SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Amtrak Life, it ain't a good Life, but it's my Life.." (apologies to Willie Nelson)

I'd venture that most of us wouldn't want to make a career out of being an Amtrak OBS or T&E Employee, and while the pay is a Living Wage and the Benefits are better than average, they're not that great, actually below the Averages for Government Employees! ( and they earn every cent!)

Railroading is a tough Life!
OBS is treated fairly badly in my opinion. I couldn't go thru what they go thru. T&E is the place to be. The pay for T&E employees is very good on the NEC. After five years T&E road employees can make over six figures because there is going to be overtime. That's for the Conductors and AC's. Engineers do even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit torn on this when on the train. I did tip some but not as often as some do. I tipped at about half of the meals--mainly I forgot since I didn't bring my wallet out to pay. Did tip the SCA although it was just for being friendly. I set the beds up and put them down each day just because it wasn't difficult and I didn't have to ask anyone that way. I am not sure the fact that the folks in the dining room sleep on a train and may be gone for 6 days at a time is much of a factor to me. Someone at a regular restaurant may be sleeping in less than ideal circumstances because their pay, even with tips, is so low. Tipping minimum wage workers may make a difference in whether they can pay the rent or eat that month so it's a bit easier to be generous. Amtrak folks do provide good service (mostly), service that is normally tipped but also service that is also normally very poorly paid. Next trip I may just tip if the service is really good, rather than how I might do at a restaurant where the folks are poorly paid. I'd tip them something unless the service was terrible, and I have never had that bad of service yet. Anyway, still a bit torn on this.

While standing at attention...........just curious and answer at your discretion, if you were the most senior LSA what job would you bid?
That's a tough one. I'm in a tough position where I have car or license, since I never needed one before I worked here. Now that I have a need, I have no time to get road experience and get a license, since I can't convince myself to talk time off to do it.

That being said, if I had a license? An Acela cafe job, in Boston. 2151/2153/2155, which return as 2168/2170/2172 same day. Still a 17 hour day, but on one week you work Monday/Wednesday/Friday, next week you work Tuesday/Thursday. All weekends are a long weekend, and you get most major holidays off since they're a weekend schedule, so NY or DC covers weekends.

Without a license, and living an hour from the city like I do? Hard to say. Probably 173/172, because I would get two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off. Would be able to commute using public transit easily as well.

If we're taking jobs we use to have in Boston but were taken away? We use to work 2175 to NY, and layover night, then work 2190 back then have the next day off. Don't know much more about that job, since it was before my time.

All that being said, I am one of few that look forward to working 67 because of the entertainment of crazy/drunk passengers, and awesome crews that work it. But it's tough on your body. All this is why this is a mix of some high seniority and some of the lowest, in Boston. 179 is another job like that. It's usually real low seniority because of how tiring it is due to the timing of the trains we work 179/151 or 131/190 or 150. During the winter we have one person who goes from an Acela to 179 for a break from the GO GO GO life of working an Acela.
Thanks for the perspective. I've always been curious how/why OBS decide where they want to go. I can understand the "variety" that 66/67 offer. In my weekend 66/67 roundtrip a drunk guy that got on in DC thought NCR was a smoke stop and stepped off for a smoke.........hope he had fun that night in NCR. On the way back an argumentative couple got on the quiet car in NYP and it took some persuading by the Conductor to get them to move.

Thanks for the perspective. I've always been curious how/why OBS decide where they want to go. I can understand the "variety" that 66/67 offer. In my weekend 66/67 roundtrip a drunk guy that got on in DC thought NCR was a smoke stop and stepped off for a smoke.........hope he had fun that night in NCR. On the way back an argumentative couple got on the quiet car in NYP and it took some persuading by the Conductor to get them to move.
Well, every person had their own tastes. Most of the old heads go for the jobs with the most days, breaking those people down further some prefer how the motion of Regionals are easier on the body, but some like the Acelas because (unless there's a bad service disruption) you always end up back in your own bed at night. Some people like to be busy the whole trip so the whole thing likes to fly by, while some like it to generally be slower pace so they have time to make small talk with the passengers and crew (this is another reason I enjoy 67).

And I won't lie, and I won't divulge exact figures either. But, well...both 95 and 67 both go to Newport News of course, and I should make easily 3x the gratuities on 95. So if you need extra cash to support a partner who may not be able to work, to pay for college for your kids, save up for a vacation, or whatever other reason, then they may choose to work busier trains based on that. I've got one good friend who's mother is disabled and had lots of medical issues, and he's the only one bringing in serious money in to the house, and he works a terrible job that we have, just because the tips help him out tremendously.

So in short, again, everybody has their own tastes and preferences. Some jobs work the same days every week, some are on a rotating schedule. So those with seniority generally take jobs with weekends guaranteed off, or that at least rotate to have them off frequently.

Foreigners like me understand 'when in Rome, do as the Romans.'

I am travelling on #14 Coast Starlight (northbound), so my first meal if the train is not hours late will be lunch in the diner. Is it a good strategy to tip US$3 for that meal and then US$4 or US$5 for the evening meal, and perhaps nothing at breakfast?

I am not used to tipping (hailing from Australia) and conscious that Amtrak employees are not on US$2.50 an hour or whatever like many waiters and waitresses in restaurants and bars in the USA, so shat is a fair compromise?

If I decline to tip will the next meal have a hair in it, or be served stone cold if it's meant to be hot? Or will staff typically be very assertive, or even aggressive, because they're sick of not receiving any tips from strangely-accented foreigners?

I am travelling on #14 Coast Starlight (northbound), so my first meal if the train is not hours late will be lunch in the diner. Is it a good strategy to tip US$3 for that meal and then US$4 or US$5 for the evening meal, and perhaps nothing at breakfast?

I am not used to tipping (hailing from Australia) and conscious that Amtrak employees are not on US$2.50 an hour or whatever like many waiters and waitresses in restaurants and bars in the USA, so shat is a fair compromise?

If I decline to tip will the next meal have a hair in it, or be served stone cold if it's meant to be hot? Or will staff typically be very assertive, or even aggressive, because they're sick of not receiving any tips from strangely-accented foreigners?
I doubt there will be a hair in your meal or that it will be served cold. But the service might be poor. It is never a good strategy not to tip someone who will serve you again.

If you are strangely accented foreigners, servers who have experience serving foreigners are probably going to have low expectations. Stereotypes are common that Australians and Brits are cheap. I am not talking about Amtrak employees, servers in general in the US who work at restaurants that tourists frequent. Many Americans have not traveled abroad and they don't know that the tipping culture we have does not exist in Australia or Europe so they think certain nationalities are cheapskates. They don't understand you don't have the tipping culture. So even if you plan to tip they might give you poor service because they think you won't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no law or regulation in the USA that requires tipping.

Amtrak in their literature states "tipping is not required". You may tip if you want to do so.

Tipping is 100% voluntary.

Many posters on this forum give out their personal tipping habits as if they are the authority on tipping edicate or guidelines.

Tipping apparently can give a feeling of euphoria to the brain or a headache, depending on one's economic situation.

Do not be intimidated by others into believing you will have your meal or service compromised. That would certainly be cause for reporting towards dismissal.

I met an Australian on "holiday" for 30 days travelling the USA by train. He was dismayed by the fact he had spent over $200 US on tipping because it was "required". He informed me that he read that on the internet.

There is no law or regulation in the USA that requires tipping.
That is true it is not required but restaurant servers and taxi drivers in the USA expect tips. They expect it strongly. If you believe that service may not be compromised if they expect you won't tip I guess I could sell you a bridge in Brooklyn. I would like to think the meal itself would not be compromised but I have heard stories......a lot of people I know have had to work as waiters or waitresses sometime in their life.

Etiquette, guidlines and customs of a locale do not change in the near term, because we agree or disagree with them. I don't actually see a correlation between ones economic situation and their feelings about tipping. There are many reasons people like or don't like tipping, but absence of a requirement shouldn't be one of them. There are so many things that should be done as a part of being a decent person, like holding the door for someone, giving up a seat to someone who needs it (where not required), helping someone with a package, and even things like saying please and thank you. Nobody should feel obligated to do something that is strictly voluntary, but some people seem proud of the fact that that they don't, for no other reason than they don't have to. The world might be a better place if more people did things that they didn't have to do, going well beyond tipping.

Absolutely. Let me explain what I mean, I think it loses a little in the written form. Very often, people of modest means are more aware of the concept of sharing what they have with others than people who have a great deal. There are people who can afford to give little or nothing, it is not a reflection of their beliefs. There are wealthy people who throw money around to make themselves look good, again it does not reflect what they believe about tipping, it is about image. I think we are products of our upbringings, backgrounds, life experiences, and sometimes religious or moral beliefs. And I don't always think that divides across wealth. Think the story of the Woman and her 2 coins from Mark:12.

Due to an illness I have had to use Uber a lot for local trips. The drivers have been 90pct courteous and friendly. The cars immaculate. Some even offer snacks and water. They don't make a lot of money and use their own cars. In general the service is infinitely better than taxis and better than Amtrak. My point...tipping is not expected but out of habit if I have a good ride I hand the driver a couple bucks. You know what....a majority refuse to take it and say it's not necessary. Show me an Amtrak worker who does this and I'll show you the Easter Bunny

Doing my best Captain Obvious impression, the subject of tipping on Amtrak is a wee bit contentious. ;) One one side you have some who don't tip and who seem smug and proud about it saying it is not required and Amtrak employees are well paid. And on and on. And there are some who tip and chide those who don't as being cheap. And are smug about that. And on and on. If we were to take the smugness out of the equation the subject likely wouldn't be so contentious.

I tip because I want to and I want to show them appreciation for a job well done. And if their service is poor, no tip. The only advice I'd give on tipping is when someone asks how much to tip. In that case I tell them what I do and tell them to use their own judgment.

Bottom line for me on the subject of tipping is the advice Chuck Berry gave on his live version of "My Ding-a-ling": "This is a free country. Live like you want to live!" :lol:

When the DC server has done a good job, and especially when they go out of their way to be helpful and courteous, I leave a nice tip. Most of the time, I do fine that that first server then tries to get me put into their section. I find them offering or suggesting things to make my trip more enjoyable. Like a coffee to when we were heading to the SSL, or a dessert to have in our room, when we didn't want it with the meal. Bottom line, yes they should offer the same service whether one tips or not, but in reality, the servers are human, therefore taking better care of the tipper is natural for them. People are very focused on their pay, especially when the bills exceed the monthly income.

Let me attack this from a different angle. Most of y'all are aware that last Summer I started driving for Uber because it's fun as I'll get out. Restores a bit of sanity to my home and professional life.

Tipping has been a contentious point between Uber drivers and passengers from the beginning - and it's because Uber's CEO, Travis Kalanick, wanted to provide a seamless transaction. But Uber provided an interface with Taxis (UberTaxi) in which case the cabbies expected a tip or else they wouldn't play with Uber. So they created a method by which riders could pay their UberTaxi (ONLY) drivers a preset tip amount. Then came the slogan, "Tips are included". Folks were synonomizing the UberTaxi policy with the low rate UberX policy, "Tipping isn't necessary". Drivers were told that it was wrong to solicit tips. When Uber started, rates were pretty decent. But in a bid for global domination (seriously - not metaphorically), they slashed rates by as much as 50% in most markets. Where tipping wasn't necessary before, it has since become very much an important part of the compensation for the driver. We're getting paid less than a third of taxi operators, but with nearly the same costs borne on ourselves.

I'm not talking about this to complain. I understand Uber's policy when we started, I understand it now. I also am very happy that Lyft came to my market and I have slowly been working towards driving Lyft more because there is an option for the passenger to tip.

"Tipping isn't necessary". That's the mantra for almost all business operations, whether you're an Uber driver, LSA, SCA, or a $3/hr restaurant worker. But the point is really all about service.

Provide a service that people enjoy and you will be rewarded with a "gratuity". Don't perform, don't expect any bonus pay. Gratuities should be completely irrespective of your base wage. It's a "thank you" for a job well done. It's an appreciation for working hard for the betterment of others.

But asking for it is, if nothing else at all, unprofessional.

All in all - between the generous and the cheapskates - it's a part of our culture, and pretty unique in its application to this country. If, when all is said and done, the total compensation isn't worthwhile, there are other opportunities for employment.

Uber has found itself in court in some locales regarding the legality of their app, in some situations it was alleged to be keeping part of the money that should go to the drivers when they reduced fares. They also walk a fine line between the employer/employee relationship, and the independent contractor relationship, but that is really not an appropriate discussion to get wrapped up in on this board.

When the DC server has done a good job, and especially when they go out of their way to be helpful and courteous, I leave a nice tip. Most of the time, I do fine that that first server then tries to get me put into their section. I find them offering or suggesting things to make my trip more enjoyable. Like a coffee to when we were heading to the SSL, or a dessert to have in our room, when we didn't want it with the meal. Bottom line, yes they should offer the same service whether one tips or not, but in reality, the servers are human, therefore taking better care of the tipper is natural for them. People are very focused on their pay, especially when the bills exceed the monthly income.
This is great when it happens... but on Amtrak I've left tips a couple meals in a row and then was never offered any refills, any dessert (to go or at the table.. just completely ignored).. etc. After that, I stop tipping altogether.

This is great when it happens... but on Amtrak I've left tips a couple meals in a row and then was never offered any refills, any dessert (to go or at the table.. just completely ignored).. etc. After that, I stop tipping altogether.
Yes. Lately the Dining staff has been extraordinarily underwhelming.

At one Las Vegas restaurant I saw a placard with the bill that explained tipping for dummies, which may have been designed for foreign travelers but offended one of the members of my party. So it's a no win situation to "explain" tipping sometimes.

Some Japanese restaurants advertise against tipping, noting that their servers are well compensated. For them, it's about the culture that they are trying to represent. Though as a lone wolf, I'm sure it's frustrating for patrons.

Unless... They are all tourists from Japan. :)

Thank you to everyone for such great explanations of a contentious subject.

As a new member from overseas, I am very impressed with the standard of courtesy on this forum and the speed with which questions are answered. Y'll take a bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back