rooms numbers superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varnish

Train Attendant
Hi,

Been 3+ years since my last AMK trip....senior memory moment.... :unsure:

questions:

Economy rooms,upper level: are they numbered #1 to #10 from end of the car inward, or the other way around ?

Deluxe berdroom, same question: # A to # E from end of car inard or vice versa?

Don't tell me about downstairs....wouldn't book a room there.

Tks for trivial information

Smooth rails await....

Cheers

Claude

:)

The cars can either be bedroom first or roomette first. It depends on which direction the car was facing in the yard when the train was made up.
Maybe this will help you?

Friends of Amtrak
Yeah, but the question was where the rooms were relative to the end of the car, not to the direction the train is going. IAC, the diagrams answer the question for the Heritage, Superliner, and Viewliner sleeping cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer-Roomettes are numbered inside out, odd numbers from the bathroom, even from the coffee. Bedrooms are outside in.

A longer answer this question. The Roomettes are numbered from the middle of the car to the end starting with #1 next to the bathroom. The numbers are staggered, instead of being 1 2 3 4, on the left side it is 1,3, etc.

You can always orient yourself by the stairs & coffee station. The stairs going up always make a U turn to the right, which places the Roomettes on your right side. The Roomettes are always next to the bathroom & coffee station on the right. Roomette #1 is always next to the bathroom, #2 is next to the coffee.

The bedrooms are always to the left at the top of the stairs. They are always numbered starting with "E" at the stairway, opposite the coffee, then D,C, etc.

Hope this makes it easier to remember. At the top of the stairs Roomettes to the right, Bedrooms to the left.

It does not matter which direction the car is pointing, the stairs always go in a right U turn. :)

Sorry, not quite awake yet! Had to edit it!

Although sunchaser answered it (even though not awake :lol: ), the easiest way to remember it is roomettes 1-10 are upstairs, and are numbered from the middle of the car with the odd number rooms on the same side as the upstairs bathroom. Bedrooms are upstairs, with Bedrooms going from E to A starting in the middle of the car. (Roomettes 11-14 are downstairs, along with the Family Room, H-Room, 3 bathrooms and the shower.)

Since the sleeper can be put on the train in either direction, there is no way to chose "the left side" or "the right side" - you won't know until you board. In fact, on one trip I took last year, one sleeper had roomettes first and the other sleeper had bedrooms first!

:cool: Thanks, all

Questions answered. We had BDR #E...which I'll change to # D ( don't want to be THAT close to the stairways and the coffee station.

On a continuing train , we had economy rooms #7&8....I tought they were indeed towards the end ( or beginning) of the car....changing that to #3&4 , ''mid-ship'' but far enough away from the stairways & bathroom.

This takes place mid-May: HOS-LAX on #1 and LAX-SEA on #14 on which we're doing ''2 roomettes'' instead of one bedroom...One of the two will be '' oceanview'' for day #1.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Smooth rails...

Claude

;)

:We had BDR #E...which I'll change to # D ( don't want to be THAT close to the stairways and the coffee station.
IMHO (and many others do also), Bedroom E is the BEST bedroom in the whole car! :cool: If I had a choice, I would take Bedroom E! (BTW, I rate Bedroom A to be the worst!)
Coming from you, SIR, that's gospel :lol: !!! I'll keep #E .....if DW complains about the noise from people getting up the stairs, I'll blame you !!! :rolleyes: ;)

Incidentally, is it strictly location you like about #E , or are there other considerations such as particular layout, downstair noise( or lack of ), window shape, etec.etc..??

Thanks for your input

Cheers

Claude

:We had BDR #E...which I'll change to # D ( don't want to be THAT close to the stairways and the coffee station.
IMHO (and many others do also), Bedroom E is the BEST bedroom in the whole car! :cool: If I had a choice, I would take Bedroom E! (BTW, I rate Bedroom A to be the worst!)
Agreed, we had E on 2 trains last year, not a problem at all, and only 1 neighbor.

Coming from you, SIR, that's gospel :lol: !!! I'll keep #E .....if DW complains about the noise from people getting up the stairs, I'll blame you !!! :rolleyes: ;) Incidentally, is it strictly location you like about #E , or are there other considerations such as particular layout, downstair noise( or lack of ), window shape, etec.etc..??
Thank you - you may kiss my ring! (Holds out arm!) :lol:

Personally, I do not find any noise problems with E - either from the stairs or the hallway. I like it for being near the stairs, coffee, only 1 neighbor and upstairs bathroom. And being in the center of the car, the ride is smoother! (Actually any Bedroom B-E is good, but E is best!)

If DW complains, send my on a trip for my "punishment"! :lol: :lol:

Here is a diagram of the sleepers.

Coming from you, SIR, that's gospel :lol: !!! I'll keep #E .....if DW complains about the noise from people getting up the stairs, I'll blame you !!! :rolleyes: ;) Incidentally, is it strictly location you like about #E , or are there other considerations such as particular layout, downstair noise( or lack of ), window shape, etec.etc..??
Thank you - you may kiss my ring! (Holds out arm!) :lol:

Personally, I do not find any noise problems with E - either from the stairs or the hallway. I like it for being near the stairs, coffee, only 1 neighbor and upstairs bathroom. And being in the center of the car, the ride is smoother! (Actually any Bedroom B-E is good, but E is best!)

If DW complains, send my on a trip for my "punishment"! :lol: :lol:

Here is a diagram of the sleepers.
We also found that Bedroom "E" is our favorite for the same reasons. We have had "D" too but still like "E"-seems to be a bit bigger. Noise was not a problem, even though our sleepers were full & close to the diner. We have also had Roomette #4 & #5-prefer Bedrooms over the Roomettes anytime.

And as punishment, I'd take a train ride in a Bedroom-but not share with traveler-he can be next door!! :cool:

Questions answered. We had BDR #E...which I'll change to # D ( don't want to be THAT close to the stairways and the coffee station.

On a continuing train , we had economy rooms #7&8....I tought they were indeed towards the end ( or beginning) of the car....changing that to #3&4 , ''mid-ship'' but far enough away from the stairways & bathroom.

This takes place mid-May: HOS-LAX on #1 and LAX-SEA on #14 on which we're doing ''2 roomettes'' instead of one bedroom...One of the two will be '' oceanview'' for day #1.

Cheers

Smooth rails...

Claude

;)
Claude,

Just be aware that changing rooms can result in price increases. A bad agent won't tell you that until it's already too late, a good agent will first warn you, and a very good agent will juggle the prices for you. So be careful if you decide to call for changes.

Cheers

Smooth rails...

Claude

;)
Claude,

Just be aware that changing rooms can result in price increases. A bad agent won't tell you that until it's already too late, a good agent will first warn you, and a very good agent will juggle the prices for you. So be careful if you decide to call for changes.
Thanks,Alan

I'm a T.A. so I will go in online 1st to see what the difference is between what I've paid on original booking and what it shows now, BEFORE I attempt to effect a change and be nailed with anything more than the actual price difference ( if any ) and I'll be ''prepared'' to try and weed out the difference.

I also will keep #E on SL as you folks have convinved me it's still the best room in the house....

I'll just move #7-8 on CS to #3-4 ( if THEIR rates have jumped way up, thenI'll just swing for a BDR....( unless THOSE have also jumped sky high....)

Cheers

Claude

I prefer B just because 90% of the time the couch is facing in the direction of travel.

That said however, in B one can hear the vacuum system every time it kicks on. You don't hear it so much in A.

Back