Sets of equipment needed for the Northeast Regional service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCC1007

Customer Service Agent
Does anyone know how many sets of equipment are needed on any given day for the northeast regional service? I am wondering if there is a market for dinner service in the corridor, something better than the cafe and more elegant than the current long distance trains offer.

The only Regionals I could even remotely being able to sustain any type of full dining service would be 171/176 or 95/94, or their weekend counterparts (which really complicates things on weekends...As 95's equipment terminates in NPN and deadheads back to RVR on Fridays for 164. And Monday's 176 return from LYH actually turns from 145 which is out of NYP on Sunday. So it would be a real pain. I guess you could give it to 93/86 and their Friday/weekend equivalents to make that part a little easier, but still doesn't fix the 145/176 issue. And I really don't think many of the BOS-WAS Regionals would need it, as it's mostly short-haul trips.

The trips on the NEC are so *short* that you'd practically be in the dining car for the whole trip. Which actually might be a viable business model for extra-fare tickets. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you are talking about "pure" NEC regional service( no keystones or long distance trains working as regional trains like the Vermonter) and factoring in the construction on the SPG line, the number hovers around 26 (give or take a set on Wednesday.)

The equipment for these trains routinely cycle into other sets. There a very few sets that self cycle in the NE regional pool.

Additionally, Congress ordered Amtrak to cut their F&B losses. Unless someone brings back the cafeteria car, I don't see regional trains covering their losses.

Have you checked with Rep. Mica on your plans? This grouchy old guy seems to have a bigger say on Amtrak food service than anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back