Railway Media digEplayer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The digEplayers used to be available for rent, which helped bring an end to the movies in the lounge car. Then the company went out of business, so even that is no longer an option!

So now, you are "forced" to enjoy the peace and quiet - and to look out the window at the scenery or :eek: actually talk to others! :) (Of course, if you "just have to see a movie", you can always bring your own DVDs and DVD player or computer!)

Who went out of business? Maybe it was Railway Media, because the company that makes the digEplayer is still in business--they just made a new model that Alaska Airlines is carrying (the XT, I believe).

I'd rather have movies in the lounge car, since that's part of the communal spirit of Amtrak, and the selection of movies on the digEplayer is no newer/better than what you can get on DVD and watch on your laptop.

Who went out of business? Maybe it was Railway Media, because the company that makes the digEplayer is still in business--they just made a new model that Alaska Airlines is carrying (the XT, I believe).
I'd rather have movies in the lounge car, since that's part of the communal spirit of Amtrak, and the selection of movies on the digEplayer is no newer/better than what you can get on DVD and watch on your laptop.
Communal Spirit --- That attitude, frame of mind, trip mindset is what I want to have a tight grasp on when I 1st hear "All Aboard"!!!!

:) :p

Yes, it was Railway Media that went out of business. Also, there seemed to be several ideas as to what "communal spirit" should be in the lounge car during movies - loud audio, competing with heavy drinking and talking ,etc, etc., Plus people that just wanted to sit and look out the window or converse with other passengers.

Yes, it was Railway Media that went out of business. Also, there seemed to be several ideas as to what "communal spirit" should be in the lounge car during movies - loud audio, competing with heavy drinking and talking ,etc, etc., Plus people that just wanted to sit and look out the window or converse with other passengers.
I tried once to watch a movie in the Lounge. Bad picture on a small TV and you couldn't hear what was going on. Give me peace and quiet, a great view and a refreshing beverage and that's all I need.

I tried once to watch a movie in the Lounge. Bad picture on a small TV and you couldn't hear what was going on. Give me peace and quiet, a great view and a refreshing beverage and that's all I need.
There's a high-definition widescreen in front of every chair in the lounge car. Two channel options (left and right), too! :)

I thought the movies worked ok in the Talgos (with the "airplane headphones" available if you want them).

Especially since they showed oldies--North by Northwest on one trip. Nothin' like watching a movie set on a train, on a train :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the first and only time I saw a movie on the train was my trip on the Coast Starlight when I was a 8 or 9 years old (early '90s). It was an old, little TV, but it was still fun.

In my recollection, the only time they showed movies was in the evening, after it was too dark to really enjoy the view outside. That worked perfectly.

I think the lower level theatre in the PPC is a great idea (and an awesome setting), but it'll be underutilized unless they open it up to non-sleeper passengers during movie time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back