Roomette for two people ... Your Opinions Requested :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian

Hello All!

Had a quick question for all of you. I'm in the preliminary process of planning a train trip from Los Angeles to New Orleans on the Sunset Limited, then catching the Crescent up to Atlanta. The Sunset Limited portion of the trip is two nights so I'm defiantly thinking a sleeper would be our best bet for a comfortable trip.

Now the question is to whether go for a roomette or a bedroom. For clarification I'd be traveling with my brother. Both of us are around six feet tall.

The Bedroom will run at a $698 supplement while the roomette would be a $236 supplement. That make's a $462 a difference. I "think" I'm fine with sharing a roomette for the trip, but I would love to get some firsthand experience from those who have actually stayed in a roomette with another person. Judging from the pictures it looks like it might be a little bit of a squeeze. Would it be just uncomfortably tight for two six foot lads? I have no qualms about setting up camp during the day in the lounge, but I don't know how hard/difficult it is to get a seat in the lounge during the day.

If push comes to shove I might just pay $472 for two separate roomette, but once again would love to hear your opinions on this.

Just one more question: Whats the general consensus on the scenery on the trip. Judging by the route map it doesn't look like anything crazy exciting, but I'm looking forward to just having a relaxed trip across the country.

Thanks & Blessings

fw

I'm 6'1 and I have travelled on several train trips with friends and family and never had a problem. The Roomettes are small, but they are very well designed. By the time one of you hangs out in the lounge a bit, there should really be no trouble at all. IMHO it would be a sad waste of money to book 2 roomettes.

Also.. I just saw your taking the Crescent from NOL to ATL... check the sleeper prices for that segment. Most of the time you can get a great deal on that station pair, since its all daytime on the trains heavier sleeper traffic boards in Atlanta and points North.

When you factor in the 3 meals a piece, the luxury of a room is just an added benefit!

Hi, I am six- two tall, and have travelled in roomettes with my son, aged 12, and seperatly with a former girlfriend. During the day, you have two large seats, which can recline, in the roomette. There is enough elbow room for two persons. When configured for sleeping, it is quite adequate, as you just need to lie down.

Best to leave any large items of luggage downstairs in the luggage rack, and just bring valuables and toiletries to the roomette.

Scenery is not that interesting, but as I live in the UK, it was a pleasant change for me to look out on desert scenery instead of lush green fields...

I think you would be best with the single roomette, a bit cramped, but saving a worthwhile amount of $.

Ed :cool:

The only real problem is that in a roomette, is that the two seats face each other. That means you share, quite intimately, the small amount of available leg room. Honestly, I am a lot shorter than you, and I find it rather tight. Now, for me, my kid and I can chris-cross legs and I put my feet up on the bunk step.

Doable but Roomettes are not spacious. In a bedroom you will have a full sofa, an easy chair , a foldable table,during the day and two bunk beds and the easy chari in the evening plus the bathroom/shower & sink at all times. If more room and a private bathroom is important to you the bedroom is the choice. If cost is the prime concern the roomette is less costly and you can probably get by but you will use the community shower down the hall.

On one overnite trip I prefer the roomette for one the bedroom for two. On two overnights or more I'll spend the extra money and go for the bedroom.

I will go on record as strongly endorsing the bedroom. Despite being billed for two, the roomette really is ideal for one. As has been stated, there is minimal leg room for two people, and when the beds are down it is very tight when one needs to get out of bed. Two days is a long time to endure these cramped quarters. And, being a Superliner, there is no toilet or sink in the room, whereas a bedroom would provide both of those and a shower. Unless you are two party-hearty college kids, I would encourage you to select the bedroom.

Just yesterday this post appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All!
Had a quick question for all of you. I'm in the preliminary process of planning a train trip from Los Angeles to New Orleans on the Sunset Limited, then catching the Crescent up to Atlanta. The Sunset Limited portion of the trip is two nights so I'm defiantly thinking a sleeper would be our best bet for a comfortable trip.

Now the question is to whether go for a roomette or a bedroom. For clarification I'd be traveling with my brother. Both of us are around six feet tall.

The Bedroom will run at a $698 supplement while the roomette would be a $236 supplement. That make's a $462 a difference. I "think" I'm fine with sharing a roomette for the trip, but I would love to get some firsthand experience from those who have actually stayed in a roomette with another person. Judging from the pictures it looks like it might be a little bit of a squeeze. Would it be just uncomfortably tight for two six foot lads? I have no qualms about setting up camp during the day in the lounge, but I don't know how hard/difficult it is to get a seat in the lounge during the day.

If push comes to shove I might just pay $472 for two separate roomette, but once again would love to hear your opinions on this.

Just one more question: Whats the general consensus on the scenery on the trip. Judging by the route map it doesn't look like anything crazy exciting, but I'm looking forward to just having a relaxed trip across the country.

Thanks & Blessings

fw
Scenery: Highlights wind farm in Palm Springs, Bayou Country, deserts, Huey P Long Bridge

Room Question: All your meals are included (2 dinners 2 breakfasts and based on crew 1 or 2 lunches.) Bedroom nice your own toilet and shower. Roomette nice facilities down the hall. Depending on how well you and your brother get along you should be fine in a roomette.

Sizes:

Roomette: 3'6X6'6 lower berth 2'4 X 6'6 Upper berth with steps 2'0 X6'2

Bedroom 6'6 X 7'6 lower berth 3'4 X 6'3 Upper berth with ladder 2'4 X 6'2 This means the lower berth is basically a twin and a half.

I think a roomette is fine for one person, or two short thin persons, maybe a parent and young child. Otherwise, I vote for the bedroom. Once you actually have taken the trip you may then be in a better position to judge.

But, sight unseen, at least for this trip, I think it wise to splurge on a bedroom Once aboard you may decide the roomette could have been adequate and do that, then, for future trips.

But it will make this trip more special if you sink a little more dough into it.

Re-reading your post , are you you just thinking of the Sunset Limited portion, then coach on the Crescent?

If you meant sleeper all the way, which you probably did not, I would do bedroom on the Sunset and roomette on the Crescent, meals included, since that is a day trip.

The roomette is fine for two. If the leg room gets to you just head to the lounge for a while or you could even just sit in coach part of the day. The daytime configuration is not the reason why you get a roomette, you get it for the flat beds and included meals. Personally the bedroom is too much extra, but if you really want it the second roomette sound like a decent price, but I still wouldn't get it. You just have to ask yourself is it worth the extra money for more. A lot of people recommend the bedroom, but of course the highest price room will be the best. It seems like some folks will always default to the full bedroom, but they must be made of money or are so awestruck by trains that they are willing to pay whatever is quoted without making a good cost analysis.

The roomette is fine for two. If the leg room gets to you just head to the lounge for a while or you could even just sit in coach part of the day. The daytime configuration is not the reason why you get a roomette, you get it for the flat beds and included meals. Personally the bedroom is too much extra, but if you really want it the second roomette sound like a decent price, but I still wouldn't get it. You just have to ask yourself is it worth the extra money for more. A lot of people recommend the bedroom, but of course the highest price room will be the best. It seems like some folks will always default to the full bedroom, but they must be made of money or are so awestruck by trains that they are willing to pay whatever is quoted without making a good cost analysis.

It really depends on how much space you think you need. We have found that a roomette is just okay for shorter (day) rides, just barely. If you really need/want leg room and space, go for the bedroom. We much prefer the bedroom, because of the added bathroom, & there's really enough room to move around in it. We try to get the best deal we can for the bedrooms. On our last trip, we booked roomettes, but were able to upgrade to a bedroom for $50. It was worth it to us for the extra room. The best way to get a better deal is book as early as you can, usually prices go up as the travel date gets closer.

But about sitting in coach during the day, remember two things, 1. there has to be space available, just because a seat is empty now does not mean some legitimate coach passenger might not need a seat at a later stop ,and, 2. get permission of the coach attendant.

I am 6" and my companion was about the same. We went cross country last year - one way in a roomette and one way in a bedroom. Yes, the bedroom has much more room, but I found the roomette had enough room too. With one person's legs on the step, there is enough room for the other person's legs on the opposite seat. Otherwise, you could spend time in the Sightseer Lounge!

My wife and I were quite comfortable and not cramped in our CZ roomette two years ago. The only time space is really tight is when the seats are folded to form the bottom bunk and the top bunk is lowered. Presumably you're in bed asleep anyway. The bedroom does give you more room and a private bath, which may be important to some. When I've shopped, however, the bedrooms are usually twice the price of the roomettes.

If your dates are flexible, since the Sunset only runs 3 days a week from LAX-NOL, perhaps you can find a better price on the bedroom, $600+ is a little pricey, the roomette is a good price for this trip!

Ive ridden all over the country in Superliners (two level cars like the Sunset) and Viewliners (the single level Crescent from NOL-ATL) and in roomettes, bedrooms and, ahem coach! IMO as the other posters said the roomette is adequate

for 2 on the Sunset, since it's 2 nights you can alternate in the top bunk, which is called the coffin since there are no windows up top and the headroom is really tight, it's a flat bed and if you can sleep easily anywhere it's no problem, just a little tight getting up and down, especially during the night with both beds down!(The Viewliner is much better with windows up top, lots of headroom and a sink and toliet in the room, only a problem @ night with both beds down, courtesy is required when going to the loo!)Since the meals are included for 2 the roomette is a good deal on both trains as the others have said, NOL-ATL is an especially good deal since it's day-time with three meals and usually low bucket!(the pricey part comes from ATL-WAS on this train!)

The scenery is nothing to write home about but there are a few exceptions, it's desert most of the way from LAX-SAS

but in El Paso you'll be right on the Mexican border, in West Texas youll cross the Pecos River High bridge,ride along the border Lake called Amistad @ Del Rio,Texas,SAS is @ night but you can look @ the old Sunset Station during the stop, into HOS as the sun comes up, then across the swamps and rivers of LA and across the Huey Long Bridge into NOL.

Hope this helps out, I'd check the dates and if you find a better price for the bedroom book it, otherwise go for the roomettes on both trains! Remember NOL has some really good deals on hotels during non-rourist times (the summer and after Mardi-Gras are best),check Orbitz.com which I like or Priceline is another good one! Keep us posted!

Totally depends on how comfortable you are with your brother, and how comfortable you are with spending money. The seats are plenty large, but you'll be looking at each other all day and bumping your legs once in a while. If that creeps you out more than the extra cost does, you might not want to do it ... but if it doesn't, you'll be fine.

Another point is that having two people in a Superliner roomette leaves very little space for in-room luggage. You'd need to store almost everything on the downstairs luggage racks.

Wow, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of responses. Thanks so so much!

I didn't realize there's be such mixed opinions! But it has really given me a better gauge for the differences between a roomette and a bedroom. I think for right now I'll probably stick with the one Roomette and if the prices come down for the bedroom (or if an on board upgrade is available) I might just spring for that. It'll be an adventure either way! Right now the price difference is so great, that I can't justify it in my mind. I'm thankful for this thread though so I won't be shocked when I actually board the train at the size of it.

As for the Crescent NOL-ATL route, the cost of upgrading is substantially cheaper for the 12 hour journey. $45 for a Roomette and $70 for a bedroom (to me an excellent deal with three meals for each of us!). I think I'd probably just spend the extra $25 and get the bedroom for this portion of the trip for the added space.

Thanks again for all your advice! And if theres any other opinions/thought out there (regarding the Roomette or the train/scenery in general), Id love to hear them.

Blessings,

fw

Wow, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of responses. Thanks so so much!
I didn't realize there's be such mixed opinions! But it has really given me a better gauge for the differences between a roomette and a bedroom. I think for right now I'll probably stick with the one Roomette and if the prices come down for the bedroom (or if an on board upgrade is available) I might just spring for that. It'll be an adventure either way! Right now the price difference is so great, that I can't justify it in my mind. I'm thankful for this thread though so I won't be shocked when I actually board the train at the size of it.

As for the Crescent NOL-ATL route, the cost of upgrading is substantially cheaper for the 12 hour journey. $45 for a Roomette and $70 for a bedroom (to me an excellent deal with three meals for each of us!). I think I'd probably just spend the extra $25 and get the bedroom for this portion of the trip for the added space.

Thanks again for all your advice! And if theres any other opinions/thought out there (regarding the Roomette or the train/scenery in general), Id love to hear them.

Blessings,

fw
I think a roomette is tight for two adults, but it is okay. You might want to think about getting TWO roomettes, which is still cheaper than 1 bedroom by $236. Do the reservation by phone, so you can pick the rooms, and get them right across from each other. You can both ride in the same room, go back to your own room, and also get to see out of both sides of the train. With 2 6' guys, that is what I'd do.

The scenery is nothing to write home about but there are a few exceptions, it's desert most of the way from LAX-SASbut in El Paso you'll be right on the Mexican border, in West Texas youll cross the Pecos River High bridge,ride along the border Lake called Amistad @ Del Rio,Texas,SAS is @ night but you can look @ the old Sunset Station during the stop, into HOS as the sun comes up, then across the swamps and rivers of LA and across the Huey Long Bridge into NOL.
Many, many years ago I took a train (not the Sunset Limited) from Los Angeles to San Antonio

and I don't remember the Pecos River High bridge, but I probably passed over it at night. The

one thing that sticks in my memory is traveling in the Rio Grande river gorge just west of El

Passo. One moment I was looking out over the river and could see nothing that might be

supporting the train and then passing through a tunnel and facing a cliff wall that seemed to go

up forever.

That trip through the gorge was the most beatuiful part of the whole journey.

However the desert has its own stark beauty, but perhaps that is influenced by my life on

the ocean. Perhaps the total absence of water is attractive because it is relatively rare

along ocean coasts.

--

Bud

I am 5'3" and my ex-husband is 6'3" and when we traveled in roomettes, it was tight sitting across from each other. He seemed to take up most of the leg room and always got the bigger seat, when in a Viewliner. If I flet cramped or needed more leg room, I went to the lounge and sat there, and seemed to work out fine. I think the sleeping accomodations for 2 in the roomette are ok in the Viewliner, however, I think it is a bit claustrophic on the top bunk in the Superliner. Now that I am divorced and usually travel alone, I have plenty of room in the roomette and I sometimes splurge on a bedroom.

:)

It seems like some folks will always default to the full bedroom, but they must be made of money or are so awestruck by trains that they are willing to pay whatever is quoted without making a good cost analysis.
What an ignorant and, quite honestly, offensive remark.
Everybody has an opinion. This has been discussed before, some do feel that way. It is not necessarily true. Most discussions involving roomettes & bedrooms seem to be about the value based on the money spent & getting a decent price for either one.

I always figure in the prices of the meals, juice, water & coffee into the cost.

I subtract that from the price of the roomette/bedroom.

Then you are left with the value of showers/privacy/flat bed, etc.

It is usually 'worth it' for us, but I try to get the best deal I can, because we are not made of money or so awestruck with trains.

It's really based on your needs & what you can afford. We always save the money for our trips.

It seems like some folks will always default to the full bedroom, but they must be made of money or are so awestruck by trains that they are willing to pay whatever is quoted without making a good cost analysis.
What an ignorant and, quite honestly, offensive remark.
How is that in any way offensive?

I've travelled in Coach, Roomette, and Bedroom. To me, a Roomette is worth the price, a Bedroom is only worth the price if you get a good deal, or I'm using points. Take a look at some of the high bucket Bedroom prices and indeed anyone paying that HAS to be made of money!

Indeed it does seem a bit snobbish for someone to say that "A roomette is just too small for 2 people." Well excuse me... I hope I never sit opposite of you in the diner when I'm traveling in coach, you probably can not imagine having to travel like such lower class citizens! (Opinion greatly exagerated for dramatic affect.)

Of Course the Bedroom is going to have more room.. thats why its called a Bedroom, and the other is a "Roomette!"

My wife and I took our first trip on Amtrak in Dec. due to budget constraints we had to settle for the roomettes. When we boarded I was a little surprised at how small it was. I had taken the Virtual Tour of all the rooms on Amtrak.com, the room was exactly what they had shown,it was just smaller than I expected(if you put your thumbs under your armpit and stick your elbows straight out, you will probably hit both the outside window and the hallway wall with your elbows! ) We were on two Superliners and one Viewliner. We were able to upgrade to a bedroom on the Viewliner which really had alot of room,but I don't see how you guys can use the bathroom or the shower. they are really small. I used the community shower where there was more room.I told my wife next time we are getting a room! Well next time is coming up at the end of March I have booked a 15 day trip with almost 250 hours on the train all in a roomette :D .So to sum it up in my opinion it doesn't matter where youre at or where you're going as long as you are on the train.You will be just fine in a rmmte.,if not you may be able to upgrade to a bdrm on the train for a lot lower price. Like a friend told me flip a coin you'll enjoy the outcome either way. Hope your trip goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back