Rare Mileage Surprise?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
So, I'm on 29 sitting in Cleveland. Been here for about two hours. Just called Amtrak and was told we're getting detoured. Does anyone have a possible line on what line we might be getting sent on?

Edit: I guess I should also ask if anyone knows why apparently 29, 48, and 49 are being rerouted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that 48/49 plus your train 29 is in a service disruption. Train 30 made it through Cleveland and is still traveling East to WAS. I'm not familiar with the railroads enough between Toledo and Cleveland to guess a route if they have to detour that stretch. However if they have to detour the CHI-TOL stretch they most likely will bring you up to DET from TOL and use the Michigan line through ARB, BTC, KAL, etc. It's also possible they are holding you in CLE and waiting on #49 to couple both trains together and run the detour at the same time into CHI.

I'm pretty sure that they're coupling us together...will have to see if I can get a picture of that (a phone agent said we're waiting on getting a pilot). I saw 30 go by as we came into CLE...

...and I think I am officially not sleeping much more tonight. A) I've wanted to go through MI for a while but the forced double back via CHI was always a deterrent and B) regardless of scenery, Toledo-Detroit IS rare mileage.

Ok, I talked with another agent. The combination with 49 is confirmed (irony of ironies, I was scheduled to be on 49 but switched when a roomette opened up on 29) and we'll"be using a CSX track" per the agent. Not sure who owns that Toledo-Detroit line.

Just overheard a planned crew swap at Fostoria! Ex-Broadway route!

That's cool! Something must have happened between Toledo and Cleveland for them to switch to that route. I wonder if they will bring you back up north to TOL and use the normal route west of TOL or just keep on going on the old Broadway route into CHI. In a way I'm kind of surprised that they just didn't decide to bus everyone into CHI from CLE, but probably couldn't round up enough busses to transport 2 trains worth of people

Just looking at a map of Fostoria, they could turn you north to TOL at Fostoria but they would have to double wye the train.

You are likely to be taken down the old Big Four line (now CSX) to Greenwich, Ohio where you will be transferring off to the main B&O/CSX line west to Willard. Nice shops and yards there so get your camera out. Greenwich is where my fellow railfans watch trains but we wont be there that early this morning..smille. You will then end up in Fostoria, where they could take you north back to Toledo or may keep you on CSX to Chicago. Anyway, if that is the detour, you are indeed on some hallowed ground. Enjoy..

Just left Willard, OH. Was trapped in my seat during the Willard stop.

Edit: Crossed over a north-south line. We'll be on the detour all the way to Chicago... derailment was in SOB.

Just left Willard, OH. Was trapped in my seat during the Willard stop.

Edit: Crossed over a north-south line. We'll be on the detour all the way to Chicago... derailment was in SOB.
That was at Attica Jct with NS. Next stop is Fostoria and then westward. Wow! Hope you dont have a connection in Chicago but this route is a great ride.

Ok, just left Fostoria. That puts us about 5:15 out of CHI per the 2000/01 timetable (e.g hoping to arrive a bit after noon).

Edit: "Left" is a relative term, but got some shots of the station. I do have a connection in CHI... but it's the Hoosier State.

Ok, just left Fostoria. That puts us about 5:15 out of CHI per the 2000/01 timetable (e.g hoping to arrive a bit after noon).

Edit: "Left" is a relative term, but got some shots of the station. I do have a connection in CHI... but it's the Hoosier State.
If those nice CSX dispatchers let you around all the freight traffic, you should be fine. Enjoy

Knock on wood CSX is being quite nice. Track is pretty smooth, and I think dispatch just wants us gone. Passed a massive intermodal yard and got some pics. I don't THINK we're to Nappanee yet, however.

Edit: Just passed under US 24 and a sign saying 40 miles to Fort Wayne as of 9:20 Eastern.

What I am most surprised about is that a phone agent had THAT MUCH information on this. They are usually totally in the dark on these things. To even know they were going to combine the trains? Pretty unusual, in my experience. Hopefully this is a new thing.

Well, on Track a Train they're actually NOT combined (unless it's a REALLY REALLY long train), so before we praise the phone agent for having so much info, we should at least get confirmation that it's RIGHT... ;)

Well, on Track a Train they're actually NOT combined (unless it's a REALLY REALLY long train), so before we praise the phone agent for having so much info, we should at least get confirmation that it's RIGHT... ;)
Could be they left a locomotive behind.

Even if that turns out not to be true, they still had way more info than I have ever gotten out of them.

I have a photo of the head locomotive of 49 (locomotive 118) hooked up behind the last coach of 29. I also felt the bump as they hooked us up.

By the way, Amtrak has really put their best foot forward today. We just got free water and snack packs, the crew is in good spirits...all in all a great time. Best I've had on Amtrak in a long time.

Edit: They might've shut off the GPS thingy when the trains were combined.

Understood; just pointing out that TaT has 29 well into Indiana now, with 49 more slowly moving westward and just clearing Fostoria. Good to have the confirmation.

Anyone have any further info on what caused the reroute? NS is pushing traffic eastward through Chesterton this morning, and I've been unable to use the googles to come with any stories of a significant issue in northern Indiana...

Just that there was a freight derailment in South Bend. Also, the railfen have been out in some force. Last time I saw so many trackside cameras was for the VIA Adirondack.

Edit: Just passed Milford Junction at 1047 Eastern.

Edit 2: Nappanee at 1057.

Looks like you're approaching the meet with 48, that should be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back