Silver Meteor Boarding Procedure at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking the Silver Meteor for the first time this weekend, boarding at NYP heading to ORL. I was curious if the boarding procedure for the Silvers is the same as the LSL, NEC, etc. -- that is, it's just a line and no assigned seats? When I recently boarded the CL in Chicago, seat assignments were given out on the platform while boarding, but I did not experience this boarding the LSL at NYP. Are seat assignments generally only given out on trains with Superliner equipment? Or is it more based on the station (Chicago versus NYP, for example).

Thanks for any advice!!

Mike

I was curious if the boarding procedure for the Silvers is the same as the LSL, NEC, etc. -- that is, it's just a line and no assigned seats? When I recently boarded the CL in Chicago, seat assignments were given out on the platform while boarding, but I did not experience this boarding the LSL at NYP.
It's been close to a year now since then, but when I boarded the Meteor at NYP, the seats were definitely assigned both southbound and northbound. Don't recall if it was on the platform or in the station, but people were given specific seat numbers, and it worked well.

I have never boarded the Meteor in NYP in coach, but have boarded it in Orlando. Seats were assigned by the coach attendant as you board the train.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Orlando. I will do my best to make sure the weather is perfect for you. :lol: :lol: (I failed to provide good weather the last time a group of AU members were in town, and the_traveler will not let me live it down)

I will do my best to make sure the weather is perfect for you. :lol: :lol: (I failed to provide good weather the last time a group of AU members were in town, and the_traveler will not let me live it down)
No I won't!
ph34r.gif

When I traveled alone in coach on the Meteor last summer, I was assigned an aisle seat in the middle of a family group, even though it was obvious that there were many available window seats. In as nice a way as I could muster, I requested that the Coach Attendant assign me a window seat, and she complied (after a short lecture about how hard her job was). I thanked her profusely (no money changed hands!). This, of course, was leaving from NYP.

Ocala Mike

Thanks for the responses!! I'll be in coach, and have a somewhat hard time sleeping there, so I prefer the window seat so I've got a surface to lean on. It looks like I'll have a 50/50 chance of getting one. (Though I understand the reasoning for assigning seats on the long distance routes!).

I'll be sure to write up a trip report after the ride.

Mike

Mike,

Consider getting a Redcap then to help you down to the train. They'll get you down before the masses which if no seats are being assigned, assure you of your pick for seats. And if seats are being assigned, then at least you can talk/plead with the attendant for a window seat prior to the crowd arriving and stressing them out.

Mike,

Consider getting a Redcap then to help you down to the train. They'll get you down before the masses which if no seats are being assigned, assure you of your pick for seats. And if seats are being assigned, then at least you can talk/plead with the attendant for a window seat prior to the crowd arriving and stressing them out.
Honestly,

We shouldn't have to plead to get a reasonable request met without a lecture. I understand when the train is full and lots of passengers are there. But when the car is half full, the attendant should just smile and do it.

Mike,

Honestly,

We shouldn't have to plead to get a reasonable request met without a lecture. I understand when the train is full and lots of passengers are there. But when the car is half full, the attendant should just smile and do it.
<rant>

This whole business about assigned seat and yet we cannot assign seats when reservations are made is part of the asinine attitude at Amtrak that gets to me. Either have the thing open seating or assign seats when reservations are made, so that one can predict what is likely to be the seat that one will be at.

The definition of high quality operation is one that minimizes variations and maximizes predictability. This is a concept that appears to be quite foreign to Amtrak. So it is no wonder that quality of service is not one of its strong points. When quality happens, it happens due to heroic efforts of individuals, not because quality is part of the institutional culture.

And let us please not confuse irregular situations with normal operations to justify asinine policies.</rant>

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole business about assigned seat and yet we cannot assign seats when reservations are made is part of the asinine attitude at Amtrak that gets to me. Either have the thing open seating or assign seats when reservations are made, so that one can predict what is likely to be the seat that one will be at.
I agree with you there! Perhaps one day when e-ticketing is fully deployed, seat selection may be in the cards... It would be very helpful not just for window/aisle selection, but for proximity to bathrooms, dining, etc – I'm sure some people would prefer to be close to a restroom, while others would rather be on the opposite end of the car.

Though I believe some of their thought process is to try and keep people who are going to certain destinations in specific places on the train, i.e. in instances where only some doors open at a stop, or if you're going to the end of the line vs. an intermediate stop. I imagine trying to program such logic into an online reservation system could get quite complicated!

Mike

I find a $10 tip to the coach attendant you can usually get your choice of window or aisle and if possible 2 seats for yourself. When riding PHL-MIA $10 is well worth the sanity on a 28 hour trip.

I find a $10 tip to the coach attendant you can usually get your choice of window or aisle and if possible 2 seats for yourself. When riding PHL-MIA $10 is well worth the sanity on a 28 hour trip.
Would you do that while boarding (i.e. when they are giving you your assignment) or after the train is underway?

Would you do that while boarding (i.e. when they are giving you your assignment) or after the train is underway?
I would do it after boarding and being assigned an undesirable seat when the train is underway and the attendant returns to his seat. Dont forget its 50/50 you might get one you like automatically.

Airlines charge $20-50 for a priority seat choice in coach and thats for a 2-3 hour flight. Even Greyhound now has priority boarding with seat choice for a fee, So I feel $10 is well worth it to ensure an enjoyable journey.

For a northeast regional maybe not worth it but for a full day most definitely.

Wen i boarded the Empire Builder in SEA, I was not assigned at seat. When I boarded the Cascades in PDX i was. I think it depends on the departing station.

I would do it after boarding and being assigned an undesirable seat when the train is underway and the attendant returns to his seat. Dont forget its 50/50 you might get one you like automatically.

Airlines charge $20-50 for a priority seat choice in coach and thats for a 2-3 hour flight. Even Greyhound now has priority boarding with seat choice for a fee, So I feel $10 is well worth it to ensure an enjoyable journey.

For a northeast regional maybe not worth it but for a full day most definitely.
There are no coach attendants on NEC regional trains.

<rant>

This whole business about assigned seat and yet we cannot assign seats when reservations are made

And let us please not confuse irregular situations with normal operations to justify asinine policies.

</rant>
Amen!

When I make a reasonable request, I don't want to hear about stuff that an employee should be taking up with its supervisor. Besides if the job is so difficult, it would seem the attendant would be so busy that s/he wouldn't notice if you quietly moved your seat check and yourself to an empty seat.

That being said, I had the pleasure of riding coach on the SM several times recently in Florida; and I was impressed with the coach attendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back