Rejoice! French toast is returning to the menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Huckleberries I heartily recommend the Huckleberry Milkshake at the Two Sisters in Babb, MT. I think I am going to need lessons on how to be become a syrup snob,,,,

"Thread creep" is often more interesting than the original post. And sometimes more valuable. I am now going to go Google maple syrup packets.

As for the syrup conundrum, I usually have the omelet but on the rare occasions I have had the French toast I have always asked for and received sugar-free syrup as I am diabetic. I did try the pancakes a few days ago while on the CS and wasn't that impressed. The ones I just partook of at Philippe's were much better. ;)

I totally get the maple syrup "snobbery" as we are a maple syrup household at home. Where I'm not on the same page as some in this thread is the need to bring it along on the train. Why waste perfectly good maple syrup on so-so french toast or pancakes? If I've ordered those items I have already lowered my standards so there's no need to try to dress it up and pretend it's something excellent.

Since I don't eat eggs - not even on french toast, I really love amtrak's continental breakfast, it's lots of good food and I usually get a side of bacon or sausage too,

My Mom, may she rest in peace, learned to make French toast in Paris, so it was always served with a dusting of confectioner's sugar, but no syrup. That said, I've certainly learned to like it American style!

My Mom, may she rest in peace, learned to make French toast in Paris, so it was always served with a dusting of confectioner's sugar, but no syrup. That said, I've certainly learned to like it American style!
Fortunately for me my mom is not resting in peace just yet and her pancakes are excellent. She adds blueberries or chocolate chips. I may be 56 and Mom nearing 80 but I enjoy the fact she feels the need to spoil her baby. :p ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak usually has honey packets out with the jam and syrup packets. I stay away from high fructose corn syrup so I use honey and butter on the pancakes and French toast.

Would certainly be best to have real maple syrup or boysenberry syrup!

I brought my own maple syrup before, much to the jealousy of my seat mates.

I was last to sit, so everyone else was eating already, I popped out the real maple syrup.

With eyes wide opened watching as I drenched my breakfast. It reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where they are barred from bringing their own syrup to the coffee shop.

Oddly enough I don't remember the syrup but I'm pretty sure my Mom had a flour sifter like the one on the right, or one pretty darn like it.

I was in the mood for pancakes not long ago and decided to make some forgetting that I did not have syrup. I used confectioner's sugar on my pancakes. Have since bought a small bottle of syrup just in case I get in the mood again.

This syrup snob discussion intrigues me. I am happy the FT is back, and can't wait for it in May on the Chief, Starlight and CZ. I am going to Maritime Canada this fall and I will try to hone my maple syrup palette. I just love Aunt Jemima 'casue she is sticky and sweet. I never dreamed there were additional attributes for adulation.
Yuck.Corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, cellulose gum, caramel color, salt, sodium benzoate and sorbic acid (preservatives), artificial and natural flavors, sodium hexametaphosphate
And those are the GOOD ingredients! :giggle:

When I'm in Upstate NY, Vermont or Quebec I always look for those little souvenier bottles. Everyone always tells me how the larger ones are much better deals....I don't even try to explain why.
I just refill them. They do fine upside down on a post in the dishwasher then you refill from the big bottle using a funnel (then lick out the stuff stuck to the funnel).

I bet that photo was taken around 1987. Ask me how I know. ;)
Because the package says "100th Anniversary" and, according to Wikipedia, the brand name dates back to 1887?
You got it. Good work. There's one on e-bay (unopened) for $145!
That photo was taken earlier today. I just happen to have lots of old stuff--probably because I'm old!
I bought the syrup in 1987 because it brought back lots of good memories and never opened it. I should check eBay, right?

I bet that photo was taken around 1987. Ask me how I know. ;)
Because the package says "100th Anniversary" and, according to Wikipedia, the brand name dates back to 1887?
You got it. Good work. There's one on e-bay (unopened) for $145!
That photo was taken earlier today. I just happen to have lots of old stuff--probably because I'm old!
I bought the syrup in 1987 because it brought back lots of good memories and never opened it. I should check eBay, right?
Your choice! :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOG-CABIN-BRAND-SYRUP-METAL-TIN-100TH-ANNIVERSARY-NEW-/150653327246

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back