Rare Mileage Surprise?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so we left Fostoria at 0807 plus a bit for a delay. Nappanee was at 1057, 2:50 later. 2000 timetable gave the time as 2:32, so we've basically been pacing the Three Rivers timetable...

...and what's this about meeting 48?

Track a Train shows 48 proceeding eastbound near South Center, IN at 1008 CDT. It COULD be another ghost train like your 49 still just west of Fostoria, I suppose, but whatever it is IS moving eastward on the same line you're on.

Just met 48. I think it was a bag, three sleepers, diner, cafe, and a few coaches. 13-14 hours late, I think...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, reading another board sounds like they were just approaching SOB when the incident happened, were taken back most of the way to Chicago before being put on the same detour route you're on...

That was my best guess...and that'd chew up a ton of time.

We're now in Central time...not sure where that puts us vis-a-vis CHI. But we're getting there.

Edit: Still holding to a 1215 arrival in CHI. Also, met an NS-led intermodal. Where would we rejoin the normal route and/or switch to NS?

An I think that's what we did. Got an interesting perspective on Gary (slightly different route through there) and the only supplemental delay has been letting the pilot off. SCA just said we're"by the steel mill".

Edit: Just announced for Track 28/19.

Probably closer to 1230 than 1215 now. C'est la vie.

This should be interesting when they get to the yard/platform. Is the platform long enough for all the cars? Hope they have lots of redcaps ready.

I'm not sure; I'm on 850 right now (after a ride on "train 997", points to the first person to name what that is). It'll be interesting to see, though.

Metra 997?
Nope, but a very reasonable guess (from what I can tell, the only 900-series Metra trains are on the Heritage Corridor and only in the low 900s). This was issued on Amtrak ticket stock.

Chicago Legacy Club admission is Train No. 997 in Arrow
Yep, this is it. It is amusing seeing the kludges Amtrak has to execute due to the limitations of Arrow (e.g. assigning a non-train activity a "train number"), though I do intend to see if I can get this to post for AGR points (I have a ticket with a reservation number, a train number, and indeed a "city pair" (CHI-LCL)...in theory I should have everything needed to get AGR points and TQPs even though no travel was directly involved.

As a somewhat unrelated matter...the Legacy Club is quite nice and I find it to be superior to the existing Metropolitan Lounge (e.g. the one in the basement, if anyone ends up reading this thread after the next few weeks). $20 worth of superior? Well, if you show up with a "supertrain" with about 100 sleeper pax at once (that's not an exaggeration...presuming about 75% occupancy (e.g. allowing for a bit of empty space from folks who would've boarded west of Cleveland), paying $20 to skip the line and have a good shot at a plug in a not-crowded lounge is worth it. I'll offer a review elsewhere.

I believe that "massive intermodal yard" was the CSX yard near North Baltimore, OH. The B&O RR Historical Society members got an up close and personal tour of the facilities there a few years back during their annual convention.

Chicago Legacy Club admission is Train No. 997 in Arrow
Now I know why they gave me a train ticket for that. I was so confused but thought it was kind of cute. I didn't look at it closely enough before shoving it in my bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back