Roomette 17?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamar

Train Attendant
I just made a reservation for the Texas Eagle next month, and I noticed the roomette number is 17. I've only traveled sleeper twice, but I thought there were only 14 roomettes per car. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I just made a reservation for the Texas Eagle next month, and I noticed the roomette number is 17. I've only traveled sleeper twice, but I thought there were only 14 roomettes per car. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It's in the transition sleeper: http://web.mac.com/dzygmont/dazphotoworld/...r_Diagrams.html (scroll to the bottom)
Thanks! Is there anything better or worse about this arrangement that I should know?

I've never been on one or seen one but, isn't it the fartherest sleeper from the diner ( toward the baggage car )?

There will be less foot traffic from passengers. But there may be more from the crew. You will probably be at the front of the train (between the baggage car and the coaches). But IIRC, there is an upstairs shower.

But IIRC, there is an upstairs shower.
Depends on which version of the Trans/Dorm car you get. The majority have the shower upstairs, but there are some where the shower is downstairs.

Another disadvantage to the Trans/Dorm is that you're more likely to hear the horn on the engine, although some consider that an advantage.

There is no difference between the cars, except all the TRANS DORM rooms are upstairs. The downstairs is reserved for a crew rest area (which the apparently seldom use, instead taking up the small end of the diner) and restroom/showers.

The advantage is less passenger traffic, lower passenger/restroom and passenger/shower ratio.

One disadvantage is the sleeper attendant might mainly hang in the other sleeper. (That is if you even care to see them)

Hey, no worries. Try every options on room. Upper, lower, Trans. To each his own. But the accommodations themselves are equal.

The downstairs is reserved for a crew rest area (which the apparently seldom use, instead taking up the small end of the diner) and restroom/showers.
Actually the crew area is generally used by the conductors as their work area, which is probably why the OBS crew doesn't always hang out down there.

The downstairs is reserved for a crew rest area (which the apparently seldom use, instead taking up the small end of the diner) and restroom/showers.
Actually the crew area is generally used by the conductors as their work area, which is probably why the OBS crew doesn't always hang out down there.

Are the rooms in this car cheaper & is the train whistle that loud?

I've noticed, while planning a trip, that the lower coach seats get real pricey!! Why is that?

Wait there is no extra charge to ride in the lower level?? I mean I always saw that number and said gee thats stupid why would you pay that much more to sit down there besides the lack of stairs and the small groups of seats. Thanks I guess I am that gulliable.

Alan-

You have brought up a question that I have regarding the transition sleeping car. Am booked on the 22 TE from SAS to CHI in #20 roomette. If this belongs to the crew, is this a mistake? Where is this in relationship to the showers and the dining car?

Thanks so much.

Nitzotz

Alan-You have brought up a question that I have regarding the transition sleeping car. Am booked on the 22 TE from SAS to CHI in #20 roomette. If this belongs to the crew, is this a mistake? Where is this in relationship to the showers and the dining car?

Thanks so much.

Nitzotz
Nitzotz,

A lot depends on which variation of the Trans/Dorm you get. First, the crew will have rooms at one end of the car, while passengers have rooms at the other end of the car. Basically the stairs are the dividing line and you don't cross that line.

Depending on which version of the dorm you get, the shower could be upstairs right at the end of the passenger section, or it could be downstairs. However, unlike a normal sleeper with one common shower downstairs, if you get the dorm version with the showers downstairs, you'll find that the ladies shower is inside one bathroom specifically marked for ladies, and that the mens shower is inside one bathroom marked specifically for men.

On the Eagle your car should be one sleeper away from the dining car.

Depending on which version of the dorm you get, the shower could be upstairs right at the end of the passenger section, or it could be downstairs. However, unlike a normal sleeper with one common shower downstairs, if you get the dorm version with the showers downstairs, you'll find that the ladies shower is inside one bathroom specifically marked for ladies, and that the mens shower is inside one bathroom marked specifically for men.
Alan, I had never heard there were two versions of the transdorm. How did that happen? Were they not all ordered at the same time? Was it a mid-production change?

Alan, I had never heard there were two versions of the transdorm. How did that happen? Were they not all ordered at the same time? Was it a mid-production change?
I've never heard a reason as to why there are two types, and AFAIK all were ordered at the same time and all as part of the Superliner II order.

Alan-You have brought up a question that I have regarding the transition sleeping car. Am booked on the 22 TE from SAS to CHI in #20 roomette. If this belongs to the crew, is this a mistake? Where is this in relationship to the showers and the dining car?

Thanks so much.

Nitzotz
Nitzotz,

A lot depends on which variation of the Trans/Dorm you get. First, the crew will have rooms at one end of the car, while passengers have rooms at the other end of the car. Basically the stairs are the dividing line and you don't cross that line.

On the Eagle your car should be one sleeper away from the dining car.

Alan-

Thanks very much. Am so looking forward my first long trip in September. You have all been a big help.

Blessings,

Nitzotz

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 roomettes booked on the Empire Builder and they are in the Transition car. I have tried to change this every day for 2 weeks, but am having no luck. Are the transition cars refurbished like the other sleeper cars? Are the accommodations really the same or are they nasty. I am traveling with 2 children and am at this point debating on whether it's worth the extra $400 to sleep in less than good conditions or if I am misunderstanding and the accommodations are really the same?

The transdorm cars are fine. No different than any of the sleepers, in fact, most seem to be in better shape, as they aren't used quite as often as regular sleepers. They are more of an "overflow" during the winter months when they cut a sleeping car on most trains.

So, don't worry! They are fine!

I have 2 roomettes booked on the Empire Builder and they are in the Transition car. I have tried to change this every day for 2 weeks, but am having no luck. Are the transition cars refurbished like the other sleeper cars? Are the accommodations really the same or are they nasty. I am traveling with 2 children and am at this point debating on whether it's worth the extra $400 to sleep in less than good conditions or if I am misunderstanding and the accommodations are really the same?
I agree with Shawn, I wouldn't worry about it all. Frankly the biggest possible downside to the dorm car is that you have to walk further to get to the dining car and the lounge car. You also may hear the whistle on the engine a bit more than you would in another sleeper but that's it.

Otherwise the rooms are identical in shape and size to the rest of the rooms on the train. On the Empire Builder the other sleeping cars have received a refurbishment, but the biggest changes were new carpeting and a remodel of the bathrooms. The sleeping compartments didn't really change all that much, and as noted by Shawn, the dorm cars have seen less foot traffic over the years (in fact for many years Amtrak didn't even sell rooms to passengers in the dorms).

And with two children, I'm sure that you'll be far more comfortable in the dorm than you would be in coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back