use it?
Are you asking about noise? I don't know much about them. However, my sister, who uses one and accompanies me on bike tours, often shares a motel room with me. I've never notice any noise. In fact it is a major improvement over the snoring before she got the machine.
^This. There is often a slight whistling or whooshing noise but in almost every case it's highly preferable to unmitigated snoring. I'm not sure how my ears compare to those of other members but that has been my experience around CPAPs.

I hardly notice CPAPs. If anything, they provide a bit of white noise, which actually helps me sleep. (I sleep with a fan running for the same reason.)

Regarding mac & cheese, it never hurts to ask. Sometimes the crew hangs onto it to ensure they have enough to feed the kids, but you can often get it at the end of the run.

For example, when on the Southwest Chief or California Zephyr back to Chicago, lunch is the last meal. As such, the crew is trying to offload the food they have left, which includes kids' meals. I always order mac & cheese. :)

It's not *good* mac & cheese (it tastes a lot like Kraft), but it's still decent and a nice change after eating the heavier adult meals for 2-3 days.

I have a cpap machine because of sleep apnea. Im afraid to disturb the other passengers. Should I still use it?
In my experience, there is a whole lot of noise in coach from many sources. When the train is moving, it produces a good amount of (to me, soothing) noise on its own; when it is stopped, well, you are sitting in a room with fifty other people, so there will be a lot of (to me, fairly intrusive) noises. So I highly doubt that your cpap machine will make any difference to anyone. As a source of rhythmic, whitish noise, it may actually be soothing.

Ainamkartma

From the two wrongs sometimes make a right department...

Most of us know that Kraft Mac is crap, and most of us know that Taco Bell is crap, but if you mix Kraft Mac with Taco Bell fire sauce packets it tastes so much better with more than just a vague hint of flavor like normal. When I tried it after repeated suggestions from a friend I was suddenly reminded of a long lost product called "Mexi-Mac" from my childhood. I used to be hooked on the Mexi-Mac stuff when I was too young to know any better and I was instantly transported back to those fond memories. I wish the original version still existed but thanks to this silly food hack I'm still able to make a decent approximation for old times sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed on the childrens menu that they have mac & cheese. Can adults have mac & cheese too?

Does the cafe car serve warm pretzels?

When I purchase a soda on the train does it come in bottles or cans only?
These types of questions make me very worried. Worried that you are not going to enjoy your train trip, regardless. I say that because inevitably, small issues like those you asked about, aren't going to be to your liking.

As with a lot of travel, including rail travel on Amtrak, one needs to have a mind-set to simply "roll with it" or "make the best of it".

Charlie, I think these are just the innocent questions of somebody who truly isn't sure what to expect. The questions aren't terribly unusual. I don't see any reason these folks shouldn't have a fine trip. They're just trying to negotiate a learning curve, and they know there are things they don't know. It will all sort itself out once they settle onto the train and begin to make a few friends among the crew and other passengers.

Tom

Regarding mac & cheese, it never hurts to ask. Sometimes the crew hangs onto it to ensure they have enough to feed the kids, but you can often get it at the end of the run.

For example, when on the Southwest Chief or California Zephyr back to Chicago, lunch is the last meal. As such, the crew is trying to offload the food they have left, which includes kids' meals. I always order mac & cheese. :)

It's not *good* mac & cheese (it tastes a lot like Kraft), but it's still decent and a nice change after eating the heavier adult meals for 2-3 days.
I've noticed the same thing. Often when the last meal of the ride is lunch, there are usually only two options left: a standard hamburger and mac & cheese. I've also had the mac & cheese for the same reason; it's "light" enough to be a respite from all the previous meals and yet sufficient enough to hold me until my next meal.

Oh and it tastes like Kraft® because it is Kraft®. ;)

Are you asking about noise? I don't know much about them. However, my sister, who uses one and accompanies me on bike tours, often shares a motel room with me. I've never notice any noise. In fact it is a major improvement over the snoring before she got the machine. ;)

Now if I could just figure a way that she doesn't have to drag all that distilled water on the back of her bike.
I agree with the snoring thing. I had that problem too. I also stopped breathing multiple times during the night. I kept disturbing my husband by hitting him during the night. Im glad I got the cpap machine because it is saving my life. My husband says there is a big improvement & we both get a good nights sleep. As far as the distilled water is concerned, she should buy a small bottle of drinking water or soda, then after she drinks that put the distilled water in it. Thats what Im doing when I go on my trip.

Are you asking about noise? I don't know much about them. However, my sister, who uses one and accompanies me on bike tours, often shares a motel room with me. I've never notice any noise. In fact it is a major improvement over the snoring before she got the machine.
^This. There is often a slight whistling or whooshing noise but in almost every case it's highly preferable to unmitigated snoring. I'm not sure how my ears compare to those of other members but that has been my experience around CPAPs.
I just dont want someone in the car to come over to me & complain about it. Same for the person sitting next to me.

I noticed on the childrens menu that they have mac & cheese. Can adults have mac & cheese too?

These types of questions make me very worried. Worried that you are not going to enjoy your train trip, regardless. I say that because inevitably, small issues like those you asked about, aren't going to be to your liking.

As with a lot of travel, including rail travel on Amtrak, one needs to have a mind-set to simply "roll with it" or "make the best of it".
I asked about the mac & cheese because I love it. I asked about the warm pretzels because my husband loves warm pretzels. I asked about the soda being in a can or bottle because I am allergic to aluminum.

No one answered the question about the restaurants outside of the Chicago Union Station. Where are the best places to eat near the station or should we just stay in the station?

Also, what happens when there is a tornado in the area? Where do we go?

In an emergency situation how does AMTRAK get a disabled or elderly passenger off the train?

From the two wrongs sometimes make a right department...

Most of us know that Kraft Mac is crap, and most of us know that Taco Bell is crap, but if you mix Kraft Mac with Taco Bell fire sauce packets it tastes so much better with more than just a vague hint of flavor like normal. When I tried it after repeated suggestions from a friend I was suddenly reminded of a long lost product called "Mexi-Mac" from my childhood. I used to be hooked on the Mexi-Mac stuff when I was too young to know any better and I was instantly transported back to those fond memories. I wish the original version still existed but thanks to this silly food hack I'm still able to make a decent approximation for old times sake.
"Taco Bell is crap" -- true, mostly

BUT where I worked for 15 years, the local Taco Bell was OUTSTANDING for fresh ingredients - the Taco Bell to beat all "Taco Bells" -- but that was a local thing, I'm sure.

I asked about the mac & cheese because I love it. I asked about the warm pretzels because my husband loves warm pretzels. I asked about the soda being in a can or bottle because I am allergic to aluminum.
I often order bottled water instead of soda at meals, then I have a lid to carry it with me for later. Sometimes I put flavoring in it.

There are many threads on AU about places to eat and see in Chicago and about the food court in Union Station. Please Google them up and pick your favorite.

Al's Roast Beef and Lou Mitchells are the two closest to Union Statuon that lots of us like.

If you decide to stay in the Station the Food Court is upstairs ( the escalator is in the hall by the entrance to the Metro Lounge) and the Gold Coast Dog stand has really good Dogs and Brats. But cabs are available right outside the Station, so why not treat yourself to a good meal during your layover.

Your coach attendant can arrange to bring meals that you wish to order from the dining car or cafe lounge to your coach seat. That could include some plastic cups full of complimentary ice.

Are you asking about noise? I don't know much about them. However, my sister, who uses one and accompanies me on bike tours, often shares a motel room with me. I've never notice any noise. In fact it is a major improvement over the snoring before she got the machine. ;)

Now if I could just figure a way that she doesn't have to drag all that distilled water on the back of her bike.
I agree with the snoring thing. I had that problem too. I also stopped breathing multiple times during the night. I kept disturbing my husband by hitting him during the night. Im glad I got the cpap machine because it is saving my life. My husband says there is a big improvement & we both get a good nights sleep. As far as the distilled water is concerned, she should buy a small bottle of drinking water or soda, then after she drinks that put the distilled water in it. Thats what Im doing when I go on my trip.
I suggest first testing how much water is typically used each night and then make sure that the bottle is big enough to hold what water is needed on the train and possibly the first night at a planned hotel. For other hotel nights, distilled water gallon cost less than a dollar at most grocery stores or up to $1.50 at in-town CVS stores (which always seem to be the most expensive). In any case, I use as much of the unneeded gallon for drinking water except what I pour back into the bottle for the return or next leg of a trip.

I clearly mark my distilled water bottle so it doesn't get used up or thrown away while traveling. I found a "drinking water" bottle at Wal-mart that holds about a five day supply (your mileage may vary) and use that.

Note: Li-Ion battery packs are available for CPAP machines for when there is no power. Mine provides up to 3 nights but none of them are powerful enough to support the humidifier.

Note: If you don't have distilled water, it won't hurt anything to use regular clean water once in a while. And a few days (I have gone for a week) with no humidifier/water won't hurt but your nasal passages will be dry.

Note: After accidentally leaving the full water bottle in my carry-on on a plane trip and have it go through without a problem, my guess is the fact that it is distilled may make it invisible to DHS's machines which makes it look like the bottle is empty.

As to Jamie's question about using it on a trip - DO NOT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT IT! Your life may depend on that machine. The water is optional - the machine is not. Snoring is a lot noisier than a CPAP as are the paramedics who might be called if you stop breathing.

CPAP - used every day since my second Katrina Red Cross trip in 2005. I got it just before that trip but being new at it, I left it home - I was the only person to get a full night's sleep that first night where all the newly arrived RC volunteers slept in one big room. Everyone else complained about someone snoring but I didn't have the guts to own up to it.

. . . I was instantly transported back to those fond memories.
Like in the Disney animated feature film Ratatouille when the food critic first tastes the dish (ratatouille) prepared for him by Remy - master chef and rat?

While I wouldn't recommend going against doctors advice, I'm the guy that has used nothing but tap water in my CPAP for the whole time I've had it (over 5 years). You'd probably be OK forgoing the distilled for a few nights on a trip. :D

It probably depends a great deal on the water source. Where my sister lives, the water is chock full of minerals, she has a water softening system installed in her house to make it decent. Based on what her faucets looked like before she got that I wouldn't put it in a machine, let alone drink it. My water on the other hand is very good.

I put distilled water in my CPAPs while at home. ( actually BiPaps and now have 3 of them. ). When traveling by other than car I do not bother with bottled water and tap water does not seemed to have hurt anything. The mask leaks at times and may make hissing noises, but it beats my snoring, which used to be compared to a freight train, thunder, or a grizzly bear.

I suggest first testing how much water is typically used each night and then make sure that the bottle is big enough to hold what water is needed on the train and possibly the first night at a planned hotel. For other hotel nights, distilled water gallon cost less than a dollar at most grocery stores or up to $1.50 at in-town CVS stores (which always seem to be the most expensive). In any case, I use as much of the unneeded gallon for drinking water except what I pour back into the bottle for the return or next leg of a trip.

I clearly mark my distilled water bottle so it doesn't get used up or thrown away while traveling. I found a "drinking water" bottle at Wal-mart that holds about a five day supply (your mileage may vary) and use that.

Note: Li-Ion battery packs are available for CPAP machines for when there is no power. Mine provides up to 3 nights but none of them are powerful enough to support the humidifier.

Note: If you don't have distilled water, it won't hurt anything to use regular clean water once in a while. And a few days (I have gone for a week) with no humidifier/water won't hurt but your nasal passages will be dry.

Note: After accidentally leaving the full water bottle in my carry-on on a plane trip and have it go through without a problem, my guess is the fact that it is distilled may make it invisible to DHS's machines which makes it look like the bottle is empty.

As to Jamie's question about using it on a trip - DO NOT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT IT! Your life may depend on that machine. The water is optional - the machine is not. Snoring is a lot noisier than a CPAP as are the paramedics who might be called if you stop breathing.

CPAP - used every day since my second Katrina Red Cross trip in 2005. I got it just before that trip but being new at it, I left it home - I was the only person to get a full night's sleep that first night where all the newly arrived RC volunteers slept in one big room. Everyone else complained about someone snoring but I didn't have the guts to own up to it.
Its nice to know there are others who use a cpap machine other than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back