SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost always fail to bring enough one dollar bills to tip the dining car staff at each meal on a long-distance trip. I generally leave $3 at each meal, if service is good. I know that would be a low tip for a regular restaurant, but like others have said, they make better money than the average wait staff.

I *personally* like to show my appreciation this way. I also *don't* expect everyone else to follow my example. In fact, for that last meal on the train after I've run out of cash for tipping, I hope there's not someone across the table considering me rude and selfish.

One of these years I'll actually bring enough ones on-board. But since tipping isn't required, I'm glad it's not a point of stress if I don't, and I hope it remains that way.

All Amtrak needs to do is hire someone from the Alaska Ferry service. On the ferries there was a sign in the dining room stating that all onboard workers were state employees and were prohibited from accepting tips and that all tips would be turned over to the state.

Their service was consistently better than that of Amtrak and their bathrooms were always clean. That also was true for the cabin attendants!

I've been to a few places around the world. I remember being at a restaurant where the owner spoke fluent English. She made it a point to tell me that she paid all her servers well and that tipping would not be acceptable.
I lived in southern Germany for 2.5 years. At most small coffee shops and restaurants, people still tipped... usually a couple of DMs or even 5DM. (this was before the coversion to euros) It always seemed amusing to me because Germany was supposed to be a tipping-free country at the time.

All Amtrak needs to do is hire someone from the Alaska Ferry service. On the ferries there was a sign in the dining room stating that all onboard workers were state employees and were prohibited from accepting tips and that all tips would be turned over to the state.

Their service was consistently better than that of Amtrak and their bathrooms were always clean. That also was true for the cabin attendants!
I've met and chatted with more than a few Amtrak employees who insisted that they were de facto Federal government employees, like postal workers.

Guess there was no point in telling them that they couldn't be more wrong?

Were the guys in just trunks? If so, I see no problem. I hate double standards.
there were no guys... it was the cheerleaders doing the car wash fundraiser for their trip to Cancun.(which was in itself a questionable choice of destination for high school trips)

I have no more right or no less right to my opinions than any one else. As long as they are presented as opinions and not facts I don't see the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've met and chatted with more than a few Amtrak employees who insisted that they were de facto Federal government employees, like postal workers.

Guess there was no point in telling them that they couldn't be more wrong?
Amtrak is legally established as a railroad. There aren't specific government protections for their workers. I think the only exception is Amtrak Police, which kind of straddles the line between railroad police (with most states having special status as private law enforcement with public law enforcement powers) and federal law enforcement. Their sworn officers go through federal law enforcement training the same as federal agencies like the Capitol Police or the National Park Service.

The USPS is legally a government agency.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/39/101

(a) The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities. The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people.

I agree, Amtrak employees should definitely NOT wear skimpy bikinis while soliciting donations outside of grocery stores....er....what was this thread about again?

I have no more right or no less right to my opinions than any one else. As long as they are presented as opinions and not facts I don't see the problem.
The problem was that you labeled non-tippers as "cheap or selfish" even though Amtrak says "tipping isn't required". That is a fact. Please read your own posts above and consider the effect your derogatory words have on the riders following Amtrak's policy that states "tipping is not required" .

Tipping is never required, nor should it be. Rude servers or pushy service folks should not be tipped. I do believe that just because it isn't required doesn't mean it isn't appropriate. My personal belief is that many people( certainly not all) who do not tip use the fact that it isn't required as an excuse to not leave a tip.In my mind that is cheap. Sorry if it offends, it is just a statement of my feelings.

I agree, Amtrak employees should definitely NOT wear skimpy bikinis while soliciting donations outside of grocery stores....er....what was this thread about again?
Over the years, some of my Amtrak customers tipped me; others did not. I appreciated the tips, but never lost any sleep over it, one way or the other. I have a feeling a skimpy bikini wouldn't have induced the non tippers to tip. Never thought about trying that & don't really regret not having done so. My loss, I guess. :(

Tom

Tipping is never required, nor should it be. Rude servers or pushy service folks should not be tipped. I do believe that just because it isn't required doesn't mean it isn't appropriate. My personal belief is that many people( certainly not all) who do not tip use the fact that it isn't required as an excuse to not leave a tip.In my mind that is cheap. Sorry if it offends, it is just a statement of my feelings.
This is the most confusing and contradicting statement I have ever seen about tipping. You agree that" tipping is never required,nor should it be", then say that people use that as an "excuse to not leave a tip". Think about that !

I accept your apology.

You believe that tradition from the old railroad days of low paid Porters, still applies.
You have no idea what those of us that tip believe. I know damn well what Amtrak workers are paid. I'm well informed of what Amtrak's policy is on the matter.

Yet somehow, I still tip for service that warrants it, because I was raised to be a decent person that was taught to show my appreciation for a personal service well delivered by leaving a little extra behind.

You have no right to influence (brainwash) your fellow riders into doing as you do. [/background][/size]
Yet you've got the right to browbeat anyone that posts in favor of tipping? Physician, heal thyself. You phony apology for us "misinforming" people is completely unnecessary.

Let me try to clarify what I am trying to say.Tipping should not be mandatory because there are very good reasons that some people should not receive a tip.There are also some people who just can't afford it either. That being said, I believe that there are people who think that because something is not required, that is a good reason not to do something that is reasonable and customary. This extends to many aspects of life besides travel and meal service. My opinion of people who go out of their way to avoid tipping, because they can, has not changed. Not my intent to specifically insult an individual, but if someone takes umbrage with my beliefs, it doesn't change how I feel.

Let me try to clarify what I am trying to say.Tipping should not be mandatory because there are very good reasons that some people should not receive a tip.There are also some people who just can't afford it either. That being said, I believe that there are people who think that because something is not required, that is a good reason not to do something that is reasonable and customary. This extends to many aspects of life besides travel and meal service. My opinion of people who go out of their way to avoid tipping, because they can, has not changed. Not my intent to specifically insult an individual, but if someone takes umbrage with my beliefs, it doesn't change how I feel.
I don't really think you've clarified much of anything except that your opinion is your opinion and that's good enough for you. Others disagree and that's good enough for them. So I can't imagine there's any reason to explain yourself further unless it helps your conscience.

Tipping is not required Soliciting tips is not permitted. Sometimes it's appropriate. Sometimes it's not. End of story. Do what you want, but I'm tired of hearing your rationale.

Sheesh!

Tom

You believe that tradition from the old railroad days of low paid Porters, still applies.
You have no idea what those of us that tip believe. I know damn well what Amtrak workers are paid. I'm well informed of what Amtrak's policy is on the matter.

Yet somehow, I still tip for service that warrants it, because I was raised to be a decent person that was taught to show my appreciation for a personal service well delivered by leaving a little extra behind.

You have no right to influence (brainwash) your fellow riders into doing as you do. [/background][/size]
Yet you've got the right to browbeat anyone that posts in favor of tipping? Physician, heal thyself. You phony apology for us "misinforming" people is completely unnecessary.
Ryan, please reread my posts. I repeatedly said you can tip away as much as you want. I never said people should not tip. I in fact tip for exemplorary service. My beef is with those people that call those riders who don't tip "cheap or selfish" as PVD did. PVD apologized for offending those riders after I spoke up about his derogatory comments. I appreciated and accepted his apology. PVD has been quite civil in his reply. I am speaking up for those who feel "browbeaten" by the posters on this forum that think they are the authority on tipping instead of abiding by Amtrak's own tipping policy, which I referenced. I have never injected my own tipping habits into this discussion.

I addressed my prior replies to PVD. I did not name you as a derogatory poster ,yet you feel I was talking about you. That is very interesting !

Well, when I splurge and go to an expensive restaurant, I realize the maitre'd and probably even the server makes a lot more than I do. But I don't try to figure out if he's well-paid or has a health benefit, retirement plan, etc. I tip 15-20%. But most people that work for tips know that some just won't (or can't) and unless the customer is the "demanding" type, just let it go.

Food service tipping is a lot different than at Amtrak. I used to manage a chain restaurant where the corporation paid the servers minimum wage but then deducted 50% of their pay as a tip credit, thus base was half minimum wage covering taxes and benefits, therefore the servers were dependent on working for tips. The good servers made good money. In the evenings if they wanted a bus person working their tables they had to share some of their tip money, but a good bus person raised the average tips and turned the tables more frequently. The cooks always received 10% of what the servers received in tips. Now the Amtrak DC servers are making more than minimum wage and there is no tip credit taken from them, so yes they are making much more to start, but their environment is much different, limited hours, moving and swaying car, limited and degrading menu,

In an ideal world, everyone would be paid properly for the job so there would not be the reliance on tipping, thus no one would need to tip, its included in the price you pay.

Food service tipping is a lot different than at Amtrak. I used to manage a chain restaurant where the corporation paid the servers minimum wage but then deducted 50% of their pay as a tip credit, thus base was half minimum wage covering taxes and benefits, therefore the servers were dependent on working for tips. The good servers made good money. In the evenings if they wanted a bus person working their tables they had to share some of their tip money, but a good bus person raised the average tips and turned the tables more frequently. The cooks always received 10% of what the servers received in tips. Now the Amtrak DC servers are making more than minimum wage and there is no tip credit taken from them, so yes they are making much more to start, but their environment is much different, limited hours, moving and swaying car, limited and degrading menu,

In an ideal world, everyone would be paid properly for the job so there would not be the reliance on tipping, thus no one would need to tip, its included in the price you pay.
I have never worked a dining car, and never will unless one comes to Boston on 67/66 or something. That being said, I have been told that service attendants in the dining car are taxed extra based on the total sales of the dining car, to account for being taxed for what Amtrak figures they made in sales. I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not, and I have a feeling Tom would have mentioned this if it were true on Auto Train at least.

I was trying to stay out of this thread, but for what it's worth...when I road 449/49 from BOS-ALB-CHI, I felt bad when both of my table mates left nothing on the table when their experience seems to have been a pleasant one in the diner, and they were both traveling in the sleepers so the meals were "free".

I obviously know what the attendants make in tips, wages, and benefits, but I also know how rough the job is. Being away from home for days, working/serving on a moving train, the lack of sleep in between shifts onboard or sometimes at the layover point if the train is late. Know all that, I left a $10 to cover for the table, and personally thanked them (although my steak was initially undercooked, I had a great first experience in the diner, and the crew was extremely friendly.)

What it all boils down to is this... Tip if you can afford to and it's warranted, don't if if you can't afford to or if it's not warranted. If you can't afford to or you don't want to, at least thank your attendant.

I have always been a firm believer that I make decent enough wages that tips should not be expected, although they are certainly nice. But I have had many passengers who don't tip, don't say hello/good bye (I greet every single passenger who comes up to my counter, mind you), nor do they even say thank you either. That is what really grinds my gears (sorry for the Family Guy reference!)

To be clear, Amtrak OBS personnel are expected to report tips. Whether they do or not, Amtrak DOES presume that tips have been received, and reports the projected tips to IRS, based on dining car revenues, which includes the questionable revenues from sleeping car passengers who do not pay directly out of pocket. Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but I thought it was known.

Tom

To be clear, Amtrak OBS personnel are expected to report tips. Whether they do or not, Amtrak DOES presume that tips have been received, and reports the projected tips to IRS, based on dining car revenues, which includes the questionable revenues from sleeping car passengers who do not pay directly out of pocket. Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but I thought it was known.

Tom
It should be noted that presuming that employees in certain job categories receive tips and reporting that projected income is required by the IRS. Don't blame Amtrak. They are only complying with the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back