Seattle King Street Station Grand Reopening Photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked down to the station today to see what was new. I was there as 507 was boarding. Here are some pictures.

They have added indirect lighting along the ledge of the second floor to illuminate the ceiling. I'll have to go back sometime after dark and see what this looks like without all the light coming in the windows.

8740065350_38c83b10f9_c.jpg

The doors are labeled now in gold letters. Oops, not "doors," "gates." As Blackwolf noticed before, the sconce lights were missing their glass globes at the reopening ceremony, but they have them now.

8740062928_c475cf00e0_c.jpg

Unused doors gates 7 and 8, at the right, now have ropes in front of them. I imagine people have tried to walk out that way. I saw some people trying to come in that way, and the doors were locked.

8738947599_889db1473c_c.jpg

The Grand Staircase to Jackson Street is now open. It's a nice staircase but I'm not sure I'd call it "grand."

8740063662_32607ecc4e_c.jpg

All evidence of the temporary waiting room was gone.

Ugh. Gate control, silly lines, fences... Amtrak is completely mismanaging the pedestrian flow.

I know this sort of silliness has been done, on and off, at various stations throughout history, but best practice is still to let people head straight to -- and more importantly from --- the platform.

Actually, door 8 *should* be the fastest route from the station building to the staircase to the Weller Street overpass. But... gratuitous fencing! No sidewalks! Force people to walk in the street! (Maybe something is being done about this? What is going on between Door 8 and the base of the Weller St. overpass?)

Anyway, the station building looks very nice. Pity they're mismanaging the pedestrian flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back