Sleeper LD-I'm hooked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassie225

Is there a post that says once you go sleeper long diistance, overnight, you're hooked. I changed my travel dates to go back to NO so I could get a sleeper. Meals included for 2, personal Attendent , stayed up late in lounge car laughing and talking with other passengers. Coach passengers said they tried to put them to bed, but that wasn't happening. We talked kids, politics, religion everything. Amtrak personnell came by, talked with us. Can't get that on a plane!! First class on plane at least 1000. Amtrak worth every penny. Great experience!!!

glad you had a great trip. Sounds like you are definitely hooked.

Is there a post that says once you go sleeper long diistance, overnight, you're hooked. I changed my travel dates to go back to NO so I could get a sleeper. Meals included for 2, personal Attendent , stayed up late in lounge car laughing and talking with other passengers. Coach passengers said they tried to put them to bed, but that wasn't happening. We talked kids, politics, religion everything. Amtrak personnell came by, talked with us. Can't get that on a plane!! First class on plane at least 1000. Amtrak worth every penny. Great experience!!!
Personally, I sleep better on a moving train. The beds in the sleepers are comfortable, there is something about showering on a moving train that is more refreshing, something about waking up in the morning as the sun rises trying to guess where we are, something about seeing the sleepy small towns we go through, something about dinner in the diner, something about that first cup of coffee waiting in your car, something about hearing the rain hit the glass, something about hearing the semifores as you cross the grade crossings, have I left anything out?

:) :) :)

I totally agree

I've only done LD in sleepers (once as a kid and then last year), but may be doing coach in a few weeks because I'll be booking last minute and won't be able to afford a room(ette). However, if by luck there is a room(ette) available when I board or somewhere along the trip, I may ask for an upgrade.

I can only imagine what it would be like with rain. I love rain. I really couldn't believe I slept as well as I did. The bed was really quite comfy. Showering is something I'm gonna have to work up to. Couldn't quite do that yet. Hope we were not kinda ripe when we got off train!! Now all I gotta do us convince hubbie to get on train. Attendent suggested train with family room or said they can do a suite with 2 bedrooms. That sounds kinda expensive!!

A family room is only on Superkiners (2 level trains) and a Bedroom Suite is only 2 Bedrooms next to each other with a door between them. It costs the same as 2 bedrooms!
ohmy.gif
I personally would rather get 2 roomettes across the hall from each other!
excl.gif

And yes,once you've tried a sleeper, you don't want to go back!
smile.gif

We overnighted in coach for many years- had roomettes on our 2010 cross-country Amtrak trip and this year

will have roomettes across from each other on the Southwest Chief- as the top bunk of those roomettes

are not roomy. Really going all out this time and looking forward to the LSL (with 1 roomette), the SWC (2 roomettes),

and

the Cardinal for the first time.

Here's a question I'm facing. For an upcoming LD round trip, I can only afford a roomette one way. Is it better to be in the sleeper on the way out or the way back? I'm thinking probably the way back.

Here's a question I'm facing. For an upcoming LD round trip, I can only afford a roomette one way. Is it better to be in the sleeper on the way out or the way back? I'm thinking probably the way back.
I personally prefer going up in class of service over the course of a trip. I remember being more than usually unhappy to be in a crowded coach overnight at the end of a trip spent mostly in bedrooms.

At the beginning of a trip, I'm all excited about traveling, and am more willing to put up with things, than at the end of the trip.

I personally prefer going up in class of service over the course of a trip. I remember being more than usually unhappy to be in a crowded coach overnight at the end of a trip spent mostly in bedrooms.

At the beginning of a trip, I'm all excited about traveling, and am more willing to put up with things, than at the end of the trip.
I completely agree!!!

Have Fun

I think it should be on the way back because you'll have it to look forward to.

Leigh, normally I wouldn't reply to such a query as response can be very subjective.

However,,,I'd take Sleeper outbound, and Coach inbound. Going back to childhood, the outbound trip always has been more exciting and anticipated with glee. Conversely, the return inbound trip has been a bit anticlimactic in that "vacation's over, time to go back home." So the setting of Coach would correspond to my mood on the return.

Yeh, same reaction I had. Beat any first class trip I took by air. Champagne and chocolates in my roomette at departure. I was freaked.

Great to hear you had a fabulous trip. My first Amtrak holiday is in three months, two weeks and a few days, not that I'm counting. Our entire holiday is based on the train travel and my partner and I can't wait. We have six nights in total on board the train circling the country , thankfully in bedrooms and I'm looking forward to all the things mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am as well. :)

As long as you get nice quiet neighbors, you're good to go. You have to be careful though with some of the SuperLiner "full bedrooms." If you are in one that faces another (e.g D-E or B-C), all you have between you is a flimsy partition door, and the sound definitely carries, no matter how quiet you try to be. One can definitely hear the "flushing." :eek:

Because the sleeper was so good I changed my return travel date by a day so I could have sleeper going back . Could have booked in the beginning but my husband said in the beginning he would go back on the train, so we booked coach, he changed his mind and is flying back. Kinda upset but we were able to snag a bedroom for return trip. My question is- do the H rooms ever open up after they are booked. We don't have a wheelchair so I think my daughter will be ok in bedroom A on the Crescent 19. Will the sink be kinda in the way. Her walking is very unstable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back