Sightseer Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ind Ben

Train Attendant
Am I the only one who gets's ticked when people come to the sightseer lounge and take 2 or more seat's to sleep?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again...

3_qt_Popcorn_Bowl_1.jpg

peter

As long as the lounge isn't full and people aren't looking for seats, I don't really care. I've found plenty of seating in the middle of the night. Usually, it's just me and one other person, so I barely notice if people are on the floor. As long as they vacate around breakfast time (and the conductors usually do come kick them out), then I don't mind.

As Sarah said, as long as the lounge isnt busy, who cares! However, one time, on a crowded run a fellow told me he was saving a seat while his daughter was in their room taking a nap!!! :angry: :blink:

Through the best scenery in Montana - the part through Glacier National Park, which also featured narration by a park volunteer - several people used up the seat next to them with a giant camera bag.

I get that the train is photo-friendly, but if you can't fit your bag on the floor by your feet, you A) have too much stuff, and B) are very rude.

What is just as bad is going over Donner Pass, through Glenwood Canyon or passing some other high scenery area and half the people in the Lounge are beating on keyboards or watching a screen, not paying the least bit of attention to the scenery while folks who want to look outside are shut out.

Through the best scenery in Montana - the part through Glacier National Park, which also featured narration by a park volunteer - several people used up the seat next to them with a giant camera bag.

I get that the train is photo-friendly, but if you can't fit your bag on the floor by your feet, you A) have too much stuff, and B) are very rude.

Go up to them and ask them is the seat taken. If they say no, great, sit down. If they say yes, say that you will sit there until that person returns.

Alternatively, you can politely- but very firmly- throw their camera bag across the car and sit down. ;)

Go up to them and ask them is the seat taken. If they say no, great, sit down. If they say yes, say that you will sit there until that person returns.
That's a great idea. Maybe then they'll just get up and leave, and YOU get the whole space to yourself! ;-)

So along these lines, how long IS it polite to take up oxygen in the SSL? When I took the CZ last time, the SSL was really only packed between Denver and Winterpark. I want to get some good art times in with my sketchbook but I don't want people likening me to a reptile ;)

So along these lines, how long IS it polite to take up oxygen in the SSL? When I took the CZ last time, the SSL was really only packed between Denver and Winterpark. I want to get some good art times in with my sketchbook but I don't want people likening me to a reptile ;)
I usually just scan the car every so often to see how packed it is, combined with how many times people come to the doorway, scan it, and then leave because there aren't any seats open. In that case, I'll sit for about an hour or so and then leave. It's the people who camp in a crowded car all day and evening that annoy people.

That said, if there are a few seats available on a consistent basis, meaning anyone who comes in will have a seat, I'll hang out for as long as I want (but usually no more than 2-3 hours). If a large group comes in and needs more seats than are available, and I've been there for an hour or so, I'll get up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If sleeping pax fill the SSL, it is a problem. If there are still many open seats, it is not.

That's a great idea. Maybe then they'll just get up and leave, and YOU get the whole space to yourself! ;-)
And then you can be the rude person taking two seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back