Seats turn on the Zephyr??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I am new to this board and was unsure where to place this question.

It has been over 30 years since I rode the train. We are planning a trip out west on the Zephyr from CHI with our 2 boys, and if I remember correctly from my trip 30 years ago, you were able to turn the seats so that 4 of them faced each other. Do the seats still turn this way?

just started looking on this board. What a great amount of information here!

Actually the Superliner seats do turn, but ask the Conductor or Attendant first, as some are more allowing of that than others.
OP is correct, seats DO turn, but staff tend to get quite pissed off (with valid reason I might add) if you don't ask, beg them first. Usually they will only do if seated at one end of the coach, so that you don't interfere with the reclining seat back of two other sets of seats. Start with coach attendant, and a little "tip" may not hurt either. Usually if the coach attendant does it for you, the conductor won't mind. Usually.............

The problem is that when you turn a pair of seats such that the back of the turned pair is now against the back of the unturned pair in the next row, the seats in that row may not be able to fully recline. Your turned seats may block the recline. Unless those seats are unused, you may be limiting the sleeping comfort of one or two other passengers. So ask, but if the request is declined, that could be the reason.

The problem is that when you turn a pair of seats such that the back of the turned pair is now against the back of the unturned pair in the next row, the seats in that row may not be able to fully recline. Your turned seats may block the recline. Unless those seats are unused, you may be limiting the sleeping comfort of one or two other passengers. So ask, but if the request is declined, that could be the reason.
That is good to know that they are ABLE to be turned. We will have another family of 5 travelling with us, so if we put that family in the seats opposite our turned ones, it may work out okay. As you said, best idea is probably to ask the car attendant if our party of 9 can work something like that out.

That being said, is it better to sit in the middle of the car to have a better view? i was thinking we could turn one set of seats to create a 4-some, with the seats that have turned backwards possibly against the partition from the stairwell? that way, it wouldn't impede anyone else reclining their seats. then do the same thing across the aisle, and have our additional person in front of that sitting alone if the car isn't full, thereby not stopping anyone from reclining except those in our party.

Also, are you able to reserve a bedroom for only part of the trip? We will be going to DEN from CHI for the first leg of the trip, and the cost of the bedroom from CHI to DEN is prohibitive, and really only need it from middle of Iowa to DEN. Can we just buy a ticket from CHI to say Osceola, IA in coach, then buy a bedroom for the rest of the trip for the 4 kids to sleep in from Osceola to Denver?

I know...a lot of questions, but as i said before...haven't ridden Amtrak for 30 years!!! :)

You absolutely can book a room for part of the trip, and coach for part of the trip.

Keep in mind that with a room, your meals are free, but only for the time you occupy the room. So, depending on how many are traveling (unclear if it's four people total, or four kids and one or two adults...) you'll have to decide whether the cost of dinner is greater than the additional cost of the room for a longer period.

If you think it's financially advantageous for you to only occupy the room for a brief period, then by all means, do it.

sorry for the misinformation in my post above. was totally unaware that the seats turned. have never seen it done and can't quite imagine how it would work
there's a lever on the side that the crew push and then the seat rotates. its done on the SSL when the texas eagle cars join since they're facing backwards. the crew comes in and rotates all the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back