Sleeper Logic!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdisnie

Train Attendant
Hi All,

Just got off the phone with Amtrak Reservations about an upcoming trip and it seems Amtrak will not allow three people (2 adults and 1 Child) in a deluxe room anymore. The new rule is that only two people can be in the same room. I asked them what am I suppose to do with my 6 year old and to my amazement there reply was get her a roomette!!! My family and I have been traveling Amtrak and getting the same room for many years and have never heard of such a thing, this is ridiculous!!!!! I could understand if my daughter was older and bigger then she is now but come on, I really see no need to spend the extra money for a roomette that either my wife or I has to sleep in because the room is not big enough for three, while all of these years it has been fine by Amtrak!! Yes I will admit it is not a suite but for one night I do not see a problem.

Oh, I might add this is not about the money!! I just don't get Amtrak's logic at times. Whats next one one person to a roomette. IMO Amtrak should start realizing that the people who are coming over from the airlines will not put up with the same insane rules and regs that the airlines are imposing and will go right back to the airlines and will leave Amtrak again screaming that ridership is declining, and we can't figure out why. We need more money. They have a golden opportunity here to capitalize on the greediness of the airlines but they better watch it or they will lose out for many years to come. If they lose these transfers now they will never get them back.

Sorry for the rant but this has me steaming!!!! :angry:

MrDisnie

Call back and talk to another agent. You will be amazed how some of them come up with their own rules.

This could be a new policy, but I doubt it. Course, online would not allow it either.

I was able to book three people into a bedroom only a week ago. Chances are, the agent is wrong, and this certainly wouldn't be the first time an Amtrak agent provided incorrect information. I would suggest calling again, and if you get the same story, ask to speak to a supervisor and confirm this change.

They can be wrong about the most basic thiings. Don't take that answer for a minute. A few years ago Amtrak changed nomenclature on their sleeping car rooms and I got somebody who did not know that, about a year after it happened. What used to be called economy bedrooms began being called roomettes, and the agent I got did know that.

Incredible.

Speaking of agents who like to make up their own rules (this is going off on a tangent a bit), yesterday I spoke to an AGR agent who claimed that there was no roomette availability on the train I wanted even though I saw plenty on amtrak.com. When I brought that fact to her attention, she gave me a long lecture about how the room might not be available for points even though it is available for purchase, due to capacity controls. She sounded so sure, for a few minutes there she had me convinced that AGR implemented capacity controls. Fortunately, I called again, and got a different agent, who heard nothing about capacity controls and was able to book the roomette I wanted.

... 6 year old ... My family and I have been traveling Amtrak and getting the same room for many years
Not to defend Amtrak, but a 6 year old "many years" ago would have been 2 or 3 years old. You know bedroom berths (there is no "deluxe" anymore) are small, and not very comfortable for 2 to share 1 berth. There is a size difference between a 6 year old and a 2 year old! :rolleyes:

I am confused. :unsure:

Are we talking about a roomette, or a bedroom?

I know that officially, as noted on the website, that both are listed as for only two passengers, though for the bedroom its description adds "can accommodate three".

Is it now subjective for three?

... 6 year old ... My family and I have been traveling Amtrak and getting the same room for many years
Not to defend Amtrak, but a 6 year old "many years" ago would have been 2 or 3 years old. You know bedroom berths (there is no "deluxe" anymore) are small, and not very comfortable for 2 to share 1 berth. There is a size difference between a 6 year old and a 2 year old! :rolleyes:
Actually, the 6 year old was 5 years old 4 months ago when we were all in the same room. My family and I take at least two over night Amtrak trips per year and we have never had an issue like this before. I also made my upcoming summer vacation reservations about 6 months ago and again no issue, so I really have no idea what Amtrak is doing.

I did mention that a deluxe room is not a suite and am well aware of the size but to be told that I have to buy a roomette in addition to the deluxe room is a little absorb!!! The best part is that can use my AAA card for a discount on the deluxe room but cannot use it for the roomette, why you might ask? Well according to Amtrak since it is my daughters room and she does not have a AAA card there can be no discount!!!!! You have to love the logic and this is a government agency, no wonder we are all screwed up!!!!!!! :eek:

MrDisnie

I am confused. :unsure:
Are we talking about a roomette, or a bedroom?

I know that officially, as noted on the website, that both are listed as for only two passengers, though for the bedroom its description adds "can accommodate three".

Is it now subjective for three?
Tony,

You think your confused try being the one dealing with this.

We are talking about a deluxe bedroom not a roomette, but according to Amtrak there is no difference anymore, even though the deluxe is bigger then a roomette and has always been able to accommodate three, alibi a little cramped!!!!

Have you called back?

If they insist, you could go for the Family Bedroom, assuming you are on a Superliner train.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an effort to lesson confusion, that IMHO has only created more confusion, Amtrak no longer has Deluxe Bedrooms. That is now called simply a Bedroom. What used to be called the economy room, is now called a roomette.

And as others have already mentioned, call back and get a supervisor on the phone. I've heard of no changes to Amtrak policy that prevent putting three people in a bedroom.

According to what I see on amtrak.com, Bedroom

Our Bedroom is ideal for two passengers (but can accommodate three). Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...;accomm=Bedroom

They do not further describe the 3 passenger, small - medium - or larger person/kid.

But when I put in 3 adults, it show error. Tried 2 adults, 1 child, same result. Family bedroom, no issue.

Problem With Selected Accommodations: The accommodation you have selected is too small to accommodate the number of people traveling. Please select a different accommodation or increase the number of accommodations. Or, for additional assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

[Error ID:116A]

Three in a room hasn't been bookable online in quite a while. Amtrak does this so that the agent can warn the people that Amtrak doesn't recommend putting three into one room because of the limited space, but as long as you acknowledge that warning they will book three into a bedroom. And they will note that in your reservation record, just in case you later complain that the room was too small.

Actually, the 6 year old was 5 years old 4 months ago when we were all in the same room. My family and I take at least two over night Amtrak trips per year and we have never had an issue like this before. I also made my upcoming summer vacation reservations about 6 months ago and again no issue, so I really have no idea what Amtrak is doing.

I did mention that a deluxe room is not a suite and am well aware of the size but to be told that I have to buy a roomette in addition to the deluxe room is a little absorb!!! The best part is that can use my AAA card for a discount on the deluxe room but cannot use it for the roomette, why you might ask? Well according to Amtrak since it is my daughters room and she does not have a AAA card there can be no discount!!!!! You have to love the logic and this is a government agency, no wonder we are all screwed up!!!!!!! :eek:

MrDisnie
Government Agency??? :unsure:

Thanks All!!

I have not yet called back but will be doing so tonight, I will let everyone know the outcome. This should be interesting, one never knows what Amtrak logic one will get when you speak with an agent!!!!! :unsure:

I too have tried the Amtrak web page also and have come up with the same outcome, a bedroom cannot accommodate three anymore.

I wish I could get a family bedroom but unfortunately we are going to be on a viewliner not a superliner. I even checked the auto train to see if I could get three into a bedroom and it would not let me on that either, yes a family bedroom but not a deluxe or whatever they are called now!!!!! :blink:

MrDisnie

I even checked the auto train to see if I could get three into a bedroom and it would not let me on that either, yes a family bedroom but not a deluxe or whatever they are called now!!!!! :blink:
Well if you decide that you want to go with the Auto Train, then call the special AT phone number 1-877-754-7495. The agents there are better trained in all aspects of the AT and I'm pretty sure that they'd have no problems putting the three of you into a bedroom. :)

I even checked the auto train to see if I could get three into a bedroom and it would not let me on that either, yes a family bedroom but not a deluxe or whatever they are called now!!!!! :blink:
Well if you decide that you want to go with the Auto Train, then call the special AT phone number 1-877-754-7495. The agents there are better trained in all aspects of the AT and I'm pretty sure that they'd have no problems putting the three of you into a bedroom. :)
We thought about the Auto Train, and have been on it numerous times, but the logistics involved would prohibit us from using it this time. Would love to use it again, since this is one of my favorite trains , but for this trip we will be using silver service. I have to admit Silver Service has gotten better with both OTP and service but cannot and will never compare to the Auto Train.

MrDisnie

Our Bedroom is ideal for two passengers (but can accommodate three). Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower.

Let me add "Designed for two passengers" which is in the feature's list on that web page. And point out, like a roomette, a bedroom still only has two beds.

I guess what confuses me, is I can certainly understand a reservation person at Amtrak might actually believe they are suppose to enforce that. Yea, we all know, from our experiences, that one can squeeze in a small kid. Heck, you can squeeze a kid into a roomette too (seen that MANY times).

But I would not really think that the reservation person is some kind of idiot, or down right incompetent, by actually taking those statements seriously. Wasn't it mentioned in another thread here, that Amtrak is indeed cracking down on this? So, would not that imply a policy change?

BTW, could the OP hold out, and reserve the "H" room?

Let me add "Designed for two passengers" which is in the feature's list on that web page. And point out, like a roomette, a bedroom still only has two beds.

I guess what confuses me, is I can certainly understand a reservation person at Amtrak might actually believe they are suppose to enforce that. Yea, we all know, from our experiences, that one can squeeze in a small kid. Heck, you can squeeze a kid into a roomette too (seen that MANY times).

But I would not really think that the reservation person is some kind of idiot, or down right incompetent, by actually taking those statements seriously. Wasn't it mentioned in another thread here, that Amtrak is indeed cracking down on this? So, would not that imply a policy change?

BTW, could the OP hold out, and reserve the "H" room?
Does anyone have a survey of how many agents have actually ridden on Amtrak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with a breakdown of what kinds of revenue seats / rooms they've actually traveled in?

I seem to recall that one of Michael Moore's friends who wrote a book about working for a GM plant in the 80s that built Suburbans (and possibly some other similar sized vehicles) didn't know anyone who owned a Suburban.

If Amtrak ever buys more new ``single level'' sleepers in the future, I wonder if I would make any sense to build them as 1.5 level sleepers, and to use the extra vertical space to build family roomettes with a third bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back