SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

I just kind of pointed to where I've already left the tip... still.. is it just me or is that just as bad as restaurant waiters asking for tips after the meal?

Depends on how they phrase it. I have had SCA's say" tipping is allowed for on board staff" during their welcome aboard spiel,which IMHO is OK, but if they said "don't forget my tip" that would be over the line , for me.

Amtrak literature makes it clear that tipping is not required . Do a search and "Julie" will also confirm this statement. I consider employee actions that suggest tipping is expected of the customer, to be in violation of Amtrak's stated policy. That person needs to be retrained.

Reminds me of tour bus operator's or guides, that leave a tip basket on the dash, and "salt it", by leaving some money in it beforehand.... :)

Rather than speculate on the rules, let's actually see what they are...

The Blue Book is silent on tips for Train Attendants. It does have this to say about service attendants:

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1469990316.083051.jpg

Reminds me of tour bus operator's or guides, that leave a tip basket on the dash, and "salt it", by leaving some money in it beforehand.... :)
I remember some sitcom where someone does that to try and help out a kid playing music for tips. Once they turn around they find all the money has been swiped.
I doubt there's any rule that says they can't ask for tips, although how they do it would be important. Most people who work for tips are subtle about it, like "tips are greatly appreciated" vs "I expect to be tipped". I've been on tours where the guide would take a lot of time mentioning how little he gets in salary and how tips would help. One tour boat captain/guide noted that he was allowed to accept tips, but didn't flat out request them.

If the SCA does something for you, for which a tip is usually made, and you don't tip, I think a well worded comment that points out that a good way to express your thanks is with a tip, is appropriate.

Ryan, thanks for posting some of the "Amtrak literature" I was referring to .

Ask Julie on the search function and this appears;

"there is no requirement to tip"

"recognition for providing superior service", can be a smile, a "Thank you !", and a firm handshake.

I don't imagine that it's appropriate for me to post videos of my two encounters with the SCAs who very specifically asked for tips?

One held out his hand and didn't say anything about tips, but it was pretty clear. (like a hotel bellboy)

The other one, a nice lady, can be heard on the video saying "people usually leave around $10 in tips for me per room per night so don't tip me more than that...." (not sure if she was kidding... if so, I guess she wasn't actually actually "asking" for tips?)

My SO was shooting videos of the sleeping car as we were leaving the train. The attendants were next to me. They knew they were on video, unless they don't know what a GoPro camera was? :(

I was on a small cruise ship back in 2007 and they had a strict no-tipping-policy. The crew even told me that they got paid plenty, so they wouldn't accept tips on the ship. Out of habit, I left a $100 on the nightstand on the last day of the 7-day cruise. As we were sitting outside the cruise terminal waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick us up, our cabin attendant walked up to us and handed the $100 back. She said that wasn't necessary. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone "asking" for a tip from me is going to get told to never eat yellow snow and any tip I was about to leave for good service would remain in my pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely will NOT tip anyone who asks for a tip including those who have their hand out expecting one. My experience is that if they are asking for a tip generally they have not done anything to expect a tip. The tip isn't just for doing the basic job, it is for the extras, it is for caring and helping, it is for making the trip special, going beyond the basic job description.

I totally agree! :angry:

I once had an SCA on the EB come by my room as we left CHI to introduce himself. The next time I saw him was 2 1/2 days later outside the car door in PDX - waiting for his tip!

I have heard the tipping is not required but it is appreciated for a job well done spiel before. I don't have a problem with that. Many people do not usually ride trains. I have started to see more and more people zero tipping dining car servers, though, which is a concern. Sometimes they are performing mediocre jobs, but even so I will leave $1 or $2 per person on the table.

I totally agree! :angry:

I once had an SCA on the EB come by my room as we left CHI to introduce himself. The next time I saw him was 2 1/2 days later outside the car door in PDX - waiting for his tip!
I've had that happen a time or 2 and it is amazing how fast the Tipping Hand is unable to connect with the Billfold Pocket :)

I have had the AWOL SCA until arrival, never even offering baggage assistance off. BUT!! this one time on the CAP the SCA very loudly shouted at another gentleman and I when we didn't tip him and totally unloaded on the woman who tipped him a penny. As we were entering the station in DC, I suggested to these two, whom I didn't know, to find a manager. We did, she took notes, apologized, and guaranteed that the SCA would be dealt with that day. Another gentleman came up behind us, reaffirming what happened on the platform, then stated he was a legal liaison for the Engineers Union, that this SCA was an embarrassment to all of Amtrak's unions, that he was personally calling OBS union to report the incident. I thought we were upset, but this guy was livid over the treatment we received.

Somewhat off-topic, since it is a taxi rather than Amtrak, but it is tipping. I just had my first ride in a taxi where there was a payment terminal in the back seat, complete with credit card scanner. It offered four levels of tip: 20%, 25%, 30%, and other. A selection was required to move forward in the payment process. This seems analogous to a service provider requesting a tip, and I find the minimum preset to be excessive. Thoughts?

Somewhat off-topic, since it is a taxi rather than Amtrak, but it is tipping. I just had my first ride in a taxi where there was a payment terminal in the back seat, complete with credit card scanner. It offered four levels of tip: 20%, 25%, 30%, and other. A selection was required to move forward in the payment process. This seems analogous to a service provider requesting a tip, and I find the minimum preset to be excessive. Thoughts?
Sure, use other and put in 0.00%

I have had the AWOL SCA until arrival, never even offering baggage assistance off. BUT!! this one time on the CAP the SCA very loudly shouted at another gentleman and I when we didn't tip him and totally unloaded on the woman who tipped him a penny. As we were entering the station in DC, I suggested to these two, whom I didn't know, to find a manager. We did, she took notes, apologized, and guaranteed that the SCA would be dealt with that day. Another gentleman came up behind us, reaffirming what happened on the platform, then stated he was a legal liaison for the Engineers Union, that this SCA was an embarrassment to all of Amtrak's unions, that he was personally calling OBS union to report the incident. I thought we were upset, but this guy was livid over the treatment we received.
Impressive. And good.

And honestly, if an SCA demanded or even really hinted at a tip not only would I refuse, I'd report them.

(on the flip side, I have more than once made a point of contacting Amtrak to give PRAISE for a specific SCA. I figure they should get credit too.)

And honestly, $10/night? If they've got a full viewliner, that's $270/night (on top of their regular pay). That wouldn't be too shabby.

I was on a small cruise ship back in 2007 and they had a strict no-tipping-policy. The crew even told me that they got paid plenty, so they wouldn't accept tips on the ship. Out of habit, I left a $100 on the nightstand on the last day of the 7-day cruise. As we were sitting outside the cruise terminal waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick us up, our cabin attendant walked up to us and handed the $100 back. She said that wasn't necessary. :)
Wow, that's amazing!

Just curious...can you tell us which cruise line that was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back