Service to Freeport and Brunswick ME to start Nov 1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the NEC and Hudson River Lines are still in recovery, there is good news in that the Downeaster started service to Brunswick today. Portland Press Herald article Downeaster Arrives in Brunswick on today's ceremonial first run.

Some important players in Maine politics were on the first train:

U.S. Sen. Olympia Snowe and U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree rode the train and spoke at the Freeport and Brunswick stops. Also on board were U.S. Senate candidate and former Gov. Angus King and Wayne Davis, a retired banker from Topsham who led the grass-roots campaign to revive passenger rail service in Maine. Federal Railroad Administrator Joseph Szabo had planned to attend, but was in Washington because of recovery efforts with Superstorm Sandy.
On her arrival in Brunswick, Snowe said, "This opens up a new era and new chapter for Brunswick."

Former Gov. John Baldacci was also on hand as the train arrived in Brunswick.
Former Gov. Angus King (I) is considered a shoe-in to win the US Senate seat, so both Maine Senators in the next session were on the trip.

Now someone should take & post photos of the first shoppers getting on at Freeport loaded with LL Bean shopping bags on the return trip to Portland or Boston.

Speaking of connections to the Maritimes……

For awhile in the mid 2000's you could depart Boston on the first Downeaster in the morning, arrive in Portland in time to catch the "Cat" highspeed ferry and be in Yarmouth, NS. for supper. It was discontinued in 2009 but there is an effort underway to bring back a Cruise type ferry on this route and the big European ferry operator P&O is interested……might have Downeaster connections to the Maritimes again in 2014.

Ferry LInk
Would love to get the ship/boat back!

Now, on to Bangor. At least Concord coach and Cyr give good bus service to the state.
Why stop at Bangor?

On to Mattawamkeag, and then the route of the former 'Atlantic Limited' to the Maritimes!

And since Greyhound Lines exited the market years ago, there is extremely limited bus service from Bangor to the Maritimes nowadays....
Yeah, now we're talking! I wish VIA could restart that service as well, they could but it's owned by a US company. It would be much faster than the Ocean.

It looks like Cyr already operates bus service up to Caribou, I hope they can get it back up to Van Buren, maybe even Edmundston across the border. It was apparently taken over from B&A in 1984, but I have no idea what their fleet has.
Used to ride the thru GL-BAR pool bus years ago from the Port Authority all the way to Fort Kent, Me., at the north end of US 1. From Madawaska, we went into Edmundston, made a stop there, and back to Madawaska enroute. A customs officer rode back and forth from the border checkpoint, and thru passengers weren't even bothered.

I doubt that would occur nowadays...

Back then, (late 60's), Greyhound ran two all year locals on US 1 and 2 to the Calais/St. Stephen border. In the summer, they ran an express up Maine 9 that continued in pool service all the way to Halifax operated by SMT Eastern Limited and Acadian Lines.

I agree that it would be nice to see the Atlantic Limited return and restore service to Saint John, but considering the finances of VIA, not likely...
Looking over this (the thread dropped off my radar for a while), I can't help but wonder whether there would be a substantial market for a train, seasonal or otherwise, from Boston to the Maritimes. Then again, the "real" question here is Bangor. I've heard that there is some desire to extend train service up that far, and I could see an experimental extension growing from there. VIA would have to pick up the torch from Saint John if further extensions were to happen.

I just don't see this market existing, however. Bangor makes sense in the context of in-state service connecting south, and I know there's some desire to run a train west from ME to allow a connection to Montreal in the state's plans. I've never heard of anything running into the Maritimes...though this probably has something to do with the fact that the Maritimes aren't exactly the most "happening" part of Canada, to put it charitably.

While the time from Boston isn't as fast as driving (sometimes,) I am more excited that I can take 66 from WAS and connect up on the first northbound to Brunswick. That to me is a real value. I can have a day in WAS then sleep my way to Maine.
If Amtrak gets a Sleeper back on that train, it would be even better!

Yeah, now we're talking! I wish VIA could restart that service as well, they could but it's owned by a US company. It would be much faster than the Ocean.

It looks like Cyr already operates bus service up to Caribou, I hope they can get it back up to Van Buren, maybe even Edmundston across the border. It was apparently taken over from B&A in 1984, but I have no idea what their fleet has.
Used to ride the thru GL-BAR pool bus years ago from the Port Authority all the way to Fort Kent, Me., at the north end of US 1. From Madawaska, we went into Edmundston, made a stop there, and back to Madawaska enroute. A customs officer rode back and forth from the border checkpoint, and thru passengers weren't even bothered.

I doubt that would occur nowadays...

Back then, (late 60's), Greyhound ran two all year locals on US 1 and 2 to the Calais/St. Stephen border. In the summer, they ran an express up Maine 9 that continued in pool service all the way to Halifax operated by SMT Eastern Limited and Acadian Lines.

I agree that it would be nice to see the Atlantic Limited return and restore service to Saint John, but considering the finances of VIA, not likely...
Looking over this (the thread dropped off my radar for a while), I can't help but wonder whether there would be a substantial market for a train, seasonal or otherwise, from Boston to the Maritimes. Then again, the "real" question here is Bangor. I've heard that there is some desire to extend train service up that far, and I could see an experimental extension growing from there. VIA would have to pick up the torch from Saint John if further extensions were to happen.

I just don't see this market existing, however. Bangor makes sense in the context of in-state service connecting south, and I know there's some desire to run a train west from ME to allow a connection to Montreal in the state's plans. I've never heard of anything running into the Maritimes...though this probably has something to do with the fact that the Maritimes aren't exactly the most "happening" part of Canada, to put it charitably.
It did operate in 1954. For some reason I can't post the link but go to Streamliner Schedules, then Canada and Alaska, then The Gull. I know he train is unlikely but at least somebody could run a us. Maybe Cyr or Concord Lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the time from Boston isn't as fast as driving (sometimes,) I am more excited that I can take 66 from WAS and connect up on the first northbound to Brunswick. That to me is a real value. I can have a day in WAS then sleep my way to Maine.
That gives me an idea of a really cool thing that will never happen in my lifetime (Hopefully not 66/67 getting a sleeper) but transfering the sleeper from 66/67 to the morning train to Brunswick. I know I'm just dreaming here, but you have to admit it's a pretty cool dream. In the mean time I'll just hope that after the new Viewliner order 66/67 gets at least one ot two sleepers back. I remember seein an old schedule in my Standard Guide advertising direct sleeper service from NYC to Rockland (the next stop after Brunswick and the end of that current line). The train of course didn't go through Boston so they didn't have the wierd switching move from South to North Station.

If they ever build the connecting tunnel (something else I have just about giving up on happening), they could just run 66/67 to Maine. Oh well, I better stop dreaming and get back to work.

That gives me an idea of a really cool thing that will never happen in my lifetime (Hopefully not 66/67 getting a sleeper) but transfering the sleeper from 66/67 to the morning train to Brunswick. I know I'm just dreaming here, but you have to admit it's a pretty cool dream. In the mean time I'll just hope that after the new Viewliner order 66/67 gets at least one ot two sleepers back. I remember seein an old schedule in my Standard Guide advertising direct sleeper service from NYC to Rockland (the next stop after Brunswick and the end of that current line). The train of course didn't go through Boston so they didn't have the wierd switching move from South to North Station.

If they ever build the connecting tunnel (something else I have just about giving up on happening), they could just run 66/67 to Maine. Oh well, I better stop dreaming and get back to work.
If you are going to dream about a sleeper car to Maine, you might as well dream up a East Coast LD train from Bangor to Miami. Not much of a market for it though. :p

Yeah, I think that connecting tunnel between BON and BOS is just a dream. I give that a 0% chance of ever happening. :(

What road ran it? I've got a guide from December '54, so I can look it up.
B&M, MCRR, CP, and even CN.

Actually, you can run from the NER to Maine, you juyst can;t pass through BOS. I think there is a line though Lowell. Can't post a link to a rail map.

Actually, you can run from the NER to Maine, you juyst can;t pass through BOS. I think there is a line though Lowell. Can't post a link to a rail map.
Essentially Haverhill - Ballardvale - Lowell - Ayer - Worcester
Looking at the map that I couldn't link to, that's exactly right. I don't think Amtrak will ever run it, though PRR did run a trough train per the 1954 Official Guide.

Speaking of connections to the Maritimes……

For awhile in the mid 2000's you could depart Boston on the first Downeaster in the morning, arrive in Portland in time to catch the "Cat" highspeed ferry and be in Yarmouth, NS. for supper. It was discontinued in 2009 but there is an effort underway to bring back a Cruise type ferry on this route and the big European ferry operator P&O is interested……might have Downeaster connections to the Maritimes again in 2014.

Ferry LInk
I'd like that... take the ferry Portland to N.S., then the VIA Ocean to Montreal or Toronto, then Amtrak back to Boston and then to Portland.

Wonder how long that loop would take??

Linked from a positive editorial dated today about the Downeaster's extension -- Downeaster train: A track to employment, development -- is a story from September that implies that New Hampshire is at least considering putting money into rail.

NH considers rail expansion but lacks data

CONCORD, N.H. — The upgrade of passenger rail systems in Maine and elsewhere threatens to leave New Hampshire as an “economic black hole” bypassed by future development, according to one point of view at a business summit about whether commuter trains can return to Nashua and the Merrimack Valley.

It’s hard to know if [the benefits are] outweighed by the costs, however, because the Executive Council rejected a $3.2 million federal grant to do an engineering study that would provide the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the "State of Maine' a joint New Haven and Boston & Maine train. It ran along the shore line to Providence RI and up the Blackstone Valley branch to the B&M in Worcester, then Ayer, Lowell, Ballardvale, Lawrence and up the Main line to Portland.

At one time It also carried through sleepers from NYconnecting in Portland ME to the MEC as far as Bangor ME and to Ellsworth for Bar Harbor traffic.

The State of Maine also carried through sleeping cars from NY to Concord, NH until 1958.

It had multiple routings through CT MA RI during its run, the last was through Providence, but at one time went up from Groton and earlier through Springfield.

When the ICC disontinued this train in October1960, MASS ICC did not agree and forced the B&M to run the train through MA and the B&M essentially ran a 1 car self propelled diesel car (RDC) from Worcester to Haverhill, for about 6 mo until this was finally discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back