"School Boy Special" for 2005

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AmtrakWPK said:
When should it be coming through the Orlando corridor NB?
For today it should have went through there somewhere around 16:15-16:30 or so. It seemed as if it were a little later than I have noticed it in the past. But that may just be first day blues! There was some freight traffic in the mix today, so that may have caused some delay to him. They were pretty much in #PO98's slot today as they were ahead of them being they left sooner. I saw it up around Seville, FL (about 25min north of DLD) today about 18:00.

So I would say for ORL area next week, it would be between 15:00-17:00 or so coming northbound. I do however, recall it was operating as #P957-13. OBS....

battalion51 said:
Did anyone hear whether it's coming south through Florida on Sunday or Monday. I never heard from anyone in JAX about it.
Me niether, but the dates they gave me were for a four (4) day trip (Thurs-Sun). But I remember it as you do, bat51. It left WAS on Sun and came back into FL on Mon PM into South FL.

PRR 60 said:
Amtrak OBS Employee said:
I'm on it on its second or third trip, so it will be a new deal for me, but I am looking forward to it. OBS... :D
Looking forward to working a train full of kids? You're braver than I am!
Kids don't bother me. This train is generous in the chaperone dept, so they will have plenty of supervision. And of course I just plain don't mind kids being kids! I just think it will be nice to work a train where we don't have to board and detrain passengers at all these stops. We will stop only for crew changes, fuel, and box meals for the kids (and probably freight trains and other reasons as well.......LOL).

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Kids don't bother me. This train is generous in the chaperone dept, so they will have plenty of supervision. And of course I just plain don't mind kids being kids!
Aloha

Mahalo fo understanding "kids", some will be better because of your caring.

battalion51 said:
Did anyone hear whether it's coming south through Florida on Sunday or Monday. I never heard from anyone in JAX about it.
bat51, just got off phone discussing details about my trip (when to report, etc.) with my supervisor. Gotta cordinate everything with my regular job so I don't miss my next regular out after return on "School Boy."

Anyway, the dates I provide are off by one day as far as the day the train returns to South FL. As usual with every year, Sun IS the departure day out of WAS with a return to South FL on Mon PM. So finally got an answer for ya!! :lol:

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it. Now I just need to make sure I finish my tech work at school Monday fast enough that I can get down to shoot the train.

Saw today's northbound special go past today at the A783.0 MP, which is about 4 miles north of WPK. 2 ponies and 20 cars, ending with a superliner transition sleeper, which was a little wierd. 88 axles, verified by the Longwood DD a few minutes later. OLD coaches, most of them, and two diners. The really strange thing was that it was northbound, but the train number was P959, rather than the even-number that it should have been. Wonder what happened there. Also, can that superliner actually make it all the way to D.C. (i.e. low overpasses)? Or are they going to drop it off in Va somewhere?

AmtrakWPK said:
Also, can that superliner actually make it all the way to D.C. (i.e. low overpasses)? Or are they going to drop it off in Va somewhere?
AFAIK, Superliners will fit through the tunnels south of WUS. They can't however fit through the Baltimore tunnels or the NY tunnels.

The Superliners will indeed fit into WAS. This is what enabled the Cardinal to run for years as a Superliner train into WAS, and obviously the rest of the route can handle Superliners since Auto Train runs most of the route. There actually was talk a few years back before the Superliner shortage of cutting all Silver Service back to WAS and running Superliner trains south to Miami. Passengers would've been forced to transfer to NEC trains in order to complete any trip north of WAS which is what led to the demise of the project. Also the new Viewliners allowed Silver Service to showcase the new equipment.

battalion51 said:
The Superliners will indeed fit into WAS. This is what enabled the Cardinal to run for years as a Superliner train into WAS, and obviously the rest of the route can handle Superliners since Auto Train runs most of the route.
How silly of me, :eek: I actually forgot that I rode the Cardinal into DC, a few years back when it still had Superliners.

So yes, they can fit through the tunnels. Ignore that AFAIK statement, they do fit.

AmtrakWPK said:
Saw today's northbound special go past today at the A783.0 MP, which is about 4 miles north of WPK. 2 ponies and 20 cars, ending with a superliner transition sleeper, which was a little wierd. 88 axles, verified by the Longwood DD a few minutes later. OLD coaches, most of them, and two diners. The really strange thing was that it was northbound, but the train number was P959, rather than the even-number that it should have been. Wonder what happened there. Also, can that superliner actually make it all the way to D.C. (i.e. low overpasses)? Or are they going to drop it off in Va somewhere?
Currently spending layover in WAS. Trip north went well as can be expected. All the kids were very excited to see snow on the ground in NC. The kids are all cute and well behaved for the most part (but the chaperones do have their hands full, though)! I am assigned to the assist in the lounge. We mainly handle feeding the teachers, chaperones, and school board supervisors (which they have their food and beverage catered independently) we serve their food as it is put on the train nd have a small sanck buffet for them. And for the doctors/medics, OBS, mechanical, T&E, and the couple of RR supervisors were supplied with food from the standard Amtrak lounge car menu. We cheated a little bit. Some of the chaperones wanted to eat from the Amtrak menu so we let them if they desired, and likewise they shared their catered menu with us. Basic goal to keep everyone happy, and we were/are successful so far. As far as my working with the kids, I don't see much of the girls, but I am assigned to help in the boys section of the train (such as loading and unloading) as well as help load the food at the food stops for the boys as well. So I hang out between the lounge and the boys section (mainly the lounge) of the train (and yes boys will be boys)! The nice part, the chaperones (and the kids, too, they like to help ya know) do all the work at meal time passing out the meals and cleaning up. We (the whole OBS crew) all work together to upkeep the transisition Superliner. When we got to WAS, Mr Gunn was there to meet us this week!

Ok, as I have been rambling with a so so trip report, to best answer your inquirery. Our actual Amtrak assigned train number for this week is #948. But CSX assigns its own ID to the train. They do so similar to their unit trains. The OUC coal trains as an example is assigned its ID up in coal country and it keeps that ID in one or both directions. Well, for us it is the same situation, CSX assigned our train numbered #948 an ID of #P959-20. Returning south Amtrak IDs us as train #949 and CSX will operate us as P960-23.

Our consist is: 2 locos, 9 Horizon coaches plus 1 Amfleet 2 coach (for the girls section), 1 Horizon lounge, 1 Heritage (former 10-6) crew, 7 more Horizon coaches (for the boys section), and lastly 1 Superliner transition sleeper (for the school board supervisors, doctors/medics). I will provide details of the return trip if anything real interesting occurs.

It is snowing heavily here in WAS at this time. I hope the kids are able to do everything they set out to do today. At least they are getting to see and play in snow (I am sure they are playing in it anyway)! OBS....

Thanks for the update...glad to see everyone is enjoying the train and all is working out well. Hopefully the snow won't be too much trouble for you guys on the return trip (we're supposed to get 16-24 inches up here in the NY Metro area). I'm I reading this right...One lounge for the entire train? Generally where are the food stops? Out of curiosity, you don't have the specific numbers of the cars in the consist (I know 54048 is among them)?

Does anyone know when they DHed the Trans Dorm to MIA?

What did Gunn have to say/what did you say to him?

Good luck, I hope your return trip is as fun as the northbound trip sounded.

Viewliner said:
Thanks for the update...glad to see everyone is enjoying the train and all is working out well.

What did Gunn have to say/what did you say to him?

Good luck, I hope your return trip is as fun as the northbound trip sounded.
Your welcome. I was busy unloading two carloads of boys! So I missed Mr Gunn to speak with him as he saw I was busy. In regard to your question about the Superliner, I am not sure, but I believe one of the southbounds (don't know if it was #91 or #97) made a stop at SFD to pick it up a couple days prior to the first trip of the "School Boy," so I believe it was brought in to SFD on #P002 sometime before hand. Thanks I am sure the return will go well, I am sure the kids will be a bit more tired and ready and excited to get home to Mom and Dad. Some of these kids have never left South FL before now and this is probably the first time they are away from their parents, too. I wonder if they are tired of snow by now! LOL...OBS...

While a train load of kids must be extremely challenging, look at it this way....they are the future riders of tomorrow. It is good to let them get a little wild and crazy and perceive of a train as something to enjoy(much more than they could safely do on a plane or bus. )

They can remember what a good time they had, so when they (hopefully) grow up, they just might consider Amtrak in their plans.

And, being realistic for a moment, on a train like this they are not bothering the other passengers.

I was in DC over the weekend and rode the Metro Red Line several times past Union Station. I was able to see the consist a couple of times. It was pretty impressive seeing a long single level consist with the Superliner Trans Dorm at the end.

Miami Joe??? You have any Idea what train numbers CNOC in WIL assigned this comming weekend's trains? :eek:

AMTK1007 said:
Miami Joe??? You have any Idea what train numbers CNOC in WIL assigned this comming weekend's trains? :eek:
I am not Miami Joe, but for the last two trips, Amtrak has assigned it as #948 Northbound, and #949 Southbound. The paperwork I have lists it as "to be determined, but that was the case for our train (the second week's trip) and we kept the same Amtrak train number.

However, CSX will assign it an ID of it's own! The paperwork I have from my trip (last weeks), lists it as "to be determined!" On the first week the Northbound trip, CSX assigned it as "P957-13," and on that trip's return CSX assigned it "P958-16." On my trip Northbound (the second week's running), CSX assigned it as "P959-20," and on the return CSX assigned it as "P960-23.

So I would imagine Amtrak will most likely keep the same number (#948 & #949) for the next two remaining trips, and CSX may ID them starting at "P961-27, P962-30, P963-03, and P964-06." I will post if I hear otherwise if I am not on the road. We shall see.... OBS...

Found this sitting around:

TRAIN CONSIST                                TRAIN 947 / 23JAN    LINE      BETWEEN   CAR NUMBER

WAS MIA   58

WAS MIA   185

WAS MIA   54048

WAS MIA   54011

WAS MIA   54501

WAS MIA   54550

WAS MIA   54537

WAS MIA   54526

WAS MIA   54561

WAS MIA   54013

WAS MIA   54524

WAS MIA   25106

WAS MIA   53500    FOOD CAR

WAS MIA   2517     STAFF DORM

WAS MIA   54534

WAS MIA   54541

WAS MIA   54579

WAS MIA   54523

WAS MIA   54558

WAS MIA   54528

WAS MIA   54511

WAS MIA   39016    CREW DORM

OBS is "on the money!"

The train is using the same Amtrak numbers, but I think CSX assigns a new number on each trip.

MJ B)

Thanks OBS and Miami Joe... - you never know what CNOC will do...

oh and by the way... WE WANT OUR HORIZON CARS BACK :eek:

althought I am sure Robert would not agree... :blink:

AMTK1007 said:
Thanks OBS and Miami Joe... - you never know what CNOC will do...
oh and by the way... WE WANT OUR HORIZON CARS BACK :eek:

althought I am sure Robert would not agree... :blink:
Me, Robert?

Seeing as how the entire Midwest corridor (and Hiawathas in particular) was pathetically screwed up last week, and since I really don't have a problem with Horizon cars anyway, I say bring them back.

Thanks for the full consist and the updates guys, I had been curious on the car numbers. It's certainly unique to see the dorm in the middle of the consist, but it's sensible....acting as a buffer betweeen the boys and the girls. OBS, correct me if I'm wrong, but the boys are towards the head end and the girls at the bottom, right?

Back