Same Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the #4 Chief that leaves L.A. at 10pm the very same train that arrived as #3 at 8:30 that morning?
I believe so, yes, but probably someone else here knows for certain.

If I am not mistaken, the Southwest Chief uses five sets of equipment. A same day turn in Chicago isn't possible, so the only way to run with five sets is to make a same day turn in Los Angeles.

Yes it does.....I didn't mean to say 10pm.....have ridden both Eagle and Chief many times and do know departure times. Have just never thought about whether the same Chief turned around the same day.

my mind has lost
Don't you mean lost your mind? :huh: :p
Yes, in LA the outgoing SWC and SL in the evening are those that arrived that morning, and the outgoing CS is the same set that arrived the previous night. The only normal change may be the PPC on the CS. The 5th PPC is kept in LA. There's some extra cars kept in LA for protection, but the sets normally stay together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another question along the same line. Is the entire set configuaration likely to stay the same as it is "wyed" to the other direction? In other words, if one was to take the Chief round trip the same day and had the same roomette number, would she be seeing scenery on the opposite side as when she came in on the #3?

Here's another question along the same line. Is the entire set configuaration likely to stay the same as it is "wyed" to the other direction? In other words, if one was to take the Chief round trip the same day and had the same roomette number, would she be seeing scenery on the opposite side as when she came in on the #3?
Ordinarily, yes. However, the coach yard may swap in another car because something was bad ordered, or it may need to undergo inspection. If that is the case, there is no guarantee how the replacement car is oriented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back