Room for 24 inch carry-on and large person?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arubafanatic

Train Attendant
I'm in a roomette and reviewing the U-tube videos, it looks like a tight squeeze. Is there really room for a 24 in carry-on? And if your are 260lbs or so, will you really be comfortable?

Are you in a roomette on a Viewliner or on a Superliner? :huh:

If it's a Superliner, there is a large luggage storage area on the lower level. If you don't (or can't) check baggage, I would recomend keeping the large bag there. If it's a Viewliner, there is "some" space above the hall (in your room), but I doubt the large bag will fit. Either way, your sleeping car attendant should be able to store it for you somewhere.

I'm in a roomette and reviewing the U-tube videos, it looks like a tight squeeze. Is there really room for a 24 in carry-on? And if your are 260lbs or so, will you really be comfortable?
Not really. As a big person with experience in roomettes, it is better than coach but would be tight. Look at the price of a family bedroom.

I'm on the Texas Eagle...I don't know off hand if that's a Superliner or Viewliner...I think it's a superliner.
correct.
As for the bed, it might be a bit narrow and its not plush like a hotel, but I am 260 and find it comfortable enough to sleep on. During the day you will have plenty of room though.

The Texas Eagle is a Superliner. If you are traveling alone, you can also ask the sleeping car attendant to keep the upper bed down and keep the bag there. But keep in mind, this will reduce your head room when the seats are set (during the day) and it may be hard to get the bag to your room (if you are on the upper level). The hallway and stairway are a little tight with a bag.

Unfortunately I am on an uppper 005. This is good to know, so do y'all suggest a backpack for carrying on?:huh:
Personally I just keep my bag in the baggage storage area downstairs. When I go to the shower or rest room to change, I can just grab the stuff I need from my bag on the way. (It's right next to them.) Then when I'm done, I can just put them back in my bag. No need to carry the bag!

Based on your point of origin and arrival, I always check my luggage. I only take a small duffle bag (clean clothes & tolitries) and sometimes my laptop in the roomette.

I'm on the Texas Eagle...I don't know off hand if that's a Superliner or Viewliner...I think it's a superliner.
Aloha

I rode the TE in April in A roomette. I am 6 foot 280 and was comfortable. If you have R GEE as your car attendant everything will be a blast.

Is 24" the longest dimension, or some sort of sum of the dimensions?

Are you travelling alone? That makes a big difference as to whether you might be able to put luggage on the bunk you're not using.

Are you in a roomette on a Viewliner or on a Superliner? :huh:
If it's a Superliner, there is a large luggage storage area on the lower level. If you don't (or can't) check baggage, I would recomend keeping the large bag there. If it's a Viewliner, there is "some" space above the hall (in your room), but I doubt the large bag will fit. Either way, your sleeping car attendant should be able to store it for you somewhere.
While the Texas Eagle is a Superliner train, I think it's worth noting the Viewliner sleepers were designed on the assumption that all of a passenger's luggage would fit either in their room or in the baggage car. Yes, the sleeper attendant may well store extra luggage in his/her room and/or the shower room, but that luggage is somewhat in someone's way, so it's best to avoid bringing a quantity of luggage that will force that to happen.

I'm 6 foot, 280 lbs and I am comfortable enough in a roomette. I carry a bag that is 24x14x10 and I just throw it up on the upper bunk and it will latch in the halfway up/down position providing plenty of headroom. If the bag was just a little bit thinner then the bunk can even close all the way in the up position.

I'm 6 foot, 280 lbs and I am comfortable enough in a roomette. I carry a bag that is 24x14x10 and I just throw it up on the upper bunk and it will latch in the halfway up/down position providing plenty of headroom. If the bag was just a little bit thinner then the bunk can even close all the way in the up position.
Is that on a single level Viewliner or a bi-level Superliner? (Remember, the Superliner cars are somewhat less than twice as tall as the Viewliners. This means that the compartments in the Viewliners are taller than the compartments in the Superliners.)

Arubafanatic

Here's a pic of a 25-inch bag on the step up to the top bunk in a Superliner. That's where many of us keep our bag in a Roomette.

I've done that every time I ride the Texas Eagle. Additionally, there is room under the seat(s) where I stow my daypack. Hope this helps.

mysuitcaseonthestep.jpg

"The Chief" thanks for that visual. It should help me decide also as to what to try to have in the room.

I have not slept in a sleeper yet but have one reserved on the EB and CZ later this year.

I may be totally wrong, and I am sure someone will tell me if I am, but I have the "idea" that the bed in the roomette will be no worse than sleeping on the couch as far as the width.

Who among us has not slept on the couch at one time or another?

and I just throw it up on the upper bunk and it will latch in the halfway up/down position providing plenty of headroom.
Good advice.

There are plenty of options.

There is ample room.

Bring you bag to your room, and you will see just how fine your trip will be.

So no more worrying, and enjoy !!!

and I just throw it up on the upper bunk and it will latch in the halfway up/down position providing plenty of headroom.
Good advice.

There is ample room.

I did that, too with bunk bed halfway up. However, one attendant told me that someone did that once and it accidently fell on one of sleeper's head. It flopped up and down in halfway position while the train is in motion. In closed and fully opened position, it is secured.

Good advice.

There is ample room.

I did that, too with bunk bed halfway up. However, one attendant told me that someone did that once and it accidently fell on one of sleeper's head. It flopped up and down in halfway position while the train is in motion. In closed and fully opened position, it is secured.
A bunk halfway down can and will bounce up, and then back down to the halfway position as the train bounces around. But it can not drop below that halfway point. So unless you stand up as the bunk is bouncing upwards and your head goes above that "halfway" point, it can't hit you in the head.

Good advice.

There is ample room.

A bunk halfway down can and will bounce up, and then back down to the halfway position as the train bounces around. But it can not drop below that halfway point. So unless you stand up as the bunk is bouncing upwards and your head goes above that "halfway" point, it can't hit you in the head.
That's entirely correct. The bunk can still bounce up and back down to the halfway point when the train hits a rough spot. It's not likely to fall all the way though unless perhaps the bolt or latches are faulty or worn. It could happen so it's wise to test it.

I try to travel with only one bag and one garment bag so my suitcase tends to be heavy enough to minimize any bouncing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that on a single level Viewliner or a bi-level Superliner? (Remember, the Superliner cars are somewhat less than twice as tall as the Viewliners. This means that the compartments in the Viewliners are taller than the compartments in the Superliners.)

I'm referring to superliner roomettes. I work on the Empire Builder and have got quite used to sleeping on the train in a roomette.

Well, I'm hardly qualified as a world traveler, but on my four previous overnight trips [with and w/o my wife] I/we packed in a duffel bag that was the same size as carry on luggage. During the day on the Superliner it fit on the stair going to upper bunk, or hung on the wall on a hook. At night it fit under the bed. On the Viewliner it easily fit in the storage area over the doorway, or on the top of the toilet.

This trip [KIN-PDX rt] - 14 days, 9 on a train - my wife and I have packed in one travel bag the size of carryon luggage. Unfortunately, we have also had to pack a small brief case for the computer, GPS, various chargers, wires, phones, cameras, snacks, and a sweater for my wife for the notoriously over excited air conditioning on the NE Regionals [when did all this junk become necessary?!].

For this trip, since we wanted to pack in one bag, we bought an Osprey Pack "Porter 46" which is exactly the size of a carry on bag, with compression straps and concealable backpack straps, and more than enough handles for tossing it around. It's constructions also allows it to be conveniently hung from the wall, and unpacked [or accessed] from the top down. $99 from Amazon, postage paid. Have loaded it up for the trip and the backpack arrangement really makes it easier to carry. Wish I had had it in Chicago when I waked from Union Station to the Oglivey Transportation Center in 90 degree heat.

for some really good ideas on traveling light see ONEBAG.com.

I am 6'7" and north of 300 pounds, and I sleep fine and fit everywhere but in the dining car - most embarrassing [well, OK, I don't go on the upper bunk either!]

Last edited by a moderator:
My 7 year old will be with me, so he doesn't need the head space. But the picture helps immensely. I figure I need the 24 in carry on for all of the carry on crap a mother usually has -- including the laptop and extra travel pillows for my lower back, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back