Silver Star Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they are constantly sold out, they added ANOTHER sleeper on, AND they added the diner back as cash only what the results would be.
Yeah...

So, I just ran a very rough calculation. Assume that by losing the diner, Amtrak is losing $120 per roomette and $240 per bedroom per night (roomette number from other people's measurements, bedroom number a WAG based on the roomette number). But assume that Amtrak is gaining an average of $200 per roomette per night by selling the rooms formerly used by the crew and freeing up 5 rooms (WAG number based on intermediate bucket). This would be something like $1.7 million a year lost in revenue, net. (Multiply daily amounts by 365 x 2 for north and south departures. This isn't including any lost coach revenue, but so far there isn't much evidence of significant lost coach revenue on the Star.)

But my latest attempt to compute dining car expenses comes out to about $2.2 million / year (before accounting for lost revenue from occupied roomettes, since I counted that above); $100K per staff member x 5 staff/train x 4 trainsets, $50K maintenance per car x 4 trainsets. (I'm ignoring both the food -- as negligible -- and the coach payments for the food.)

(PS -- thanks Paulus for giving me some sort of order of magnitude number to use for car maintenance on more modern cars. Heritage car maintenance may be significantly higher than that, but probably not more than double, which would come to 2.4 million.)

Now redo the calculations with *three* sleepers. The lost revenue from losing the dining car (net) becomes $3.3 million. The dining car expenses remain $2.2 million. Suddenly the dining car is financially beneficial.

Economies of scale!

Perhaps two sleepers and one diner is worse financially for Amtrak than two sleepers and no diner.

But three sleepers and one diner is better financially for Amtrak than three sleepers and no diner.

And I think we're in consensus that on routes where the demand is there, three sleepers is better financially than two sleepers...

Looks to me like the Star should be beefed up to three sleepers along with the restoration of its dining car. If the Cardinal ever goes daily, as it should, it is likely to develop enough demand to be beefed up to three sleepers + a dining car too. (The Crescent may benefit from this as well perhaps, though it has the problem of weak demand south of Atlanta.)

Conclusion: All single-level trains with dining cars should have three sleepers minimum. Amtrak can't get the Viewliner IIs soon enough!

----

And frankly Amtrak needs even more sleepers. ASAP. Adding a 4th sleeper to the Meteor, one sleeper (no diner) to #66/67, one through sleeper on the Pennsy to the Capitol Limited, 3 sleepers to Atlanta and 1 to New Orleans on the Crescent, 3 sleepers daily on the Cardinal, 3 sleepers on the Star, 4th on the LSL or 2nd on the Pennsy, add 20% shop time and even with the Viewliner IIs, there are no cars left for protect cars.

A reasonable proposal of 3 daily sleepers on every existing eastern train with sleepers, 4 on the Meteor, 1 on #66/67, 3 on the Pennsy/Cap, 6 protect cars, and 20% shop time, gives 90 sleepers desired as opposed to 75 (existing and ordered).

To convert the Cap to single-levels (desirable for consistency with the Pennsy and consistency on the Ohio/Indiana platforms) would call for another 12 sleepers or so; this would also take some pressure off the Superliner sleeper, diner, and lounge fleets. I think there are enough coaches to handle a single-level Cap for now, particularly as the Horizons come free and can be refurbished.

So Amtrak has 50 sleepers and is ordering 25 more; Amtrak needs another 27 on top of that. The original proposed order of 100 back when the Viewliner Is were ordered was about right.

(I also come up with immediately useful applications for 5 more dining cars, based on the above.)

20% shop time may be too much, or maybe protect cars don't need shop time, which would cut these numbers some. Use of bag-dorms might cut the number of sleepers needed a little as well. But it still doesn't change the result that more sleepers are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some anecdotal information to add to what Nathanael just posted, Years ago, when the Cardinal was running Superliner out of Was., It had NO problem filling 2 Superliner sleepers all summer and most of rest of the year with limited exception of midweek off season travel...

Nathaniel, the Cap would require only 9 Sleepers to equip each consist with three Sleepers. The Cap needs only three consists.

Basically, the LSL, a single level Cap and a daily Card all with three Sleepers would altogether require 27 Sleepers. The three southern LDs each with 3 Sleepers require 36. Counting 12 for maintenance and protect adds up to 75.

Here is a case where a more reliable schedule that is shorter by a couple of hours could reduce the consist requirement for the Cap to only 2, something which could be within the realm of achievability. Also some rescheduling, added schedule reliability and slight reduction in running time could reduce the consist requirement for the Meteor to 3 from 4. This would enable upping the Sleeper count on two trains selected carefully to 4 from 3.

Shows the incredible importance of schedule reliability and reducing running times as much as possible even within the current constraints.

Rode 91 yesterday in coach. About half the people brought food of some kind on board. The other half seemed happy with the lounge car. Didn't hear a single complaint about no diner - either the fact that there was no diner, or the fact that coach prices were the same as they were before.

Don't know what the sleeper patronage was, but at the reduced prices I assume it was high. I think the diner is toast if you'll pardon the pun. This is the Southwest Airlines model and it works. Railfans, suck it up.

If I was traveling in Coach and the train had no proper Diner, I sure would not want to pay the same fare as for a train that does carry full food service.
AFAICT the Palmetto which has never had a Diner and the Silvers which have had Diners have seemingly had the same Coach buckets for say NYP to SAV. So I don;t think your expectations were ever met on the Atlantic Coast Service.

Looking at Amsnag randomly it looks like the Star Coach is running slightly more in higher bucket than Meteor Coach at least upto Georgia, suggesting that the Coach on it which has the same buckets as on the Meteor is a bit more popular than Meteor. This is partly explained by the fact that the Star touches on more populous places in North Carolina with more frequent train service I suppose.

Nathaniel, the Cap would require only 9 Sleepers to equip each consist with three Sleepers. The Cap needs only three consists.traints.
jis: add a protect car in DC (not needed for any other service), and a 20% shop count.
I'm really unsure about those shop count percentages. I wish I could get a better handle on what is a desirable/appropriate shop count. But the last I heard was 20%, although it does seem high.

Shows the incredible importance of schedule reliability and reducing running times as much as possible even within the current constraints.
Certainly. Faster trips mean (a) higher revenue (b) lower operating costs and eventually © less rolling stock needed. South of the Lake I tell you!

Rode 91 yesterday in coach. About half the people brought food of some kind on board.
Amtrak is going to have to hire additional coach cleaners. And probably reupholster the cars more often. And they're going to find a crunch on carry-on luggage capacity.
There are always tradeoffs, and I'm pretty sure they haven't calculated them.

Nathaniel, the Cap would require only 9 Sleepers to equip each consist with three Sleepers. The Cap needs only three consists.traints.
jis: add a protect car in DC (not needed for any other service), and a 20% shop count.
I'm really unsure about those shop count percentages. I wish I could get a better handle on what is a desirable/appropriate shop count. But the last I heard was 20%, although it does seem high.
I just totaled up the consist counts and then took 20% as shop + protect, which is the way it is done now anyway. Push comes to shove protect cars are easy to move up and down the corridor, using perhaps Sunnyside as the central repository for them. Already if Boston needs a protect it gets it from Sunnyside. No protect Sleeper is kept in Boston.

All that Ivy City has to do is decide as soon as they get the incoming consist on whether all the Sleepers are in ship shape to go back rather than wait until 5 minutes before the consist needs to be released for service.

Rode 91 yesterday in coach. About half the people brought food of some kind on board. The other half seemed happy with the lounge car. Didn't hear a single complaint about no diner - either the fact that there was no diner, or the fact that coach prices were the same as they were before.
It's also possible that the folks who cared either moved to the Meteor or found other options besides Amtrak. The true impact might take more than a single data point to establish. Ten years of system wide ridership increases implies that there is some additional positive pressure that may overwhelm any short term changes.

Don't know what the sleeper patronage was, but at the reduced prices I assume it was high. I think the diner is toast if you'll pardon the pun. This is the Southwest Airlines model and it works. Railfans, suck it up.
It's also the Southern Pacific model that nearly killed the Sunset Limited.

I just totaled up the consist counts and then took 20% as shop + protect, which is the way it is done now anyway.
9 * 1.2 = 10.8, which means roughly 11 cars needed for the Cap to have 3 each for 3 consists.
OK, I'll recalculate. This is conservative:

4 * 4 Meteor

4 * 3 Star

4 * 3 Crescent

3 * 3 Cardinal

3 * 3 Cap (or 3 * 2, shift to Pennsy)

3 * 1 Pennsy/Cap (or 3 * 2, shift from Cap)

3 * 3 LSL

2 * 1 #66/67

-----

72 in use

* 1.2 = 86.4

50 + 25 = 75 < 86.4. By 11.4, or roughly what it would take to equip the Capitol.

Making the Capitol single-level is probably the best way to deal with the shrinking Superliner sleeper / diner / lounge supply in the near future, but to do so more Viewliners are needed.

The real problem is, I can see a commercial case for expanding most of these trains to carry even *more* sleeping cars.

Anyway, mixing up protect cars and shop count isn't actually a good way of counting from a business point of view. It probably works OK for really large numbers, but it fails badly for small classes of cars, like the 26 dining cars. With 21 cars in use at any time, a 20% shop count would call for 4 additional cars; but at least 4 protect cars are required, which leaves no room for anything to actually go in the shop.

I just totaled up the consist counts and then took 20% as shop + protect, which is the way it is done now anyway.
9 * 1.2 = 10.8, which means roughly 11 cars needed for the Cap to have 3 each for 3 consists.
I don't think protects are computed on a per train basis. They are counted based on the grossed up totals, and distributed as necessary. That is why I did not count anything just for the Cap. I just totaled things up for all single level trains and added 20%. No one will ever keep two Sleepers for protect in Washington DC. Just won;t happen. And Chicago will just keep a pool of probably two cars at most (if that) for the three trains.
Yup I do generally agree with your revised calculations. I was not counting anything for 66/67 or for Pennsy/Cap through cars.

I do observe however if we can reduce the consist need for the Cap to two and for the Meteor to three, and limiting Meteor to 3 Sleepers, we could almost squeeze in the Pennsy and 66/67 within the 75 cars.

Certainly. Faster trips mean (a) higher revenue (b) lower operating costs and eventually © less rolling stock needed. South of the Lake I tell you!
The Silvers and the Palmetto are been doing poorly in the past month for OTP. Lots of 1,2,3 hour late arrivals at the major endpoint stations. Using the Status Maps Archive database tools, the Silvers have been encountering delays between ALX to RVR to PTB, and then the usual delays between PTB and Fayetteville. The good news is that over the next 5-6 years and presumably within the 10-12 year timeframe, Virginia is going to fund significant improvements from ALX to the turnoff to NFK south of PTB. Then Amtrak just needs for CSX to decide that they should fully doubletrack the A-line from south of PTB to south of Selma NC. Easier said than done though.

Only 6% of sleeper passengers, and 2% of all passengers, ride it for the full 30+ hour duration.
While I am sure that such is factually correct, I would be more of the mind to think of overnight passengers rather than strictly NYP to MIA/MIA to NYP. The percentage of sleeper and the percentage of all passengers who get on, somewhere, let's say by 6pm (pre dinner), and get off, let's say, after 8am (post breakfast).

American passenger rail seems to be showing signs of trying to drag itself out of the first half of the 20th century into the first half of the 21st century. And it's about time too! And it's a struggle every inch of the way. Not just Amtrak - all passenger rail transportation, included CAHSR, the TX project, FEC/AAF meet obstacles and resistance from every imagined and unimagined source. Funding woes, ancient infrasturcture woes, old and inappropriate ROWs, resistance from freight RRs, resistance from NIMBYs and on and on.
If Amtrak is to remake itself into a transportation company as the US Congress seems to desire it has to focus on getting folks from A to B in ways that are appealing to folks wanting to get to B from A - not on steaks, not on rotating menus, not on white cloth tablecovers, not on sitdown table service in an incredibly difficult & expensive faux restaurant setting. We know how hard and unrealistic it is because we constantly complain about it!! It no longer works and Amtrak looks like they realize that and are trying to figure out what the 21st century picture looks like. For those who continue to like a nostalgic taste of early 20th century rail travel there are quite a few options available - private non-subsidized companies where you will get what you pay for.
What Amtrak is going to do with 25 new diners I don't know - perhaps modify them to something more useful.

There will always be food service with food available for purchase. Whether that is done in an environment with wait staff or with a buffet self bussed arrangement is one thing to be settled. The other is the variety of items to be made available on the menu. I don't think anything is off the table. But I do doubt very much that we are headed towards SP style automats.

It's also possible that the folks who cared either moved to the Meteor or found other options besides Amtrak. The true impact might take more than a single data point to establish. Ten years of system wide ridership increases implies that there is some additional positive pressure that may overwhelm any short term changes.

It's also the Southern Pacific model that nearly killed the Sunset Limited.
I rode in the shorts car where (by definition) everyone on board leaving DC southbound will detrain north of Savannah. Most were headed to Raleigh or Columbia... no Meteor or Palmetto for them. Amtrak knows that people who ride end-to-end are already on the Meteor. That's why your second point is apples and oranges. The Star has mostly a short-distance clientele, intra-Florida on the one hand and NEC-Carolinas on the other. Either type of patron can do without the diner.

The percentage of sleeper and the percentage of all passengers who get on, somewhere, let's say by 6pm (pre dinner), and get off, let's say, after 8am (post breakfast).
Maybe that could be figured using the data here: http://www.narprail.org/our-issues/ridership-statistics/ And maybe that's why Anderson chose WAS & ORL as the end points.
Q for Anderson: Is that why you picked WAS & ORL?
Paulus had that only 6% of sleeper passengers go between NYP and MIA. I was afraid that such might imply that the other 94% of sleeper passengers only travel for a short couple of stops (and have no need for any meals), and was hoping to get some clarification on that point.

Paulus had that only 6% of sleeper passengers go between NYP and MIA. I was afraid that such might imply that the other 94% of sleeper passengers only travel for a short couple of stops (and have no need for any meals), and was hoping to get some clarification on that point.
Selecting NYP and MIA is a selective subset of the ridership stats for the Silvers. Orlando is a busier station for both the Meteor and Star than Miami. The top two city pairs by revenue for the Star are NYP-ORL and NYP to Tampa. The top two city pairs by both revenue and ridership for the Meteor are NYP-ORL and WAS-ORL. The Star gets a fair amount of intrastate FL business with TPA-MIA and TPA-WPB as the top two city pairs by ridership.
According to the 2013 NARP stats sheets, the average trip distance for the Star in coach was 471 miles and 844 miles for sleeper class. So the average trip in coach for the Star is still a longer distance then the NEC from WAS to BOS (457 miles). For the Meteor, the average trip in coach was 567 miles and 925 miles for sleeper class. Longer average distances than the Star, but not by a huge amount.

One thing that might need to be considered when eventually comparing any cost savings due to elimination of the Star Diner - by comparison with the Meteor - is the number of meals available in their Diners on a round trip prior to the test period (hope I have these figured correctly):

• For NYP <> MIA, 10 meals are available on the Star but only 7 on the Meteor

• For WAS <> ORL, 4 meals are available on the Star but only 3 on the Meteor

Please note that the fourth word is might, as I have no idea how the comparison will be made. Maybe the number of meals available makes no difference - I just don't know.

One thing that might need to be considered when eventually comparing any cost savings due to elimination of the Star Diner - by comparison with the Meteor - is the number of meals available in their Diners on a round trip prior to the test period (hope I have these figured correctly):

• For NYP <> MIA, 10 meals are available on the Star but only 7 on the Meteor

• For WAS <> ORL, 4 meals are available on the Star but only 3 on the Meteor

Please note that the fourth word is might, as I have no idea how the comparison will be made. Maybe the number of meals available makes no difference - I just don't know.
OK. My estimates, which may be wrong (but probably aren't), are that the actual cost of food is insignificant to the costs of dining car operation. The *duration of the train's journey*, which determines the hours of wages paid to the OBS staff, is significant, but the actual number of meals is insigificant.

More meals served means more revenue, however. So more meals is actually better financially for the dining car, if you keep the number of hours on the train constant. (And why doesn't the eastbound LSL offer dinner, again?)

I don't think protects are computed on a per train basis. They are counted based on the grossed up totals, and distributed as necessary.
When I was counting protect cars individually, I was specifically assigning one each to Miami, New Orleans, and Chicago, and two to New York (or one to New York and one to Boston). For the Cap to be single-level, I figured one really ought to add one at DC. This number doesn't scale according to the number of cars in use; it's just a baseline.

I have always been of the opinion that the eastbound LSL should do a one hour to one and a half hour dinner starting immediately after departure from Albany if running on time. But multiple feedback to Amtrak to that effect has had no effect. I think they went into their circular file.

The Star has mostly a short-distance clientele, intra-Florida on the one hand and NEC-Carolinas on the other. Either type of patron can do without the diner.
Absolute nonsense: you've apparently forgotten Tampa. Tampa-(North Carolina, Virginia, NEC) is a major market for the Star.

Ride the southbound Star. Count heads in coach departing Alexandria, count again departing Columbia (although some of these will have boarded at Raleigh), and count a third time departing Tampa. You'll see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back