Seattle Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kasto

Hi everyone.

I plan on riding from Seattle to Chicago. I live kinda far from Seattle, so I plan to drive to the station. I was wondering if anyone has been to that area, and if there are any park&ride type services over there. Or maybe there are parkng garages/lots that are overnight OK, Typically, what is the price per day to park.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Don't live in the area but seems to me it would be better to take a bus into Seattle downtown. You dont say how far you live from Seattle; that info might be helpful.

Perhaps it would be cheaper to park on the outskirts of Seattle (must be places) and take a city bus downtown?

Good luck. Enjoy the trip. I've done it twice. Wonderful ride on the EB!

Oh, if you get the time, you ought to visit Pike Street market in Seattle.

According to the amtrak cascades site, there is short term parking next to the station at Seahawk Stadium Parking Lot (cash only). And paid overnight covered parking at King Street Center. You might want to call the station at (206)-382-4125 and try to get better information or maybe get phone numbers to the above for info. If I remember correctly, Sea-tac is a bit far for a taxi ride, but an airport is always a good (and cheap) secure parking option. On our last trip I parked the car at Will Rogers Airport (Oklahoma City) and took a cab to the amtrak station.

thanks everyone for the reply.

I have thought of taking the bus, and I'm still deciding. I'm just afraid that there may bea delay on my trip back, and I end up arriving when there's no bus service; don't want to spend the night at the station.

Thanks again.

I also have one more question. This will be my first overnight train ride. How much is it typically for meals on the Empire Builder? (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

In diner, it costs up to $10 for lunch and breakfast and range from $14-20 for dinner.

Next cheaper one would be in the lounge (snack bar). It has a microwave to warm up the food.

You can bring your own food, but you'll have to eat in the coach area, but you cannot use the microwave.

I strongly recommend to try the dining experience (dinner preferred) to further enhance of your journey.

kasto said:
I also have one more question. This will be my first overnight train ride. How much is it typically for meals on the Empire Builder? (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Kasto,

To give you a better idea of what to expect I'm providing links to both a sample cafe car menu from 2002 and last year's diner menus. Obviously prices have gone up some since that time and items have changed, but this will help to give you some idea of what to expect.

Dining Car Menu.

Sample Cafe Menu.

Also while I can't personally help you with parking in Seattle, let me tell you that we do have a few members who live in the Seattle area, who have not yet responded to your original question. Therefore further help may still be coming in regards to how best to reach the station.

Paid overnight covered parking is available at King Street Center next to the train station on King Street. That's according to Amtrak and Amtrak Cascades Web sites.

As far as dining is concerned: keep in mind that the Seattle portion of the train has just the diner (between Seattle and Spokane), which doubles as a cafe car; the Portland section has the sightseer/lounge car (between Portland and Spokane)--and no diner. At Spokane, the trains are combined, and then you have both the diner and lounge on the same train. When I'm traveling (and I travel on a budget), I try to get at least one dinner in the diner. Otherwise, eat in the diner for breakfast and/or lunch when the prices are lower. "Dinners" can be had in the lounge car at lower prices (than in the diner). Yes, you can bring your own food, but you can't consume it in publilc areas (the lounge car/dining car), but you can always have your own and purchase a soda or coffee to go along with it. I believe catering trucks meet the train at Havre, MT.

One addendum to Alan's post, the menus he posted are fairly old, and are used on very few (if any trains). Most use a different but similar menu.

battalion51 said:
One addendum to Alan's post, the menus he posted are fairly old, and are used on very few (if any trains). Most use a different but similar menu.
I would have thought that stating the menus were last years, would have made it clear that they are old. :blink:

Aloha

Just a thought, it seems to me that if you conpare the value for what is spent and the service received. The Diner is by far the best! :rolleyes: :p :D :lol:

bmlock, that menu is OLD! :lol: That is the old national standardized menu that was used before the cycles were introduced.

The stations in Havre Mt, Minot ND, and St Paul MN have vending machines inside the station also.All 3 are service stops for the builder and their prices are lower than the lounge car. Havre has great ice cream in their station.Plus enjoy the old locomotive sitting outside the station at Havre.

WHY NOT MINOT! Nice little station I found lots of state travel planners and maps there. and the vending machines are filled with all kinds of snacks.A small number of pay phones inside the station also.

St Paul Lots of pay phones there plus buy your morning paper in the station if you are traveling by coach.Vending machines are well stocked.

This is what i found when i went on the builder 2 years ago.

I should have thought about the menu a bit longer. We took the Eagle not to long ago and when I looked at the menu I did not see what we ate, but blew it off, sorry. I usually get on here during lunch at 3am and don't have alot of time to think about everything I write. I think the prices were still pretty close though, but not having to worry about the price, I don't remember exactly.

My wife and I left from Seattle on the Coast Starlight last summer. The station is in kind of a questionable part of town--I'm not sure I'd leave my car there for any length of time.

I am jealous of your EB trip--I'd really like to make that trip some time.

Back