Refurbished roomettes-can't shut off speaker??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about turning the PA system off, but I've never been on a train on which announcements were made after 10PM. And while some begin promptly at 6AM, I've been on trains where announcements didn't begin until 7AM. Or later. Personally I tune them out so that I really don't hear them. Unless it's mealtime and I'm waiting to be called to the diner. Then I'm all ears. :lol:

10 pm to 7 am is the "quiet period" on a LD train when no announcements are made over the PA unless absolutely necessary. That is why during the last announcement of the night your told "... if you're getting off at _____, ______ or ______ (stops during the night), by sure your. In your room or seat so that the conductor can notify you of your upcoming stop."

OK. Thoroughly admonished by the official AU Thought Police, I won't express myself anymore ever again :excl: :mellow:
I don't see it that way, City. I thought it opened up an informative discussion about radios. Thanks to your post and the following comments about the crew using radios instead, I learned more about radio operations from Ryan and Alan.

As for stating that it would take too long for the crew to walk a few car lengths to talk to another crew member, I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I really meant no harm.

OK. Thoroughly admonished by the official AU Thought Police, I won't express myself anymore ever again :excl: :mellow:
I don't see it that way, City. I thought it opened up an informative discussion about radios. Thanks to your post and the following comments about the crew using radios instead, I learned more about radio operations from Ryan and Alan.

As for stating that it would take too long for the crew to walk a few car lengths to talk to another crew member, I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I really meant no harm.
Yes, it's been useful discussion. As for "Orange, pick up the IC", you need to understand that onboard staff might be almost anywhere on the train - diner, lounge car, crew car, the car they're assigned to, or anywhere in between. So it's not just a matter for walking 2 cars or 3 to find him. OTOH, I don't want to listen to any of this while I'm sleeping in sleeper. Duct tape? Pocket knife with screw driver? I've encountered only 1 or 2 channel switches in sleeper that don't work, but I always try to be prepared.

Oh FFS, somebody get Miss Polly's GD fake cheese cake to the H room so we can move on.

I'm on your side here. When discussing a serious problem, and I consider not being able to control loud, irrelevant announcements inside your sleeping accommodations at 7:00AM a serious problem, to quote company rules is begging the question.

I still think someone dropped the ball by removing the in-room controls.

Sleeping cars did just fine for a century with no PA system in every room...there is NO justification for the lack of an "off" switch.

the fact is, these types of interruptions of the passengers' peace and quiet would NOT have been tolerated for a moment during the Golden Age....if the Twentieth Century Limited had tried it, passengers would have fled to the Broadway Limited-----railroads back then followed the maxim that "the customer is your employer and your boss." Nowadays, Amtrak staff largely---not all, but largely---believes the customer is a pest to be ignored or treated rudely. So---I ride the train for ME, and don't let them ruin my experience. This PA system matter is just one more manifestation of the railroad not giving a hoot about passenger comfort. The difference between the level of service I experienced on a 1960 sleeping car trip to Florida and the level of today is staggering....but then, it is the same on the airlines, or worse, actually. And yet the cost of a first class train trip is now much higher than in 1960...back then, the sleeping car was a fairly minor increase in cost over coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back