Sleeper protocol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
We will be embarking on an AMTRAK trip OMA-CHI-WAS-WPB-NYP-CHI-OMA in a few weeks. Departure time in OMA is around 5AM.....will the roomette be made up for night or day at that time? We would prefer it be a day setup as we will be going for breakfast shortly after we board. What is the protocol in the evening and morning? What time does the SCA expect to convert the room? Or are we expected to request it when we are ready? Or can we simply do it ourselves when we are ready? Sorry for all the questions, this our first time traveling in a sleeper..... :help:

What time does the SCA expect to convert the room?

Or are we expected to request it when we are ready?

Or can we simply do it ourselves when we are ready?
It is really a lot up to you. Just make your desires known to the SCA.

Though, typically, it is converted while you are breakfast and while you are at dinner.

Now, I do it myself. My kid uses the upper bunk as a play area/fort, during the day. And I convert the lower bunk sometime after he falls asleep.

While one can never be sure of these things because of the variability in service provided by the SCAs, I'd expect the room to be in a day configuration. One possibility you could run into would be where the room was not ready because it had been occupied by folks disembarking in OMA. In this case, the SCA will inform you they need a bit of time - usually no more than 10 minutes - to get the room ready for you. You could tell them at that time you want a day configuration. I usually convert the room myself, it is not tough to do, though you'll find the Viewliner sleeper easier to convert than a Superliner. If the SCA is any good at all they will assume that you will want them to convert the room mornings and evenings, so tell them if you want to do it yourself. They usually convert the room in the mornings when folks are at breakfast, unless you tell them otherwise, and you can tell them when you want the room converted in the evenings.

Hope this helps...

Now, I do it myself. My kid uses the upper bunk as a play area/fort, during the day. And I convert the lower bunk sometime after he falls asleep.
Don't ask me why but I've actually had some SCA's make a big fuss about me changing the setup on my own. Which is odd considering they obviously weren't going to do it without being tracked down and asked. Since I'm able-bodied I don't mind doing it, but I do mind being admonished for it. Oh well, it just makes it that much easier to blow off the tip.

They ALWAYS ask if we want our beds setup for the evening WAY too early for my liking. We always do it on our own...

Don't ask me why but I've actually had some SCA's make a big fuss about me changing the setup on my own. Which is odd considering they obviously weren't going to do it without being tracked down and asked. Since I'm able-bodied I don't mind doing it, but I do mind being admonished for it. Oh well, it just makes it that much easier to blow off the tip.
Was it during the last change of the run? The only time that I've had an attendant really want to do it on their own is when they were putting the beds away for the last time, because they collect up the linens at that time. If you do it yourself they have to wait for you to vacate the room, open the beds up and then collect the linens.

Since they stop getting paid when the train stops, I don't mind giving them a little help in getting off the train sooner by letting them put things away and collect the linens when we wake up on the last morning.

Was it during the last change of the run?
Nope, we weren't about to pull into the final station or anything. I know about the prep-work that occurs toward the end of the line and I don't mind letting them handle it their way at that time. This doesn't happen every time, but once in a while they seem to get bent out of shape and make some comment about how they're supposed to do it. I think some of these cars may be living on borrowed time with finicky mechanisms that are prone to fail and difficult to fix. Maybe that's why some of the SCA's get so particular about who does the setup.

Aloha

Unless something interferes I let the SCA know he is free to change the room while I am at breakfast or dinner. I send most of the time between meals in the lounge.

Was it during the last change of the run?
Nope, we weren't about to pull into the final station or anything. I know about the prep-work that occurs toward the end of the line and I don't mind letting them handle it their way at that time. This doesn't happen every time, but once in a while they seem to get bent out of shape and make some comment about how they're supposed to do it. I think some of these cars may be living on borrowed time with finicky mechanisms that are prone to fail and difficult to fix. Maybe that's why some of the SCA's get so particular about who does the setup.
I boarded the Capitol Limited at PGH once at around 5:30AM and my roomette was made up in the daytime configuration.

I don't think it is the SCA's doing in scolding you for making up your own bed. Amtrak is liable if your hand or foot gets mashed or worse. I'm quite certain, from talking to many SCA's, that bed making is their responsibility and Amtrak holds them to it. (Would you want to be an SCA and have to write up an accident report because a pax tried to make their bed and was injured?)And tracking down an SCA who might be downstairs delivering a physically challenged persons meal or taking 10 minutes to wolf down his/her meal is a sorry excuse for non-tipping. <_<

Amtrak is liable if your hand or foot gets mashed or worse. I'm quite certain, from talking to many SCA's, that bed making is their responsibility and Amtrak holds them to it. And tracking down an SCA who might be downstairs delivering a physically challenged persons meal or taking 10 minutes to wolf down his/her meal is a sorry excuse for non-tipping.
In general I don't ask for or require much of my SCA's, so if they want to do the vanishing act thing that's fine with me. Naturally they probably shouldn't expect a big tip after providing virtually no service but it's basically their call. The real experts can think on their feet and turn a few well timed gestures in a memorable experience. In other words they can simply find a way to make themselves useful without being asked and without having to bend over backward. I know because I've seen them do it many times before. The other folks, well, like I said it's their call. *shrug*

I don't think it is the SCA's doing in scolding you for making up your own bed. Amtrak is liable if your hand or foot gets mashed or worse. I'm quite certain, from talking to many SCA's, that bed making is their responsibility and Amtrak holds them to it. (Would you want to be an SCA and have to write up an accident report because a pax tried to make their bed and was injured?)And tracking down an SCA who might be downstairs delivering a physically challenged persons meal or taking 10 minutes to wolf down his/her meal is a sorry excuse for non-tipping. <_<
100% Agree. The SCA is responsible for converting the beds period. Now I've had SCA's ask me "you want me to come by or you just want to do it yourself?" and I've had SCA's who told me up front "Now when your ready for your bed please don't do it yourself, just let me know" and of course everything in between. If the SCA is fine with you converting the beds yourself and you wish to.. great. But don't board the train expecting to make your own rules.

I'd be interested to hear any stories of passengers injuring themselves and the end results, if known.

I usually find it annoying when my bed is put up or down while I'm at breakfast or dinner. I like sleeping in and going to bed late. On two day trips I will often go back to bed after breakfast. If the bed has been moved in the morning it isn't as bad, I can always crawl up into the bunk. But when the bed is down, and I'm not ready, it is an annoyance. Especially in roomettes once that bed goes down, you can't do much, you can't even sit upright if the upper bunk is down-- at least not comfortably.

Once on the CL out of CHI my SCA put my bed down during dinner-- at 7, I guess expecting I'd want to return to a bed. At 8:30 when I made my way back I politely requested they put the bed back so I could sit down and work on my computer. He complied and apologized-- coming back around 10 saying "last call if you want me to do it"

Oh well, it just makes it that much easier to blow off the tip.
Dax actively looks for ways to not tip the SCAs, that's rich.

Seriously, if you're not going to tip you don't need to search for reasons... just don't tip! It isn't like they shove their hand in your face and hold your bags hostage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can't find them I leave a note on the bed when I go to the diner.

I've learned to adjust the seat makeup on my own because I once had my eyeglasses fall below the bed while sleeping...and, well, let's just say that I'm not inclined to buzz the attendant at 4:30 in the morning for something so trivial, liability policy or not. With that said, the only case I'd make the bed up on my own is if the SCA went MIA for a long time...I've had times when I was just exhausted and I had to wait a long time for the SCA (presumably helping other passengers with their stuff), but that's the only time I've verged on doing it myself. I'm not talking ten minutes here...I'm thinking if I buzz when I get back from dinner and nothing has happened within half an hour or so.

That said, it's sometimes a bit annoying to come back to my bed being down if I'm not tired yet. Not that such happens much...I usually retire early on the train anyway (one of the many advantages of going by train...it encourages a reasonable bedtime most of the time), though on my way into Chicago in December, I was glad to be able to crash in my bed after breakfast until we got into Union Station: The late sunrise meant that I grabbed breakfast early and then went back to bed for about an hour since the sun wasn't up until well after 7:00 AM.

Technically, it is SCA's responsability to do all this...it becomes a liability / insurance issue, should you injure yourself handling some of the set-ups....perhaps this is why some SCAs will fuss about this.

Technically, it is SCA's responsability to do all this...it becomes a liability / insurance issue, should you injure yourself handling some of the set-ups....perhaps this is why some SCAs will fuss about this.
I think the propensity of the American public to sue anyone for any reason is more than a little overblown. If you watch the soundbite news on the telly you'd think everyone was busy suing everyone else, but I have never sued anyone. I've never even considered it. I know many businesses that have legal departments that have launched lawsuits against other businesses and have been sued by other businesses themselves, but that's about it.

I think the propensity of the American public to sue anyone for any reason is more than a little overblown. If you watch the soundbite news on the telly you'd think everyone was busy suing everyone else, but I have never sued anyone. I've never even considered it. I know many businesses that have legal departments that have launched lawsuits against other businesses and have been sued by other businesses themselves, but that's about it.
I've only come respectably close to a lawsuit was actually last week, when I had some trouble with a tow truck driver who altered the price on a tow after quoting the amount twice in front of a friend of mine who happened to be an attorney. Suffice it to say that they climbed down after a few hours of blustering back and forth (I don't take kindly to that sort of behavior, and I genuinely hope that if I ever try something like that, I'm firmly corrected).

The only other times I've been within *ahem* striking distance of a suit are two cases where someone threatened to punch me (both entertaining stories for another time) and one incident involving a suit coat that a dry cleaners led me to believe may have been damaged (it proved to be fine, but...said coat was exceedingly well-made and therefore rather expensive, which is the only reason the matter even crossed my mind).

In the mornings, I almost always put up one seat so as to have a bit of room to change, and fold the mattress/bedding onto the other side. Then the attendent makes it up the rest of the way for day use when I am at breakfast (usually). I've never had an attendent say one word about it.

I vastly prefer that the attendent put the bed down, though. They just set it up better and tighter than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back