Rail Pass: bus bridge question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeets

Train Attendant
My Rail Pass trip begins on Sept 12 and my first train is the Coast Starlight.
IF the bus bridge is still operating on that date will my LA to Seattle portion now be considered 3 segments or will Amtrak honor that portion as one segment?
I also end my trip on the Coast Starlight....which may possible be another bus.

My Rail Pass trip begins on Sept 12 and my first train is the Coast Starlight.
IF the bus bridge is still operating on that date will my LA to Seattle portion now be considered 3 segments or will Amtrak honor that portion as one segment?
I also end my trip on the Coast Starlight....which may possible be another bus.
Currently each Thruway Bus Segment is counted against your Rail Pass ( some Buses are not Elgible for Passage using your Rail Pass/ see the Rules).

I think you need to call Customer Relations with this, it doesn't seem fair, but it's Amtrak where the Right Hand generally doesn't know what the Left Hand is doing.

Last edited:
it's all so very frustrating, just the unknown!!!
I will wait a few more weeks, hoping the bridge will be repaired in time and also having 10 other segments planned out just in case..............but then, will those routes even be available and.....will I be able to get hotel rooms in the new places.....
I had a Rail Pass trip planned in 2020 to celebrate my 60th birthday and was Covid cancelled.
I was so happy to be able to reschedule my trip for this year but now the unknown has me worried.
My current trip both begins and ends with the Coast Starlight. Thank you for answering my question, Bob. I did figure that was the case but surely not fair!

Since you already bought your pass Amtrak should honor the segments that you bought. Adding the bus is Amtrak's decision and should not be an extra segment that you have to pay for...but then again,it's Amtrak. I will be in the middle of my pass on September 12,also on the CS from Sea to Sac. According to their website things should be back to normal. Being I m in Coach,I am not too concerned if I have to ride a bus. It's just overnight.

Hi Sidney, will you be catching a bus out of Sacramento too or are you catching the California Zephyr out of Sacramento? I don't mind riding a bus but I do mind that it may change from one to three segments.

According to Amtrak,the entire train should be back to normal on Sept. 8. I am booked straight through on the CS from Sea to Sac. Of course,things may change,and even if bustitution is still in effect,Amtrak shouldn't charge the bus segment if you already made your reservation.

According to Amtrak,the entire train should be back to normal on Sept. 8. I am booked straight through on the CS from Sea to Sac. Of course,things may change,and even if bustitution is still in effect,Amtrak shouldn't charge the bus segment if you already made your reservation.
Yes,I am catching the Zephyr out of Sacramento.

I don't see why they wouldn't honor the reservation you made with the segments expected to exist.

I'm not even sure how it would work with the segments now. I don't see any way too book any trips right now that use the bus bridge. Sounds like they're restricting the bus bridge to passengers who have already booked the trip previous to when the bus bridge was instituted.

I don't see why they wouldn't honor the reservation you made with the segments expected to exist.

I'm not even sure how it would work with the segments now. I don't see any way too book any trips right now that use the bus bridge. Sounds like they're restricting the bus bridge to passengers who have already booked the trip previous to when the bus bridge was instituted.
We made reservations on June 21 for the CS leaving Seattle tomorrow (July 28) through to LA. When I called to inquire about skipping the bus bridge and letting us get on the train in Sacto, Amtrak had apparently cancelled my reservation and never notifed me. I am beyond frustrated.

We made reservations on June 21 for the CS leaving Seattle tomorrow (July 28) through to LA. When I called to inquire about skipping the bus bridge and letting us get on the train in Sacto, Amtrak had apparently cancelled my reservation and never notifed me. I am beyond frustrated.
They straight up cancelled your whole reservation? What did they offer as a solution?

nothing reasonable. We had a loop planned - CS Seattle to LA, SW chief to Chicago, and Empire Builder Chi-Sea. We were concerned about the bus bridge, so I called and asked if it would be possible for us to fly to Sacto, and just start our trip in Sacto on the CS from there. They said they had cancelled that trip, so we didn't have a reservation on that part of the trip. I said, "No, we had a reservation from Seattle, so our seat from Sacramento should still be available." But they said they'd cancelled it. If I hadn't called we would have been at the station tomorrow, bags packed, expecting to board. They did say we could take the rest of our trip (the SWC and EB), so I had to explain, that no, we're in Seattle and couldn't really get an the SWC in LA. Duh! If they had told us at the beginning of July that the trip was cancelled, we could possibly have made alternate arrangements. But so close to departure, plane tickets, etc. were just too expensive. And really the part we wanted the most was the CS.

They did refund the passes we had purchased to take the trip. But we are out the money for the hotel in Montana we were to stop at. If they had notified us when they canceled it, it would have been within the window to cancel the Montana reservation. But by the time we learned our tickets had been cancelled, it was too late.

nothing reasonable. We had a loop planned - CS Seattle to LA, SW chief to Chicago, and Empire Builder Chi-Sea. We were concerned about the bus bridge, so I called and asked if it would be possible for us to fly to Sacto, and just start our trip in Sacto on the CS from there. They said they had cancelled that trip, so we didn't have a reservation on that part of the trip. I said, "No, we had a reservation from Seattle, so our seat from Sacramento should still be available." But they said they'd cancelled it. If I hadn't called we would have been at the station tomorrow, bags packed, expecting to board. They did say we could take the rest of our trip (the SWC and EB), so I had to explain, that no, we're in Seattle and couldn't really get an the SWC in LA. Duh! If they had told us at the beginning of July that the trip was cancelled, we could possibly have made alternate arrangements. But so close to departure, plane tickets, etc. were just too expensive. And really the part we wanted the most was the CS.

They did refund the passes we had purchased to take the trip. But we are out the money for the hotel in Montana we were to stop at. If they had notified us when they canceled it, it would have been within the window to cancel the Montana reservation. But by the time we learned our tickets had been cancelled, it was too late.
What the hell!! Call Amtrak and ask the automated agent for Customer Relations, not Service, and explain the situation. They should provide you with a voucher for future Amtrak travel. That is ridiculous and I'm so sorry they did that, no excuse.

The "Center of Excellence" strikes again.

Zounds like a page out of a bad airline manual - - -
All downline travel reservations cancelled from the (first) leg affected - - -
You messed with the SEA -(bus bridge)- SAC and the Amtrak LOGIC computer kicked in canceling everything downline - - -
Human intervention is going to be required to fix this aka Supervisory override - - -

Hope there is some hope to restore all the cancelled reservations before wait listing fills the cancelled spaces ?

This makes me want to go out and punch whatever genius implemented electronic tickets at Amtrak again. Before that move, IIRC you could've just "boarded late" at Sacramento and gone on your merry way.

Currently each Thruway Bus Segment is counted against your Rail Pass ( some Buses are not Elgible for Passage using your Rail Pass/ see the Rules).

I think you need to call Customer Relations with this, it doesn't seem fair, but it's Amtrak where the Right Hand generally doesn't know what the Left Hand is doing.
I guess I would disagree. This is not an official "thruway Bus" but rather a service disruption with a bus substitute. I would doubt it would affect the pass. Good luck calling and finding anyone who understands the question, let alone has an official answer....

I guess I would disagree. This is not an official "thruway Bus" but rather a service disruption with a bus substitute. I would doubt it would affect the pass. Good luck calling and finding anyone who understands the question, let alone has an official answer....
I appreciate your message,I think you're correct.

Let's hope that they don't count this bus bridge as a segment, but I suggested they call for "peace of mind" since it's Amtrak where you never know for sure,until all of a sudden it's " Suprise!

Back