"Riding backwards" in a Viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donctor

Conductor
Does anyone mind having to "ride backwards" in a Viewliner? The few times I've had it happen, it hasn't been a big issue, though I'm not sure if it affects bedroom pax differently than roomette occupants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like riding backwards on the train. If you are in a roomette, no problem, but in a bedroom you are stuck!!

I have sat in the chair in a bedroom but that is not too comfortable for a long time.

I also try to get a forward facing seat in the dining car.

I don't like riding backwards on the train. If you are in a roomette, no problem, but in a bedroom you are stuck!!I have sat in the chair in a bedroom but that is not too comfortable for a long time.

I also try to get a forward facing seat in the dining car.

In a bedroom just move over to the sofa on the other side and you are riding in a foward facing direction. If you are uncomfortable in the chair just ask for a pillow.

Personally, I prefer riding backwards, that way, I can focus my attention on where I've been. I'm not always focused on whats coming ahead, my thoughts are all on enjoyment, but thats just me. I usually try to face forward on one trip, then backwards on the return trip.

I hate riding backwards. If the only seats avalible on my LIRR train are backwards facing, I just stand.

The bedroom I had on the Crescent was facing the right way, but I was on the boring side.

Personally, I prefer riding backwards, that way, I can focus my attention on where I've been. I'm not always focused on whats coming ahead, my thoughts are all on enjoyment, but thats just me. I usually try to face forward on one trip, then backwards on the return trip.
Then........aren't you seeing the same thing?

Hahaha...good one. :D

I very much dislike riding backwards. Most of my travels are on Viewliners and when in a roomette, I try to get an odd numbered room because the larger seat (and the one not next to the toilet) is facing forward. I will only get a bedroom if it is room B.

At the endo of the summer, when I travel across country mainly in Superliners, I will have E bedrooms most of the time and I hope I am not disappointed all of the time.

Hahaha...good one. :D
I don't mind riding backwards, since I'll like to see where I've been - and where I have to go next! :lol:

Aloha

If you ride backward, do you arrive before you left? :huh: :rolleyes:

Most of my travels are on Viewliners and when in a roomette, I try to get an odd numbered room because the larger seat (and the one not next to the toilet) is facing forward. I will only get a bedroom if it is room B.
Doesn't this all depend on the orientation of the Viewliner car, within the consist?

Most of my travels are on Viewliners and when in a roomette, I try to get an odd numbered room because the larger seat (and the one not next to the toilet) is facing forward. I will only get a bedroom if it is room B.
Doesn't this all depend on the orientation of the Viewliner car, within the consist?
Unlike Superliners, Viewliners generally face the same direction consistently. (It matters for Viewliners because unlike Superliners, location of the sole vestibule is important for safety reasons.) That's not to say that they never face the "wrong way"; when the yards in Miami, New York, Boston, and/or Chicago don't have enough time or space (or desire) to turn the car to the "proper" direction, it will run backwards.

Currently, Viewliners are oriented vestibule-first on all trains to which they're assigned. The sleeper on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited runs vestibule-rear somewhat regularly.

When the Viewliners were at the head-end, they would usually run vestibule-forward. Due to some safety issue, if/when they return to the head of the train, they will most likely run with the vestibule facing the tail so as to provide an exit adjacent to the table section of the diner.

I hate riding backwards. If the only seats avalible on my LIRR train are backwards facing, I just stand. The bedroom I had on the Crescent was facing the right way, but I was on the boring side.
Ok, I'll bite.

Which one is "the boring side"?

I hate riding backwards. If the only seats avalible on my LIRR train are backwards facing, I just stand. The bedroom I had on the Crescent was facing the right way, but I was on the boring side.
In a bedroom, if you leave the door & curtain open, sit in the middle of the sofa, you can see both sides!

RF

Aloha
If you ride backward, do you arrive before you left? :huh: :rolleyes:
I remember back a few years when you could fly from Detroit to Chicago - and arrive before you even took off! :lol: You departed Detroit at say 10:59 ET and arrived in Chicago at 10:54 CT! :lol:
You can still do it every day from Atlanta to NOL.
Speaking of Detroit, my Dad used to tell my mother after returning from Detroit that he'd gone South of the Border for dinner.............Windsor. True, too! :lol:

Currently, Viewliners are oriented vestibule-first on all trains to which they're assigned. The sleeper on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited runs vestibule-rear somewhat regularly.
When the Viewliners were at the head-end, they would usually run vestibule-forward. Due to some safety issue, if/when they return to the head of the train, they will most likely run with the vestibule facing the tail so as to provide an exit adjacent to the table section of the diner.
See..

https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=32656&view=findpost&p=232261

https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=32656&view=findpost&p=232261

See..

Yes

IM a sleeping car attendant on the BOS sleeper. I was actualy the one that contacted Mr.Boardman to have the BOS sleeper turned with the vestibule facing the rear.The reason is to allow the attendants relieve eachother during our downtime,thus 2 cars can be worked from one door. When the vestibule faces forward there is absolutey no crew to relieve you. That means ALL night stops must be manned by the sleeper attendant......and trust its absolutely exhasting. All so a fatigued crew member is very unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back