Sleeper Car Direction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
This is kind of a silly question...but on long distance superliner trains, are the sleepers always facing the same direction? By that I mean are the roomettes always closer to the engine. Why I'm asking is, in looking at some train videos it appears some lower windows are "turned around" which would make the bedrooms closer to the engine.

This is kind of a silly question...but on long distance superliner trains, are the sleepers always facing the same direction? By that I mean are the roomettes always closer to the engine. Why I'm asking is, in looking at some train videos it appears some lower windows are "turned around" which would make the bedrooms closer to the engine.
They can face either direction - you never know until you board the train.

IIRC, on my trip last fall, the CL's sleepers had the bedrooms towards the engine and the CZ did too...or at least the car we were in.

They can face either direction - you never know until you board the train.
While true, of course, it has been pretty consistent on the AT that the bedroom sleeper windows face the train station. They have for all of my trips, so far. Consistent enough that I feel confident in picking a particular room such that I face the direction of travel.

On the EB that I was just on (the first train set), the 30 car had bedrooms towards the diner (towards the back of the train) and the 31 car had bedrooms towards the front of the train. So even on that train set the sleepers were in opposite directions.

On the EB that I was just on (the first train set), the 30 car had bedrooms towards the diner (towards the back of the train) and the 31 car had bedrooms towards the front of the train. So even on that train set the sleepers were in opposite directions.
Well, with that trip, you probably did feel like you didn't know if you were coming or going. :giggle:

AmtrakBlue said:
1342813674[/url]' post='381577']
amamba said:
1342813132[/url]' post='381568']On the EB that I was just on (the first train set), the 30 car had bedrooms towards the diner (towards the back of the train) and the 31 car had bedrooms towards the front of the train. So even on that train set the sleepers were in opposite directions.
Well, with that trip, you probably did feel like you didn't know if you were coming or going. :giggle:
I've had the same thing happen. I forget which train (they all blur together
laugh.gif
), I've had 1 car bedroom first and the other Roomette first. I think this happened last on the Silver Star in May.

Many times I don't know if I'm coming or going. In fact, a few times I've even passed myself on trains going opposite directions!
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am like a zombie right now. I have no idea what is going on! :) All I can tell you is that it is 4:45 PM and we still haven't reached ALB on the 48/448 - and we just sat on a siding while a CSX freight roared past us (same direction we are going).

The reason I'm wondering about this sleeper direction thing is this.......I have roomette #3 on both legs of round trip on EB. Silly me thought "great, that means I'll see the scenery on both sides of the train." But I guess there's only about a 50/50 chance of that. Except for the AT mentioned earlier, anyone notice a preponderance of one way or the other (especially on the EB.)

I am like a zombie right now. I have no idea what is going on! :) All I can tell you is that it is 4:45 PM and we still haven't reached ALB on the 48/448 - and we just sat on a siding while a CSX freight roared past us (same direction we are going).
I must be dense, because I still don't understand this. Why would a freight pass a passenger train going the same direction? At worst the passenger speed would be the same as freight, and ideally would be faster, so what benefit is there to stop the passenger train on a siding in such an instance?!

Texas Sunset said:
1342823794[/url]' post='381633']
amamba said:
1342816796[/url]' post='381599']I am like a zombie right now. I have no idea what is going on! :) All I can tell you is that it is 4:45 PM and we still haven't reached ALB on the 48/448 - and we just sat on a siding while a CSX freight roared past us (same direction we are going).
I must be dense, because I still don't understand this. Why would a freight pass a passenger train going the same direction? At worst the passenger speed would be the same as freight, and ideally would be faster, so what benefit is there to stop the passenger train on a siding in such an instance?!
If the train is late, it is out of it's slot, and because Amtrak does not own the tracks, CSX can run their trains as they wish. They schedule Amtrak to be at a certain place at 1:36. If the Amtrak train does not show up at that spot until 4:52, and CSX has it's own freight scheduled at that spot at 4:52, who do you think will get priority?
huh.gif

Regardless of the train car direction, can the Roomette beds be made up with the head at either end?
\
On Superliners - Yes. On Viewliners - no.
While there is only 1 direction to make up a berth on a Viewliner Roomette, feet towards the commode, on Superliners the berth should be made with feet towards the locomotive so that in the unlikely event of a sudden stop they absorb the impact and not your head.

I didn't even try to remember which direction the sleepers were......I was confused enough on the CZ last weekend because all sleepers were on the back end of the train. :cool:

The reason I'm wondering about this sleeper direction thing is this.......I have roomette #3 on both legs of round trip on EB. Silly me thought "great, that means I'll see the scenery on both sides of the train." But I guess there's only about a 50/50 chance of that. Except for the AT mentioned earlier, anyone notice a preponderance of one way or the other (especially on the EB.)
On the EB I prefer the north-side roomette - because you have view of the Sound out of Seattle (where the roomettes or actually on the West Side) and the River between Saint Paul and LaCrosse - and in the Rockies better viewing of the high perspective thousands of feet down down to the Flathead etc - rather than looking out at the rock wall on the other side of the train. Even at Wisconsin Dells the view is better from the north side.

But - no guarantees what way a roomette will be facing on the EB.

Spend time in the SSL or dining car where you can see out both sides of the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back