Refunds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello All,

I just went to the Amtrak "refunds" section on their website but I'm confused. My girlfriend and I and her two kids (son 13 and daughter 17) are suppose to be going to Glenwood Springs CO from Lincoln NE on Labor Day weekend. The daughter is doing her best to get herself kicked out of this trip. I don't want to spend 72 hours with a spoiled brat if her attitude doesn't change quickly. I made my reservation through the website and have gone and picked up my tickets at our Amtrak station. If we decide she's not going, am I out her fare cost? Also, if she starts to be a turd in Glenwood Springs, my reaction is to put her back on the train back to Nebraska. The cost shows $71.00, will it be more if I book it the same day at the Amtrak station in GSC? I really hate posting a post like this, but I want to have my ducks in a row.

Sign Me,

Tired In LNK

RR,

Did you use a discount code when you booked this trip?

If so, there may be some provisions with regard to that particular code.

If you paid full rate, if you return the tickets to the agent before travelling, you should be entitled to

a) a voucher of the cost of the ticket good for future Amtrak travel, or

B) a refund of the cost of the ticket, minus a 10% service charge - If you charged the ticket, you'll likely see this show up about 1-2 weeks after you turn it in.

I cancelled reservations last week for a trip this week and got a 100% refund to my credit card in 2 days. I was advised by the ticket agent on the phone to NOT pickup the tickets ahead of time, but to pick them up the day of travel to have the option of a 100% refund.

I’ve found it exceedingly easy to get refunds form Amtrak, especially if I compare Amtrak with the airlines which prefer to keep the money for themselves. I routinely make my reservations on the Amtrak web site, and I can get a 100% refund right up until the moment the ticket is actually printed and issued to me. All other situations require a 10% serve fee.

The confusion is confined to two situations. One of them is sleeper reservations which are apparently not refundable for a week or so before scheduled departure. The other is any reservation made with any kind of promotion code. You have to read the fine print very closely (with a legal dictionary close at hand) to see what a cancellation will cost you.

Finally, I always seem to have the option of letting Amtrak keep my money when I cancel a reservation, in which case I never pay a fee; all of the funds are applied to my next reservation.

I don't know a lot about refunds, but I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry to hear this is turning into a bit of a disappointment for you. I know you've been looking forward to taking this trip. I hope it works out well for you.

Hello All,I just went to the Amtrak "refunds" section on their website but I'm confused. My girlfriend and I and her two kids (son 13 and daughter 17) are suppose to be going to Glenwood Springs CO from Lincoln NE on Labor Day weekend. The daughter is doing her best to get herself kicked out of this trip. I don't want to spend 72 hours with a spoiled brat if her attitude doesn't change quickly. I made my reservation through the website and have gone and picked up my tickets at our Amtrak station. If we decide she's not going, am I out her fare cost? Also, if she starts to be a turd in Glenwood Springs, my reaction is to put her back on the train back to Nebraska. The cost shows $71.00, will it be more if I book it the same day at the Amtrak station in GSC? I really hate posting a post like this, but I want to have my ducks in a row.

Sign Me,

Tired In LNK
Leave her behind and enjoy your trip. Why spend your money on someone who doesn't want to go. You will be better off.

Hello All,I just went to the Amtrak "refunds" section on their website but I'm confused. My girlfriend and I and her two kids (son 13 and daughter 17) are suppose to be going to Glenwood Springs CO from Lincoln NE on Labor Day weekend. The daughter is doing her best to get herself kicked out of this trip. I don't want to spend 72 hours with a spoiled brat if her attitude doesn't change quickly. I made my reservation through the website and have gone and picked up my tickets at our Amtrak station. If we decide she's not going, am I out her fare cost? Also, if she starts to be a turd in Glenwood Springs, my reaction is to put her back on the train back to Nebraska. The cost shows $71.00, will it be more if I book it the same day at the Amtrak station in GSC? I really hate posting a post like this, but I want to have my ducks in a row.

Sign Me,

Tired In LNK

I could leave you the mile marker to help you locate the high bridges along the route, and that might help solf the problem. LOL :D

You know.....the two kids messed up last Christmas and we nixed thier part of our first Amtrak trip to California. We are gonna have a "talk" and when railrookie talks, "the kids get scared". They know that I have footed the bill for alot of "cool" things. I'm really trying to make the train part of the trip "fun" and explain things to them like, "we are taking a train and not a plane, there are little to no similarities". I loved the last two posts!!!!! Would the conductor for a $20.00 tip stick her in the baggage compartment?!? :p

I feel for both you, and the kids!

I have been in your situation, both as stepparent and as a parent, and it 'aint easy. I know you are not asking for advice on parenting, but my two ha'porth (two cents worth?) would be to remember they are still kids, no matter how nice and how decent you are, deep down they want mum (mom!) to themselves and you represent a bit of a threat!

My own son (13) a seasoned Amtrak rider, has recently turned nasty to my girlfriend of 4 years, which contributed to her and I parting.

She had always been real nice to him, so don't take their behaviour as personal..

SLH.

I have a similar question as rail rookie. I've been handed two unused Amtrak tickets by a friend (tickets in friends and not my name) and instructed to use the value of the tickets (around $200) toward my $250 sleeper car purchase. If I hand in these tickets and request a travel voucher for my friend's tickets, can I use it towards my sleeper upgrade or will the travel voucher be in my friends name?

Rick

Call Amtrak and ask. The worst that can happen is they'll issue the voucher in your friend's name, and he'd have to buy your tickets.

I have a similar question as rail rookie. I've been handed two unused Amtrak tickets by a friend (tickets in friends and not my name) and instructed to use the value of the tickets (around $200) toward my $250 sleeper car purchase. If I hand in these tickets and request a travel voucher for my friend's tickets, can I use it towards my sleeper upgrade or will the travel voucher be in my friends name?
Rick
I believe the refund in the form of a travel voucher would have to be issued in the name of the original ticket purchaser. If the tickets are more than one year old, they aren't refundable at all, & there can be conditions printed on the tickets that shorten the refundability period.

Amtrak's website states that photo ID is required when "obtaining, exchanging, & refunding tickets". Also, under "Carriage of Passengers", is the statement "Tickets are not transferable".

Call Amtrak and ask. The worst that can happen is they'll issue the voucher in your friend's name, and he'd have to buy your tickets.
There isn't anything specifically addressing that issue on their website, but judging from the other ticketing rules, I would think it highly unlikely that one could use their own travel voucher to purchase tickets in someone else's name. In other words, travel vouchers are non-transferable.

I'd assume that as long as the person who was issued the voucher is present to actually redeem it, the ticket purchased could be in anyone's name. But again, that's why you should call Amtrak and ask.

Perhaps your friend could take the tickets in to get a refund, & use their value towards Amtrak gift certificates? Then s/he could give the gift certificates to you. Not sure if that would work, but it's a thought.

In discussions with my wife (whose friend is the source of the tickets), I will take the tickets to the counter and ask for a refund. I will ask for the refund be credited back to the friend's credit card used to purchase the tickets. This avoids the whole identity problem and my wife's friend gets her money back minus Amtrak's 10% tax.

I don't think the ticket agent will have a problem with this.

Rick

I don't think the ticket agent will have a problem with this.
Rick
Well, the agent did have a problem...

I just got back from South Station. I attempted to return my friend's tickets. The agent was willing to refund the fare minus 10% to my friend's credit card, but the computer would not permit it. The computer instructed the agent to grant a refund in cash. Since I was not the named ticket holder, the agent was not comfortable issuing me a cash refund.

I also picked up my sleeper upgraded tickets for my trip on the silver star in a couple of weeks. I'm in room 3 of car 9110 on the way down. I'm in room 6 of car 9210 on the way north.

Rick

I also picked up my sleeper upgraded tickets for my trip on the silver star in a couple of weeks. I'm in room 3 of car 9110 on the way down. I'm in room 6 of car 9210 on the way north.
Both good rooms in the center of the car and the sleeping car is the one right next to the diner. By the way, those car numbers aren't the number painted in red on each car, but a variable number located in a led display right by the door of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back