Roomette on California Zephir

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
I am excited about my first long distance trip on Amtrak Superliner. My trip will be in June going from Chicago to Emeryville. I have a fix date to be in SFO therefore I decided to book early. I have got Roomette # 13 which I found out is on the lower level.

Is there any big disadvantage to be on the lower level in regard of view and noise or any other effects???

Is there any way to change this to a roomette on upper lever?

What are your opinions and experiences?

Willy

I am from Europe and I am living in the Middle East

European Trains in QTVR ( Virtual Reality)

Welcome Aboard!

The advantage to the lower level is less sway from the train. The disadvantages (at least from my experience) is that you will never see the train attendant.

I suppose you could ask the train attendant to move you up top if there are any available rooms. I would doubt that there are any rooms available on the California Zephyer in June, but there may be.

I'm concerned that you stated that you have a fixed date that you need to be in San Francisco. I trust you have reviewed the on time performance of the California Zephyer and left yourself plenty of time. Although I've never ridden on the Zephyer, I understand that it is frequently late and sometimes very late.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stick with the lower level roomette. Alot less foot traffic and you are right by the bathrooms/showers and luggage rack. Roomettes are tiny so you can't keep much luggage in the room so you will have the luggage rack right by your room. One small disadvantage is when the train is stopped, people can look in your roomette from outside the train if you don't have the curtains pulled, but that doesn't happen much cuz the train stops are "quick" other than at designated stops where they change crew members and take on fuel/water etc. I liked being in the lower level alot more than the upper level. We had a sleeper car attendent named Ray Chambers that was excellent even though we were in the lower level. He attended all our needs so my experience is different than the poster before me. The CZ is always late so you may want to think over the "set date" comment. We arrived in EMY 6 hours late due to slow orders from UP. Kick back, relax and enjoy the trip. Take off your watch and enjoy life, the people and the scenery.

If you would like to change to an upper lever room, you would have to call the 800 number. However, from what I understand, that could change your price.

If it were me, I would try and change. I would much rather be on the upper level for the better view out my window.

If it were me, I would try and change. I would much rather be on the upper level for the better view out my window.
that was one of my concerns when I saw my booking on the lower level. Because one of my goals is taking pictures... not only from the lounge car.

So I have to think it over and give it a try to call 1 -800....

European Trains from the inside

that was one of my concerns when I saw my booking on the lower level. Because one of my goals is taking pictures... not only from the lounge car.

So I have to think it over and give it a try to call 1 -800....

European Trains from the inside
Last month I had a roomette on lower level on the SW Chief. I too was dubious as all other trips were on top level.

What I didn't like - maybe a little less view although actually got a better view of what was going on in stations and rail terminals since were at eye level.

What I did like - Loved the quiet on the lower level. The door was handy to pop out at stops and even sneak open the window portion to grab a few phots. Privacy was never an issue as just drew the curtains at night.

I think the attendent summed it up. The lower level is much better than the upper, unless a familly with rowdy kids is occupying the family bedroom. I would certainly take the lower level again.

It wouldn't hurt to call the Amtrak reservation to check out the price if you want to change the room. Call is free!
After having had upper and lower, I'll go with lower every time! It's quieter, the best bathrooms are there (more than one!), the luggage is close by (I stored my bags out on the shelves). You wind up spending time in the lounge so take your pics from there. And the view from down below isn't bad at all.

After having had upper and lower, I'll go with lower every time! It's quieter, the best bathrooms are there (more than one!), the luggage is close by (I stored my bags out on the shelves). You wind up spending time in the lounge so take your pics from there. And the view from down below isn't bad at all.
Hi and thanks to all of you with with your valuable hints.

I finally decided to stay in my room 13..... 13 =lucky draw...

Still wondering how a ride on Amtrak LD will be !?

Guess it might be a different experience to my frequent European night travel

But I've been on European equipment from the 60's, especially in Spain, that's still running; looks antique, but nice - and you might get lucky and get one of the newly refurbished sleepers (note the cool blue lighting!)

The CZ is always late so you may want to think over the "set date" comment. We arrived in EMY 6 hours late due to slow orders from UP. Kick back, relax and enjoy the trip. Take off your watch and enjoy life, the people and the scenery.
I feel lucky that I have found this forum as a great source of useful information about Amtrak. Every other day I check the actual arrival times of the CZ and that indicates considerable delays of several hours many times. knowing this I think somebody should consider a long distance travel as a kind of holyday cruise and not a means of transport to get somewhere on time. When traveling in Europe I can calculate my connections sometimes in fractions of a minute which works out most of the time and if not, well there will be another train in 30-60 min bringing you with same comfort and speed to your destination.

Aloha

I also have had a upper and lower, on the same route, Coast Starlight, My take is there is less sway, more noise in the lower. If that important to you thats what should be considered. For record most spend more time in the lounge than in the room.

Enjoy your Trip.

Hi and thanks to all of you with with your valuable hints.

I finally decided to stay in my room 13..... 13 =lucky draw...

Still wondering how a ride on Amtrak LD will be !?

Has somebody an idea where car 531 is situated in the CZ in respect to front / rear of train and distance to dining/ lounge car?

Has somebody an idea where car 531 is situated in the CZ in respect to front / rear of train and distance to dining/ lounge car?
Front of the train immediately aheead of the diner:

Front

Transition Sleeper 533 (now dropped?)

Sleeper 532

Sleeper 531

Diner

Sightseer Lounge

Coach

Coach

Coach

Rear

Nice pictures! Riding both Amtrak (not as much as I would like) and good portion of Eurasia for many years, well, it's difficult to compare which is better. One thing is sure: I like the Russian "titan" with boiling hot water better than the weak coffee in amtrak sleeper. But the rest is a draw. I did even ride old slumercoaches as few were still in service on Amtrak. I am not sure about the rest.

Maybe the best price/performance is the super-duper deluxe RZD sleeper Berlin-Moscow with 4 compartments in the car and all-day buffet? Is expensive from Berlin, but under 100 Euro/Person from Warsaw. The EN sleeper you took pictures is very nice but beyond my budget of 5 people.

Thanks for BP Keleti pics and for new V1047 in the background.

Trick about Budapest:

1) Open your picture

2) Look straight into "eye" of V1047 (it's on the track #8)

3) Slowly rotate the cursor, so now V1047 is on your left hand side.

4) You should see an older gentleman holding yellow-blue paper box in his right hand.

Just across you is the Wasteels travel office. This is the only one in Budapest who will sell you rail ticket without handling fee and accept "plastic". They - unlike MAV ticket agents even do speek (some) English. They also sell CITY-STAR tickets, a very important means to travel to Germany, Austria and most of East Europe. Anyone traveling extensively in Europe should go to that place very first, than somewhere else.

Q: how was the SZ dining car on "Avala"? We wanted to use it, but arrived with good 180+ from Saloniki and missed the connection. The local trains were of course pretty bad, but still managed with some running to arrive in outskirts of Budpest around midnight - 4 connections from Belgrade! If you look at my "avatar" it's actually the front part of Avala with ÖBB 2nd class behind RZD sleeper

Thanks for BP Keleti pics and for new V1047 in the background.

Trick about Budapest:

1) Open your picture

2) Look straight into "eye" of V1047 (it's on the track #8)

3) Slowly rotate the cursor, so now V1047 is on your left hand side.

4) You should see an older gentleman holding yellow-blue paper box in his right hand.

Just across you is the Wasteels travel office. This is the only one in Budapest who will sell you rail ticket without handling fee and accept "plastic". They - unlike MAV ticket agents even do speek (some) English. They also sell CITY-STAR tickets, a very important means to travel to Germany, Austria and most of East Europe. Anyone traveling extensively in Europe should go to that place very first, than somewhere else.

Q: how was the SZ dining car on "Avala"? We wanted to use it, but arrived with good 180+ from Saloniki and missed the connection. The local trains were of course pretty bad, but still managed with some running to arrive in outskirts of Budpest around midnight - 4 connections from Belgrade! If you look at my "avatar" it's actually the front part of Avala with ÖBB 2nd class behind RZD sleeper
Maybe we are going a bit off topic but....

.. I can second your opinion about Wasteels office in Budapest.

I dont know if I have been on the Avala. It was a Intercity Belgrade Budapest Vienna with arrival in Vienna around 7 PM the food was plenty and the price cheap.

Here another view of Keleti PU

And here something unbeatable. One night on a sleeping car across Syria for only 6.50$US

Transition Sleeper 533 (now dropped?)
As far as I know, Amtrak abandoned the plan to remove Transition sleepers some time ago. The Heritage crew dorms, however, are no longer in use.
Nope, the plan to remove Transistion sleepers was definately not abandoned. A good friend of mine who just attended the recent NARP region 2 meeting reported that the new VP of Marketing and Product Management Emmett Fremaux stated the following:

He is working hard to get the Transition Dorms back on the Superliner trains to sell part of the inventory on them to customers.

Maybe we are going a bit off topic but...... I can second your opinion about Wasteels office in Budapest.

I dont know if I have been on the Avala. It was a Intercity Belgrade Budapest Vienna with arrival in Vienna around 7 PM the food was plenty and the price cheap.

Here another view of Keleti PU

And here something unbeatable. One night on a sleeping car across Syria for only 6.50$US
Only 50-100 times more and you can have a similar room in America.

The absence of the transition sleeper has created a problem that was reported on FlyerTalk: diesel fumes in the first car. The Transition car has the forward car-to-car door at the low-level car elevation (transition). The baggage car shields the door from the exhaust coming from the locomotives. But a standard sleeper has the door at the upper-level height and the upper part of that door is above the roof of the baggage car and right in the path of the exhaust fumes.

The FlyerTalk poster said the smell of the fumes throughout that first sleeper was strong and unpleasant. Apparently the crew had attempted to seal the door with duct tape, but duct tape being duct tape, it quickly came loose and was hanging. This, in my opinion, is a major issue. Of course this is only one person's observation and maybe it was a fluke, but the mere thought of breathing diesel exhaust for hours on end is enough to make me think twice about accepting a room in the first car of any Superliner train that does not have a transition car in the lead.

For the benefit of the OP, car 531 is the second car and is OK.

Nope, the plan to remove Transistion sleepers was definately not abandoned.
It has not been implemented yet, correct? I have seen many recent pics with the transition dorms still on the trains.
AFAIK the plan did not include all of the LD's that use Superliners, but several of them including the Zephyr and the CS IIRC were in the plan and to my knowledge they were indeed removed. And the remarks of the Amtrak VP would seem to confirm that, otherwise there would be no need for him to fight to get them back.

Doing a little photo research has revealed transition dorms on the Zephyr as late as February 6th, 2007...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=174602

There are also many pics that include the TD from January 2007.

The absolute lastest pic I could find (from March 10th, 2007) did not include the TD, but had three regular sleepers instead...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=179364

Was the plan to dump the transition and add a third standard sleeper? Does anyone have any first hand accounts of the Zephyr running without a transition dorm or third sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back