Short-term reroute options for CL/LSL/Michigan trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neroden

Engineer
So, the NS Chicago Line is completely failing from somewhere west of Toledo to well inside Chicago proper. And yet, the passenger trains on this line are still *very* popular.

Now, consider the traffic pattern:

- most of the LSL traffic is from Chicago to upstate NY, NYC, Boston, or Cleveland

- most of the CL traffic is Chicago to DC or Pittsburgh

- a noticeable amount of the LSL & CL traffic is from South Bend (rather than Chicago) to the same locations

- nearly all of the Michigan Service traffic is from Chicago to Michigan

My conclusion is that the station stops on the LSL and CL between South Bend and Toledo (exclusive) are unimportant; stations outside Michigan on the Michigan line are also unimportant, other than Chicago; and South Bend passengers heading east can, at worst, connect via the South Shore Line to Chicago. A reliable schedule for passengers coming from further east is the key.

Accordingly, any reroute which can reliably get the Michigan trains from Chicago to Michigan City, and the LSL/CL from Chicago to Cleveland, on a schedule, would be a vast improvement. Should be considered *emergency* reroutes, actually.

The most obvious route, which completely avoids all the trouble, is NS/Conrail Toledo to Dearborn (not clogged up yet AFAIK), MichDOT/Amtrak Dearborn to Michigan City, NIPSCO connecting track in Michigan City, South Shore Line to Kensington, CN over St. Charles Air Line to Chicago Union Station. I'm sure Michigan DOT would be cooperative, and NS would probably be happy to get Amtrak off the busy line onto a less busy line, but the South Shore Line and CN might be unhappy.

Are there other possible routes which could be suggested to Amtrak for immediate, emergency implementation?

Can the Amtrak cars fit through the SS high level platforms? CN seems to be reasonably busy with oil trains, other freight and the Illinois service/CONO (was late Monday and saw the tail end of one of the Illinois Service trains heading south past my station- the CONO seems to usually come by after I've gone to work, but not always).

There has been a few detour moves over the SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO if amtrak could do this efficiently and in a cost effective way they would have done it. There's congestion between Chicago and porter so using the Michigan line wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. The css&sb is difficult because amtrak doesn't have crews that know these tracks and the css&sb do not have crews that know how to run amtrak equipment. These people have to be paid and it's no longer cost effective.

I wonder though, given how much they have to pay in compensation and then to hire the buses etc. if it really wouldn't be worth it or at least close to it?

Given the amount of revenue they're losing by running buses from Toledo to Chicago, yes, it would be cost-effective. I'm not sure if it's possible to complete negotiations with the host railroads in the short term, though, maybe it's just not possible to conclude negotiations.

I think if I had to get to Chicago from the NEC for a western connection, I'd use the Cardinal. While longer, at least you improve the odds of getting there in time.
(1) Three a week really, REALLY hurts the practicality of this. If you have to wait three days for the next Cardinal to leave, a train delayed 11 hours is a lot faster.

(2) Doesn't help at all if you're coming from Pittsburgh or upstate NY (I'm always coming from upstate NY) and it's pretty bad if you're coming from Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true, Neroden. Taking the Cardinal certainly makes more sense if you were a Capitol Ltd.,rather than LSL customer - and - planned ahead for the right day of the week. Hopefully the first new Viewliner diner will go on this train, especially if they maintain the two sleepers. Hopefully they'll also keep the existing cafe for a lounge.

I think if I had to get to Chicago from the NEC for a western connection, I'd use the Cardinal. While longer, at least you improve the odds of getting there in time.
(1) Three a week really, REALLY hurts the praticality of this. If you have to wait three days for the next Cardinal to leave, a train delayed 11 hours is a lot faster.

(2) Doesn't help at all if you're coming from Pittsburgh or upstate NY (I'm always coming from upstate NY) and it's pretty bad if you're coming from Boston.
I agree that the limited 3/day/week schedule makes it difficult to make use of 51/Cardinal, especially if you are departing from PGH or upstate NY or Boston. However, since I live in NYC and will be departing from NYP I adjusted my trip itinerary to allow me to use 51/Cardinal. It has a better than 73% on time performance the last 6 weeks or so and will get me to CHI in time for my connection to 3/SWC and I don't have to ride a bus for 5-6 hours instead of relaxing in my sleeper compartment. I will put up with 51/Cardinal not having a real Dining car, it's circuitous route,longer trip duration and much earlier departure time knowing I won't end up on a bus on the Indiana Turnpike or sit on a siding for untold hours waiting for freight traffic to clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back