sightseer cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe flash photos of the flophouse emailed to President Boardman???

About 15 years back I took the SWC and they were allowing people to sleep at night in the lounge. A few people had sleeping bags and were doing pretty good. The next time I took it they would not allow people to lay on the floor at night. I took it last year but I didn't go into the lounge late at night. IMO they shouldn't allow sleeping on the floor or across the seats in the lounge. It's not a flophouse.
I never take an overnight train without a room.
when i have 2 seats to myself in coach i sleep on both last trip i slept in the loung car cause i didn't like my seat mate. he got off in ABQ and i had the seats to myself afterwards. and i sleep on the seats. not on the floor. NOT ALL OF USE CAN AFFORD THE 500 DOLLARS FOR A ROOM. SO I GUESS THOSE THAT CAN'T AFFORD A ROOM SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THE TRAIN HMMMMM.

GOT IT!!!

Make the SSL a special car that it is supposed to be , add waitress service (they provide a touch of class as well as Monitoring behavior ( seating problems ) & creating revenue for seat side service, TIPS, Everyone Wins

:eek: B) :D

NOT ALL OF USE CAN AFFORD THE 500 DOLLARS FOR A ROOM. SO I GUESS THOSE THAT CAN'T AFFORD A ROOM SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THE TRAIN HMMMMM.
How about sleeping in your COACH SEAT then? :huh: :rolleyes: (I do!)

I've seen the fares listed saying

coach seatlower level coach seat

roomette

family room

bedroom
I gave NEVER seen a fare listed that said

Sightseer lounge seat
or did I miss it? :huh:

:rolleyes:

when i have 2 seats to myself in coach i sleep on both last trip i slept in the loung car cause i didn't like my seat mate. he got off in ABQ and i had the seats to myself afterwards. and i sleep on the seats. not on the floor. NOT ALL OF USE CAN AFFORD THE 500 DOLLARS FOR A ROOM. SO I GUESS THOSE THAT CAN'T AFFORD A ROOM SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THE TRAIN HMMMMM.

Maybe you should buy 2 tickets for coach.

If you buy a coach ticket, Amtrak does NOT have the responsibility of providing you with a place to sleep. If you buy one coach ticket, you are only entitled to one coach seat. DEAL WITH IT.

If you buy a coach ticket, Amtrak does NOT have the responsibility of providing you with a place to sleep. If you buy one coach ticket, you are only entitled to one coach seat. DEAL WITH IT.
Even with two coach tickets, there is no guarantee they will be next to each other! :lol:

I have slept using two seats before. However, i did ask the car attendant and she had no problems because they weren't going to be crowded and there would be enough room. I also told her that if they need the seat just to wake me.

About 15 years back I took the SWC and they were allowing people to sleep at night in the lounge. A few people had sleeping bags and were doing pretty good. The next time I took it they would not allow people to lay on the floor at night. I took it last year but I didn't go into the lounge late at night. IMO they shouldn't allow sleeping on the floor or across the seats in the lounge. It's not a flophouse.
No. Of course you can take the train. BUT YOU SHOULDN"T BE USING THE LOUNGE COUCHES TO SLEEP ON. OK?? WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING??

NOT ALL OF USE CAN AFFORD THE 500 DOLLARS FOR A ROOM. SO I GUESS THOSE THAT CAN'T AFFORD A ROOM SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THE TRAIN HMMMMM.
Bingo! If you can't afford a sleeper, then don't plan to sleep on the train, or don't take the train. Whichever you prefer. Right now driving is cheaper than taking the train to most destinations (and way cheaper than a sleeper).

I can't sleep on a train in coach OR in a sleeper PERIOD. I just can't and don't EXPECT to. I take the train because I want to. If I want to sleep, I'll drive and get a motel, or fly. But if I'm on the train I'm not going to act obnoxious like I am entitled to sleep in an area I'm not. And I'm not going to turn away other passengers by making the train look like skid row. That's the last thing Amtrak needs right now and if you care at all about it's future, have some decency and stop thinking only of you and your beauty sleep.

Seriously.

Wow, this is the first thread where I gotta disagree with alot of responses. I'm one who just CANNOT sleep in a chair. No matter how hard I try, I can't. How do I sleep if I don't have funds for a roomette? I think that during the hours of 12 - 4 in the morning people should be allowed to sleep in the SSL. What are people going to be looking at between those hours?
After those hours I think passengers that are awake should have the rightaway... until then I don't think it's fair to complain. Some of us just CANNOT sleep upright.
Lucky you don't live Downunder - 14 hours to Los Angeles, 20 hours to Frankfurt and a whopping 22 hours to London.

You sure learn to sleep sitting up when you're a Qantas client - and the seats are narrower, closer and don't recline as much (but the food is infinitely better and you get armrests :rolleyes: ).

Just because someone can't afford a sleeper doesn't mean they can turn whatever space they can find into a makeshift roomette. Coach is just that, coach. It's not a rolling youth hostel or homeless shelter. Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight just because they couldn't afford one of those first class seats that lays back into a bed.

Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight just because they couldn't afford one of those first class seats that lays back into a bed.
Well, if by chance I were lucky enough to have a seat-pair to myself on an airplane in coach on an overnight flight, yes I would use both seats to sleep in because I'd be fairly certain no passenger would be boarding at a station in the middle of the night before we got to my destination :) But I wouldn't sleep in the aisle.

On half-empty trains where I've had a coach seat-pair to myself, I sleep on both seats. If the conductor or a car attendant nudges me at three in the morning because a lot of passengers are boarding and they need the seat, I adjust to free up the seat. That's happened only once, out of several dozen overnights in coach. Most of the time I either have a seat-pair on a very empty train which never needs the seat or I have a seat-mate and just sleep in my chair. I guess I'm like a cat--I'll spread to fill the available space if there's an adjacent empty seat.

But I'd never sleep in the lounge (on seats or on the floor), and I never spread into the coach aisle.

Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight - Yes, I've done it many times.

I have even left my business class seat and gone back to economy to sleep on the floor!! It was 14hrs 55min from SFO to HKG.

Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight - Yes, I've done it many times.I have even left my business class seat and gone back to economy to sleep on the floor!! It was 14hrs 55min from SFO to HKG.
They let you sleep on the floor?

Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight - Yes, I've done it many times.I have even left my business class seat and gone back to economy to sleep on the floor!! It was 14hrs 55min from SFO to HKG.

Where might that be?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had friends who took the EB a year ago and they said there were a couple of ladies of the evening working the Sightseer overnight. they'd solicit "customers" then take them to a sleeper.

Gee, we had a similar thing on the CZ this spring. I could hear the conversations about going to the room from a very intoxicated young woman. The attendant in her sleeper found her passed out on the floor in the lower level hall a while later. Things are more exciting than you might expect at times.

On half-empty trains where I've had a coach seat-pair to myself, I sleep on both seats. If the conductor or a car attendant nudges me at three in the morning because a lot of passengers are boarding and they need the seat, I adjust to free up the seat.
What if you were the one of the passengers boarding, and the conductor didn't (for any of a number of reasons, both good and bad) didn't nudge anyone? Would you not mind standing for your trip, just to let someone else have the use of multiple seats?

I think that is where we started this discussion. Passengers who feel they have a right to exclusive use of a seat, other than the one coach seat they paid to use.

What if you were the one of the passengers boarding, and the conductor didn't (for any of a number of reasons, both good and bad) didn't nudge anyone? Would you not mind standing for your trip, just to let someone else have the use of multiple seats?
I think that is where we started this discussion. Passengers who feel they have a right to exclusive use of a seat, other than the one coach seat they paid to use.
No, the discussion started about people sleeping in the Sightseer - NOT in the coach seat that they paid for! I never knew that you could buy a ticket for a seat in the Sightseer! And I am sure the conductor will nudge someone and ask them to move from the 2nd COACH seat to allow someone boarding to sit there if they needed the seat. (I've been on both sides.)

Possibly, the lounge should be reserved exclusively for sleeper passengers? At least sleeper passengers have private rooms for the night (back to my hotel analogy), and tend to have more courtesy toward their fellow sleeper passengers.
Being retired and with limited funds, I always travel in coach. I have seen first class passengers push and shove and have very little consideration for others, so I absolutely do not agree that sleeper passengers have more courtesy than anyone else. However, it might be a good idea to have a lounge exclusively for sleeper passengers. That would free up space in the lounge car for the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just because someone can't afford a sleeper doesn't mean they can turn whatever space they can find into a makeshift roomette. Coach is just that, coach. It's not a rolling youth hostel or homeless shelter. Can you imagine people laying on the floor or across seats on a long overnight flight just because they couldn't afford one of those first class seats that lays back into a bed.
If you travel coach all you are buying is a seat and the right to travel from A to B, the fact that some people cannot sleep upright in a chair is of little consequence. If you want to sleep, or at least lay down, then you have to travel in a sleeper....

Usually I'm too wound up to sleep on the first night in a train, whether in coach or a sleeper, so I can't see the point in spending the extra money for a sleeper. If I'm on a two-night trip, I sleep very well the 2nd night no matter where I'm at.

Once in a while one can find a very good rate for a sleeper, but over all, sleepers are very, very over priced for a solo traveler. I know they include the food, so it could be a good deal for two people traveling together, but for one person alone, the price it outrageous.

I'm wondering if a lot of the people who are saying they always travel in a sleeper are usually traveling alone or are they usually traveling with another party?????

I travel alone in sleeper and my mom has her own accommodation as well. Yes it can be what seems to me to be extremely expensive, but many here feel the price is just fine, so your concerns will usually not gain much sympathy.

I think what the bottom line is that a lot of people today feel entitled to have what other people have, even when they have no right to it, or when they cannot afford it. Sometimes I want filet mignon, but I can afford meatloaf. I choose to feel grateful that I don't have to go hungry, rather than complaining about not having the steak. I would rather feel grateful that I can afford to take a trip, rather than feeling slighted because I couldn't afford the luxury version. Sometimes I'll forgo a vacation this year so that I can afford to get a sleeper next year. If I choose to take the trip every year, then I have to deal with sleeping in the coach seat I purchased (and not the first class seat on a plane, and not in the sleeper car on the train). I don't feel entitled to sleep anywhere I happen to find a spare space, because that is taking away from the other people's enjoyment of the train (or plane, or anywhere, really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back